• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

convince me to switch to the iphone

Years
how set in your ways are you regarding whether you use an iphone or an android phone? would you be willing to switch to the other platform to try it out, why or why not?

Honest

Hi!
Years
Well, the biggest thing I'd ask is are you willing to join the Apple ecosystem? Because, to me, the full power of the iPhone doesn't get unlocked until you've also purchased other Apple products to supplement it (think iPad, AirPods, hell even the AppleCard). If the answer is no, or you're not sure, I don't know if I'd bother switching at all. iPhones don't provide any tangible benefit outside of the ecosystem that Android can't already do. If I were in your shoes, the only thing that would realistically make me consider switching, even if I wasn't in the ecosystem, is the fact that my friends all are, and that iMessage is a thing. Being able to communicate w/ everyone on the same platform is really handy, and it's just easier to have 1 person switch to Apple (cost not being considered), versus having 20 people switch what platform they communicate on.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
if you already have a working android i wouldnt throw it away unless you want to be in the Ecosystem etc. if you do need a new phone… iphones are pretty great. i honestly think that the UX is just way better across the board, everything feels great and intuitive immediately and at the time of getting this phone (iphone 11) i hadnt used an apple product in a decade. on android (motorola g5 then oneplus 3) i was way into the customization aspects to the point of it being ridiculous, i had not just icon packs and custom launchers but tasker scripts and self-made widgets and it just got ridiculous, laggy, and took up a ton of my time for a facade of a good experience. it's completely subjective but i never got android to feel as simple or intuitive as i wanted it to be. it's nice to just have something that does UX pretty close to perfect by default.

i've since obtained a secondhand macbook and new airpods and yeah the ecosystem is as simple and great as everyone said. nothing really unique to say about them. i wouldn't buy any of those products just for the sake of connectivity between them but if you like them already it's a nice bonus. unless you're one of those weird people who like iphones but hate macs which apparently people do? i dont get that.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I really don't want to try an iPhone. I like being able to easily download Japanese games without having to make an entire ass Japanese itunes account. So, this is why I prefer Android. Not as tight security, and not as closed off. Nothing will ever convince to switch to ios or apple computers. I'm a person who likes to stick with something, and switching is really difficult for me.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I refuse to switch to ios, without voiding and jailbreaking its impossible to install App outside app store also iphone have those payment failed issues when opening or downloading app (even the app itself is free) the phone demands you update your payment info.. I mean what gives

Years
i will say one thing i like about google/android is that they offer compatibility with apple products. i can use my wear os watch with the iphone and even my pixel buds if i wanted to. yet apple is staunch on being proprietary

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I only really became stubborn about not getting an iphone because people kept trying endlessly to convince me, lol.

But really, there's benefits and drawbacks to google and android, and I honestly don't have a personal preference between the two. If the longevity, features, and price are all good, I'd adapt to either platform. /shrug!

I would never trust Google with something as important as my operating system. Apple's business model is increasingly built on privacy, Google's business model is track everything you do to sell advertisements. That alone is enough reason to use an iPhone over an Android phone.

I also am of the opinion that Apple hardware and software is aesthetically superior and Google has no design taste (and Samsung etc.), but that's a lot more subjective.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I'd only try one if they'd start using usb c. Having to use a dedicated cable to charge my phone is a pain, plus Apple seems to be phasing it out on most of their products like the iPad. There are rumours they'll finally make the switch next year possibly due to those new EU regulations.

Generally I've stuck with android (I've had a sony xperia for the past year, really like it) and I don't think that'll ever change at this point.

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
Years
I don't dislike iPhones, but I personally think Androids are better. Even with Apple eventually switching to USB-C after all these years, I just think you can do more with an Android.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
With my job and now having used both being part of the Apple Masters program at work, I still have a preference for Android, however, my requirements for an Android phone are exceptionally high. iPhones are a fairly closed off system that doesn't give me a lot of flexibility in how I'm allowed to use my device and in order to enjoy all the benefits of the ecosystem, you have to invest a significant amount of money. The fact that they're also difficult to upgrade/repair is a huge turnoff for me, since I try to make my products last as long as possible. I'm having a hard enough time trying to fix up an old MacBook Pro Retina from 2013 because it needed a new battery and having to disassemble half the device just to get the one component out that wears down is not a good consumer move. Google has people within the company that are pro-right to repair, and this is evident in the Pixel 6 (And presumably the 7 as well) where you can have access to tools that pair some hardware to your phone if you ever need to do a repair, and all the parts are easily available to fix your own phone, not to mention they're OEM parts and not third party. Apple has their own repair program, but it's honestly not worth it for how many hoops you have to jump through.

The other issue I have with Apple is how they take their sweet time with things. I understand that it's that way because they want to "perfect" things, but it's like... Several years. Androids have had always-on displays in phones for at least the better part of a decade, and Apple only just introduced it on their phones this year (And their watches have had it since the Series 5 in 2019, but my Moto 360 from 4 years prior already had it). Wireless charging was around for ages before Apple added it to the iPhone 8 and X (Anyone remember AirPower?), widgets have been in Android since its inception, and they only showed up in iOS a couple years ago. I feel Android phones are a little more cutting edge when it comes to features and functions that Apple seems to take a long time with.

That all said, the Apple ecosystem, should you choose to go into it, is honestly quite seamless. Turn on iCloud sync, and you can copy/paste from one device to another, playing videos and music on your Apple TV is as easy as two button presses, no need to pair devices constantly and whatnot as it all syncs using WiFi and your Apple ID so AirPlay is seamless, your AirPods sync to all your Apple devices and you can switch between devices with a couple taps, and you can text using anything logged into your Apple ID as long as messages is allowed to use iCloud. Start a conversation on your MacBook, take it to the iPad in the backyard, then move over to your phone as you head out and use Siri to dictate messages while you're running or biking or driving via CarPlay. That's an experience you simply cannot get on Android. Samsung is trying to do it but they've got a long way to go to catch up.

If a customer comes up to me and asks which to go with, I usually say to stick with what's familiar to you and what works best for you. Both have pros and cons, it's more what you do daily and what you currently use and what you like/dislike about those things, or if there's a specific need for those products that you may not otherwise get.

Back