• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real time or Turn based?

TY

There are games that play in real time, you move and so does everyone else and so on.

But there are also games where it's turn based, one player takes a turn, then the other takes their turn and so on. Like games as Hearthstone, Civilization and more

Usually used to define strategy genres, which one of the two do you prefer? Or do you just like both in their own way?

pkmin3033

Really, it depends on the gameplay mechanics that are supporting them. I think real-time combat offers far more variety and flexibility, which can make it both substantially better (Xenoblade Chronicles) and significantly worse (Tales of Zestiria) than turn-based titles. Consistency might be a better choice, but the problem with that is that everything feels the same - if you've played one turn-based game, you really have played them all. There isn't a huge amount of variety to these games.

...and herein lies the issue. There is so much that can go wrong with real-time combat. Pacing can make it ridiculously easy or impossibly (and often unfairly) difficult. Bad camere angles will absolutely wreck things, too. Turn-based combat doesn't really have these issues - you move, someone else moves, and even if it's still difficult, there is an element of methodical strategy which makes the difficulty far more balanced...most of the time. But I love the way real-time games can shake things up, and rely more on player skill rather than the RNG that plagues turn-based titles. Dodge an attack by timing it just right, or by praying the relevant stat is high enough? It's so much more satisfying to do things yourself and not wait for enemies to take a turn.

Turn-based titles generally age better because it's such a basic system, but because it's so basic it's very easy to surpass it...or it should be. I would usually go with a game with a real-time combat system, simply because it's more engaging. That said, I absolutely love DRPGs and SRPGs. I think turn-based titles are best supported by a grid-based map for additional strategy, and with the exception of very few games I would rather play Disgaea than a game with real-time combat, because it's the pinnacle of strategic gameplay.

Comparing the two is rather difficult, because they're totally different experiences, and I'd play them for different reasons. Most of the time I'd play a real-time game if I wanted a bit more of a challenge...unless I wanted to blow off steam, in which case I'd play a Warriors title. Turn-based titles I generally play to relax...unless it's something overly complex like Disgaea.

Really, the two are just frameworks, and whilst both have their strengths and weaknesses, I don't think either one is inherently better than the other...developers are just doing more original and exciting things with real-time combat these days. It offers more room for flexibility when you can move around and aren't constantly waiting for your foe to take a turn...and because of that, so much more can go wrong with it.

Last edited:

Neronaya

STAR GATE HEAVEN
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
I love love love turn-based games (final fantasy, smt and pokemon games were the first games I played so I got really into the style)
I keep trying to broaden my horizons and play more real time games but sometimes I can find it stressful. I like the strategy that comes with being able to plan turns in turn based gaming.

Years
I generally prefer the flowing gameplay that comes with real-time combat but turn-based is pretty fun as well, seeing as Pokemon were the first games I properly got into.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I prefer turn-based combat. It seems to be less common than it used to be (with a few exceptions), which I find unfortunate, though a good real-time game can be fine too.

I like how turn-based games give me time to think about strategy. My reflexes aren't great, so I've never been great at games that involve quick reactions, but I like thinking through what I'm going to do next. I also find turn-based strategy games relaxing to play before bed or while watching TV, as I don't have to pay a ton of attention to them. If I drift off to sleep, nothing bad happens, either, which is appealing.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I think if I had to pick, I'd go with turn based as I get distracted a lot and like how I don't really need to pay attention that much lol
both are fun though

Back