• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Organization, Protection, and Storage

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
Hey guys, I figured we could exchange ideas and methods of organizing, storing, and protecting our cards.

Here is my current setup:

Every single card I get is recorded via the Pokecardex app. I place them all in sleeves (aside from basic energies) then separate them by sets. I keep my full-arts and GX/EX cards separate.

Eventually I would like to have them all in order by number, within their sets.

Obviously, by decks are stored separately in deck boxes.

What do you guys do?

Years
Hey guys, I figured we could exchange ideas and methods of organizing, storing, and protecting our cards.

Here is my current setup:

Every single card I get is recorded via the Pokecardex app. I place them all in sleeves (aside from basic energies) then separate them by sets. I keep my full-arts and GX/EX cards separate.

Eventually I would like to have them all in order by number, within their sets.

Obviously, by decks are stored separately in deck boxes.

What do you guys do?

That's actually quite organized.

As for me:

I don't currently track what cards I do and don't have.

My collection and organization for it is a completely disorganized mismash of organization projects I started into (such as having full sets and alternate runs of sets sorted in release order in a series of binders that I had "completed" during one of the later Black & White sets) but never completed as well as boxes where there's no sorting at all stacked on top of that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
That's actually quite organized.

As for me:

I don't currently track what cards I do and don't have.

My collection and organization for it is a completely disorganized mismash of organization projects I started into (such as having full sets and alternate runs of sets sorted in release order in a series of binders that I had "completed" during one of the later Black & White sets) but never completed as well as boxes where there's no sorting at all stacked on top of that.

Yeah, when I used to collect I never organized and it made it a little more difficult to trade because I wasn't sure what I had. I'm also hoping to complete a few collections as best as possible and the app I used tracks stats on what percentage of the collection has been obtained. I'm at like 68 percent with Guardians Rising and 55 percent with Steam Siege. If I could have just a few complete sets I would be very happy.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
When I collect a set I put all ultra rares I get from it into toploaders. I have about 15 stacks of about 60 ultra rares per stack.

I have 5 Pro Platinum cloth binders with zippers.

Blue (Plasma Freeze, Boundaries Crossed, Plasma Blast, Plasma Storm)
Red (XY, Firious Fists, Flashfire, Phantom Forces)
Gray (Dragons Exalted, Primal Clash, Ancient Origins and Next Destinies, Japanese holos from BW8, XY2, XY4, XY5)
Green (Breakpoint, Fates Collide, Steam Siege, holos from XY9, Generations including exs, Promos)
Purple (Evolutions, Shining Legends)

When I put a set in the binder I put each non ex card in the sleeve then the reverse in front for non holos backwards for holos. I only do 9 different cards per page so you see the backs of the cards.

For whatever reason the binders are really easy to move I can grab it by the corner and lift it easily. Some open binders are impossible to lift with 2 fingers. Also the cards can?t fly out and if you step on it cards aren?t destroyed by the rings as there?s hard padding on both sides so the pages stay in one spot even when the binder is going in all directions. I got different colors so I know which has which sets.

In terms of knowing what i have I usually write the name of each card I have in a binder as I get them. Then I write Rev if i have the reverse. This tells me if I have the reverse but not the regular. For example I have every card from Evolutions except the reverse Venusaur Spirit Link.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
When I collect a set I put all ultra rares I get from it into toploaders. I have about 15 stacks of about 60 ultra rares per stack.

I have 5 Pro Platinum cloth binders with zippers.

Blue (Plasma Freeze, Boundaries Crossed, Plasma Blast, Plasma Storm)
Red (XY, Firious Fists, Flashfire, Phantom Forces)
Gray (Dragons Exalted, Primal Clash, Ancient Origins and Next Destinies, Japanese holos from BW8, XY2, XY4, XY5)
Green (Breakpoint, Fates Collide, Steam Siege, holos from XY9, Generations including exs, Promos)
Purple (Evolutions, Shining Legends)

When I put a set in the binder I put each non ex card in the sleeve then the reverse in front for non holos backwards for holos. I only do 9 different cards per page so you see the backs of the cards.

For whatever reason the binders are really easy to move I can grab it by the corner and lift it easily. Some open binders are impossible to lift with 2 fingers. Also the cards can?t fly out and if you step on it cards aren?t destroyed by the rings as there?s hard padding on both sides so the pages stay in one spot even when the binder is going in all directions. I got different colors so I know which has which sets.

In terms of knowing what i have I usually write the name of each card I have in a binder as I get them. Then I write Rev if i have the reverse. This tells me if I have the reverse but not the regular. For example I have every card from Evolutions except the reverse Venusaur Spirit Link.

That's a ton of Ultra Rares! Do you order them as singles, or have you pulled them all?

Also, a very good organization technique. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's serious about keeping my cards in order {XD}

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I've purchased 22 ultra rares.

Spoiler:

I usually will only buy ultra rares if I really want them and/or there are only a few cards from the set I need. I like to pull most of the ultras from a set rather then buy them. I've also bought holos and reverses from sets I needed. However because of the quality and number of ultras and secrets in Sun and Moon I'm not collecting the sets, just a couple of artworks. I do open packs still and have pulled 5 of the full art gold trainers and 1 gold energy from Sun and Moon on.

From the sets I collected I probably opened around 700 packs from each set and I have pulled probably close to 120+ secret rares. Including 3 of the M Charizard X's from Flashfire, 2 of of the Ultra Ball's from Plasma Freeze, 1 of the Ulra Balls from Sun and Moon and the shiny Charizard from Plasma Storm.

The M Charizard secrets were all kind of crazy,I didn't start collecting Flashfire until after Furious Fists was released. I first pulled the M Charizard Y secret rare in a 3 pack Flashfire blister with a pack that contained a full art Toxicroak, the first X secret was in a Pyroar Box that also contained a full art Blastoise from XY, the second was in a Pyroar box that contained 2 holos in the other packs and the 3rd was from a Dollar Tree pack.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Decks are in deckboxes
Full art cards, EX/GX cards are in my trade/collect binder alongside some cards I just like and some more sought after commons as well.

Common trainer cards are all kept in a deckbox or binder, depending on what set they're from. Newer ones are in my new binders while very old ones are in a deckbox.
Rest of commons are just thrown in a storage box (elite trainer box mostly) or in a map for markets and such, they go away for like ?0.10/piece. Reverse foils also in a map, go for ?0.50 each and foils are put in a deckbox and put on cardmarket.

Energy cards are kept in a storage box (elite trainer box) and any other extra cards that I'd like to keep for whatever reason are in deckboxes.

Tbh Pok?mon tcg has turned more into collecting for me than actually playing because by the time I can complete a deck there are either way to overpowered things out there that trash it like crazy or it's pushed to expanded. Rotation system only works for people who wants to/can waste a ton of money often and compete with every tournament they can ... it's not for casuals that are just playing it for fun >.>

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I have a small 4card per page binder where I store my most favorite cards in, other than the, my older cards (pre gen 7) are sorted by type, with rares and delta species stored separately. My gen 7 cards are sorted per type and per set.

I only sleeve the cards I'm putting in decks... else I'd be spending a small fortune on cards now XD

Years
Yeah, when I used to collect I never organized and it made it a little more difficult to trade because I wasn't sure what I had. I'm also hoping to complete a few collections as best as possible and the app I used tracks stats on what percentage of the collection has been obtained. I'm at like 68 percent with Guardians Rising and 55 percent with Steam Siege. If I could have just a few complete sets I would be very happy.

I just have way too many cards at this point to ever get a decent shot at organizing them neatly.

What platforms is the app you use on?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
Decks are in deckboxes
Full art cards, EX/GX cards are in my trade/collect binder alongside some cards I just like and some more sought after commons as well.

Common trainer cards are all kept in a deckbox or binder, depending on what set they're from. Newer ones are in my new binders while very old ones are in a deckbox.
Rest of commons are just thrown in a storage box (elite trainer box mostly) or in a map for markets and such, they go away for like ?0.10/piece. Reverse foils also in a map, go for ?0.50 each and foils are put in a deckbox and put on cardmarket.

Energy cards are kept in a storage box (elite trainer box) and any other extra cards that I'd like to keep for whatever reason are in deckboxes.

Tbh Pok?mon tcg has turned more into collecting for me than actually playing because by the time I can complete a deck there are either way to overpowered things out there that trash it like crazy or it's pushed to expanded. Rotation system only works for people who wants to/can waste a ton of money often and compete with every tournament they can ... it's not for casuals that are just playing it for fun >.>

I feel you about the overpowered deck issue! I don't think there is any way I could compete in real tournaments or anything like that without getting my butt kicked. I may still try one day though.

As for now I mostly play against friends and family in casual games, so I still have a blast.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I feel you about the overpowered deck issue! I don't think there is any way I could compete in real tournaments or anything like that without getting my butt kicked. I may still try one day though.

As for now I mostly play against friends and family in casual games, so I still have a blast.

I used to go to a gamestore to play but quite some of the people there do play tournaments as well and they're just there to practice and test things.
So nowadays I just play against my 2 little brothers or online, not that much online tho because there as well, it's really hard to get your cards. They should've made it so that you had all cards to choose from >.>

I'm not a competitive person either way, as long as things are fair it's all fine to me, so I doubt I'll ever try to compete in tournaments for pokémon. Because as I said it's to hard to finish a deck unless you waste a ton of money just to do the same thing once again the next time theirs a tournament ... at least if you want to stay relevant >.>

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
I used to go to a gamestore to play but quite some of the people there do play tournaments as well and they're just there to practice and test things.
So nowadays I just play against my 2 little brothers or online, not that much online tho because there as well, it's really hard to get your cards. They should've made it so that you had all cards to choose from >.>

I'm not a competitive person either way, as long as things are fair it's all fine to me, so I doubt I'll ever try to compete in tournaments for pokémon. Because as I said it's to hard to finish a deck unless you waste a ton of money just to do the same thing once again the next time theirs a tournament ... at least if you want to stay relevant >.>

Yep. Exactly.

I would like to increase my circle of casual Pokemon players, so there are more people to play against. But it's difficult to find and meet people in my area who play.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Yep. Exactly.

I would like to increase my circle of casual Pokemon players, so there are more people to play against. But it's difficult to find and meet people in my area who play.

I think the better question is ... how do you meet people like that?
In a gamestore some people are just in it for the competitive side and this affects every player who goes there, eventually turning those into competitive players even if it's just to 'be able to play' or turning them away from the game in total. Which I've seen happen often and not just with pokemon either.

I'm seen by many as a competitive player when first played against but I'm a casual player who likes to improve and play the best with something I like, not something that's just good to begin with.

--- Currently rocking a Lurantis/Aether build. Runs Lurantis as main but with supporters I like (aesthetically more than actual effect), such as Lillie, Lusamine, Gladion ... and Mallow XD

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
That's a great question! And one that I can't answer lol.

If you figure it out, let me know!

You know those people who stand on corners and wave around boards? (probably an american thing but still) ....
You can try that?! XD

Since we're getting a bit off topic...

Back on topic:

I recently bought 2x 3ring card album maps which I'll make a carddex in. I've been helping out my brothers with theirs and kind of felt like it would be fun to make one with cards of which art I like and preferably "full art" cards (cards like the GX ones, normal, least rare ones, those that actually look good, that take in a lot of the card with art). I also found some old plastic sheets for FLIPPO'S which I'm now using to display my coins in, also going in one of the maps.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
You know those people who stand on corners and wave around boards? (probably an american thing but still) ....
You can try that?! XD

Since we're getting a bit off topic...

Back on topic:

I recently bought 2x 3ring card album maps which I'll make a carddex in. I've been helping out my brothers with theirs and kind of felt like it would be fun to make one with cards of which art I like and preferably "full art" cards (cards like the GX ones, normal, least rare ones, those that actually look good, that take in a lot of the card with art). I also found some old plastic sheets for FLIPPO'S which I'm now using to display my coins in, also going in one of the maps.

Ha!

Funny you mention that...back in the day worked at a Pizza joint and had to wave one of those signs around.

Back