• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon anime spin-offs

Years
  • What Pokemon spin-offs, net series, miniseries or other specials have you watched like Evolutions etc, and what's your favorite?

I have seen a little of Chronicles and Twilight Wings, not maybe enough to give a take on it yet, though i did like Legend of Thunder episodes that were about Raikou in Chronicles, and thought the 4th episode of Twilight Wings I think called Early Evening Waves was really uplifting and beautiful. What I have seen all of is Pokemon Origins though. It is nostalgic and I think the music tracks are awesome. I would say the storytelling was a little rushed, and wish it could have been like 8 episodes instead of four, but it was still decent.

I really enjoyed the Mega Evolution special during XY, and liked how it explored more of Alain's story, and always thought he was an interesting rival. My favorite outside of the television series is probably Generations. It's visually a work of art, and really makes the Pokemon universe come alive, despite how brief they are, it always features an interesting situation that shows us a cool facet of the Pokemon world.

How about some of you?

Last edited:
    Years
  • All of them are amazing. <3 I gotta say that I think Twilight Wings and Chronicles (Legend of Thunder especially) are my favorites so far. Chronicles I have a lot of nostalgia for, they were some of the first episodes I watched in Japanese too. Agree with you on Origins though, though I liked it a lot regardless because well.. Pokémon ahah.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2021
    Pokemon Generations Episode 3 was my favorite by far.
    Blue / Gary is my favorite character so it was nice to see him stomping the whole Elite Four 😁

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am gonna have to go through all of them to remember honestly. I've watched everything, but I have largely forgotten everything that goes on in them or I get their names mixed up other than Chronicles.

Pokemon Chronicles - I think it was a good way to explore characters that were not with Ash. And while they don't really call them Chronicles anymore, they have continued to do this in tid bits, although I don't think we got any in Alola. Back to chronicles, I honestly don't remember much of it, but I do love Casey and I really want her to return in the future. So 'Those Darn Electabuzz!' is probably one of my favorites that I can remember. And of course, I freaking love all the Holiday like episodes though I don't remember them. They have made so many holiday and Christmas episodes, I wish they would return.

Pokemon Generations - I think this has been my favorite set of side episodes. I especially love the Unovan episodes. "The Uprising" is also amazing, seeing all the gym leaders clash with Plasma.

Twilight Wings - I can't really say much, though I am glad they showed Sonia off a bit. And while I watched every episode, it just didn't grab my attention like other spin offs.

Poketoon - I have not watched all these.... honestly I didn't know there was more than one or two episodes. So I definitely need to go watch them.

Mega Evolution - I think Mega Evolution was probably my favorite above all other spin offs. It tied in with the main anime well and I just loved every episode. It slowly built up till the ending and when they cross over, it was just amazing.

And while it is not an offical series, the anime trailers for Pokemon Black and White 2 were also extremly amazing, and probably could easily tie in with Generations.

Pokemon Evolution - I can't wait to see these episodes. The last one was amazing. I can't wait to see Alder more. And what they are gonna do with Lugia and the Burnt Tower this time, since they have gone over it countless times already.

Pokemon Origins - While these episodes were ok, I think it also should have explored it more. Making it 10 episodes instead of 5. I feel like it was all rushed and they could have covered so much more. I would have loved to see the battle between Gold and Red.

Edit: After watching Poketoons. I freaking love it. It shot up to the top of my list at just below Mega Evolution. I freaking love the Nidoran and Slugma episodes. Especially the Slugma one because it shows everyday life with pokemon and other things you could have them help you with.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2021
    Just watched one episode of Poketoon and omg, I loved it
    I can't believe I wasn't giving it much attention

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I loved them all too, and think I've seen everything already mentioned in this thread, looking forward to the rest of Evolutions.

I wish Origins was more well received, I would've loved to see them do a sequel covering Johto in that style. An Origins 2: Johto kind of thing.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I'd love to see more Origins as well. But I think I'd much rather prefer a show follow the manga since it is so hard to read here in the United States and I assume anywhere outside of Japan. There is so much lore in those mangas that so much is missed and adds so much to every region.

With Origin... I just feel like it could have been longer, but I guess they wanted to reveal Mega Charizard X with a surprise and quickly. If not for Charizard, I think it would have gotten 8 episodes.

As for Evolutions, I am so glad they finally gave White/Hilda an Anime Appearance since everyone else from that region has gotten one. They also kept her Tepig which is even more awesome.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I'd love to see more Origins as well. But I think I'd much rather prefer a show follow the manga since it is so hard to read here in the United States and I assume anywhere outside of Japan. There is so much lore in those mangas that so much is missed and adds so much to every region.

With Origin... I just feel like it could have been longer, but I guess they wanted to reveal Mega Charizard X with a surprise and quickly. If not for Charizard, I think it would have gotten 8 episodes.

I agree that Origins got rushed towards the end with Charizard but maybe as I'm someone who's just as if not more nostalgic for Gen 2 I really wanted to see an "Origins" style take on it following it, I felt like the possibilities of this sequel were harmed by the lukewarm reception but I guess we'll never know if something like that was ever actually on the table.

Ofc I'd also love an anime adaptation of the manga/adventure series but it feels like fans have been asking for something like that for an eternity haha.

Back