• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"There's too many Pokemon!"

Years
    • He/Him
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    See, I'm conflicted with this question. I do feel that with the way that GameFreak creates/presents the current games, we have too many for them to all be in one map/game. BUT, if GameFreak in the future begins to expand outside of the stereotypical game, and create more open-world, challenging concepts, I think the number could be infinite. Implementing the idea of seasonal Pokemon like Animal Crossing does with their animals, getting away from the extremely easy "hold your hand" concept and adding challenge that both kids and adults can enjoy, creating maps that are much more extensive so that you can access specific Pokemon only in very specific places (and making them actually rare).

I think GameFreak recognizes that they could make a MONSTER of a game, but for whatever reason, they choose not to (though, Pokemon Legends may be correcting that). Back to the topic at hand, I don't think there will ever be "too many" mons, as long as the games are capable of keeping the player entertained with the number and not just doing the same thing over and over again.

Years
  • I think there is too many they should of started doing regional forms and mega evolutions earlier that way that can focus more on the ones they had and add a few better quality new pokemon each gen

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • It's definitely not sustainable. I remember back when the Johto games dropped how stunned I was to see all new Pokes beyond the original 150. Since then, as I've watched it just grow and grow, I've wondered if they're just going to continue to add to this number because it's about to hit a point where I just can't remember them all anymore, and that honestly gives me stress because I've never been in a position where I didn't know all the Pokemon before, lol.
    To be honest, I reached that point during gen 4...

My concern is that if they keep adding around a hundred or so each gen then not only does it make it harder to remember them, it also makes it harder to complete your Pokédex - not to mention that it lessens the chances of Gamefreak including the national dex.

I'd be happy if they just stuck to new variations of existing Pokémon i.e. mega evolutions and region specific appearances like Alola and Galar Pokémon.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Yeah, but they would definitely need to move away from the whole "Gotta catch 'em all" mindset and encouraging completion of the dex as those tasks become more and more difficult.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2021
    I don't to repeat myself and keep using the same mons over and over again, I like to explore different Pokémon on each playthrough, so I allways welcome having more options to build my team.

Years
  • Yeah, but they would definitely need to move away from the whole "Gotta catch 'em all" mindset and encouraging completion of the dex as those tasks become more and more difficult.

I can see this point, though that slogan really only exists in the localized version of the series and not the original Japanese. Still, I assume as more and more Pokémon are created, main series games will have only certain chunks of them catchable and continue recommending HOME as an option to keep others in. That way it's less work for them, and the 'gotta catch 'em all' slogan would still be doable enough, I suppose?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Yeah, but they would definitely need to move away from the whole "Gotta catch 'em all" mindset and encouraging completion of the dex as those tasks become more and more difficult.

Gotta catch 'em all hasn't been the slogan since Pokemon Crystal, though. But, I agree.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Gotta catch 'em all hasn't been the slogan since Pokemon Crystal, though. But, I agree.

Right. They don't use the slogan anymore but the mentality is still there. The Rotom Dex in SwSh really pushes you to capture. "Keep going! There are still Pokemon that you haven't captured yet! Let's look for more Pokemon to catch!" That kind of thing. They'd need to eventually knock it off because it will hit a point where a lot of us are like, no, that's just too darn many to try to collect, I'm just gonna catch what I catch and that'll be that, thank you very much.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    I think Gen 6 was the peak, after that, the plan should be to focus on story mode and a nice post game. Also, adding a few mons each Gen and trying to extend them for more time with events and other stuff

Years
  • Yes totally agree to this thread! and the team seems to be running out of ideas for the pokemon design. Pokemon in Sword and Shield seems to be like "alas! as long as there's a shape, and it look like something, we can use it as a pokemon" Just look at 'Greedent', 'Milcery', and 'Hatenna'. Just to name a few.

Years
  • Omg yes, if they just redesign the currently available pokemons with new variations, that would be cool already. Or even give them a new form or evolution. Dynamax is like also a little off...how can the pokemon still hear your command when they are so high up and isn't the moves too destructive? to the surround environment/buildings, etc and also the trainer if the move itself it so huge.

Years
  • To be honest, I reached that point during gen 4...

My concern is that if they keep adding around a hundred or so each gen then not only does it make it harder to remember them, it also makes it harder to complete your Pokédex - not to mention that it lessens the chances of Gamefreak including the national dex.

I'd be happy if they just stuck to new variations of existing Pokémon i.e. mega evolutions and region specific appearances like Alola and Galar Pokémon.

Yeah, I just imagine it's going to get harder over the years each time they have to come up with ~100 new designs when they're already having to come up with unique gameplay features to set their Gen apart from everything before it. There were Megas, then Z-Moves, now they turn into Macy's parade balloons. What will the next gimmicks be, and can they keep adding around a hundred new mon each time without the ideas getting crappier?

and seems like they are just being hushed by their bosses to quickly get some ideas and push it out to the new version. perhaps they release versions far too quickly and coming out w new creative ideas really takes time (I know it as I do designing too but not pokemon), sometimes when your bosses pushes you, you just make do with a certain design and let them QC and most probably if they need to launch that project / game, they will make do with the "best" design and push it forward too.

Back