• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Sorry, I'm really new at this...what I'm doing is the icon for Fairy

So, I just replace the palette original pointer? (BC5DE908)
with...
BC 5D 9E 08?

...No..Did you change the palette? No? Then you don't do anything.
If you DID change the palette, then take the address to your new palette, make it a pointer and replace BC5DE908 with it.
I don't know what the address to your pointer is.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
...No..Did you change the palette? No? Then you don't do anything.
If you DID change the palette, then take the address to your new palette, make it a pointer and replace BC5DE908 with it.
I don't know what the address to your pointer is.

Yeah, I already changed it, but Idk how to find it again cuz I missed it, didn't read far ahead enough on the tutorial to know to find it. :/

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
Ahh, guess even I screwed up a bit here. This tutorial is confusing, but if you feel up for it, you can try again later.

Regardless I think your tutorial was fine. Other than that problem with the offsets I was able to do everything just as you said. However it caused my game to crash after I tried copy pasting the parts to new areas. (if you were wondering this was on a fresh rom) I followed it as word for word as possible and used the same offsets as you, as well as the same image etc so I could fully make sure it worked. Despite having different hex editors I downloaded the one you used to ensure keyboard shortcuts etc were all the same as well.

Just a bit frustrating I guess. I was expecting this to be a bit more smooth.

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
when I repointed the Type Chart in 0x1E944, Nothing happened... and when I tried to repoint it in some other offsets, the blue thingy when pressing START is messed, and the Animation before a Trainer battle is also messed.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
when I repointed the Type Chart in 0x1E944, Nothing happened... and when I tried to repoint it in some other offsets, the blue thingy when pressing START is messed, and the Animation before a Trainer battle is also messed.

There's more pointers to replace than just 0x1E944. You have to replace all of them or else it'll mess up. Just keep using Ctrl+F until you've found them all. Of you did that did you replace them with the right pointer to your new chart location? Remember, pointer to 0xABCDEF is EFCDAB08

Zenas

King of the Distortion World
Years
When I tried this it didn't work could someone send me to a fairy ips patch, this seems to complicated.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
When I tried this it didn't work could someone send me to a fairy ips patch, this seems to complicated.

If you tried it and it didn't work, you did something wrong. Try it again is my suggestion.

mkarthick98

Tensai
Years
So, when you mean it needs to be repointed in Part 1, what do you mean?

Do you mean that the icon position table needs to copied and moved to a new place in memory, and then expanded?

I'm really sorry if this is annoying, but can you explain this in detail? Maybe edit the tut a little?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
So, when you mean it needs to be repointed in Part 1, what do you mean?

Do you mean that the icon position table needs to copied and moved to a new place in memory, and then expanded?

I'm really sorry if this is annoying, but can you explain this in detail? Maybe edit the tut a little?

That is exactly what I'm saying. You need to add positions to the table for extra types.

PSYqualiac

King of Eatos!
Years
I really hate to be a bother, but could you make a tool that does this? I'm trying to do this myself... but it's not working due to my lack of Hex-perience. I'm trying to follow the tutorial, and while it seems like it should be simple enough... I just don't understand.

I want to input 4 types: Fairy, Shadow (from XD: Gale of Darkness), Light, and Chaos.
I'm just not experienced enough to do this...

Another thing would be if somebody could just make the Types for me, that would be helpful too.

But honestly, a tool for this would be really helpful for people.

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2015
I have'nt read the whole thread of comments yet... (just the Tutorial, which is pretty helpful, thanks!), but I was wondering... in the type effectiveness, if you want to do a Type that is 4x weak to another type... then you must have the bytes arranged like this: 0A 0F 28 (Fire is strong to Fire by 4), right?
I tested this in curiosity to find that, well... I certainly think Fire now does 4x to Ice, but, there is no message that says "It's supper effective!" and no sound is played neither, I was wondering if there is a way to apply a custom message and sound to 4x weakness , thanks for your help in advance, this is for certain project i'm working on.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I have'nt read the whole thread of comments yet... (just the Tutorial, which is pretty helpful, thanks!), but I was wondering... in the type effectiveness, if you want to do a Type that is 4x weak to another type... then you must have the bytes arranged like this: 0A 0F 28 (Fire is strong to Fire by 4), right?
I tested this in curiosity to find that, well... I certainly think Fire now does 4x to Ice, but, there is no message that says "It's supper effective!" and no sound is played neither, I was wondering if there is a way to apply a custom message and sound to 4x weakness , thanks for your help in advance, this is for certain project i'm working on.

There's a thread here about battle messages. Though, for something like this, ASM is required. You'd most likely have to search for the routine that prints the message for 2x damage, then branch off to another routine for 4x damage and print the new message and sound. Other than that, its best to stick to 0x, 0.5x, 1x and 2x damage.

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2015
There's a thread here about battle messages. Though, for something like this, ASM is required. You'd most likely have to search for the routine that prints the message for 2x damage, then branch off to another routine for 4x damage and print the new message and sound. Other than that, its best to stick to 0x, 0.5x, 1x and 2x damage.

Oh, I see... I cant find the thread anyways, could you link me to it?
Guess it's time to learn about ASM (yep, 4x damage is important to my project as for now) thanks c:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Just commenting that I have finally updated the tutorial. It should finally be as clear as possible and up to date with current information.

Back