• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New player's first non-theme deck

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
  • So I decided to start playing the card game earlier this week on a lark. Technically I played a few times when I was 7 or 8 but I only ever had a starter deck (Psychic/ElectricLightning, featured Pikachu and Mewtwo. According to Bulbapedia it was called "Zap!"). I read a few articles on how to make a less-n00b deck, and here's my first attempt!

I used "Mewtwo Mayhem" as a basis and swapped in cards from "Ring of Lightning." Aside from those two theme decks the only cards I have are from two Evolutions booster packs, and I put in all my Trainer cards.

Pokemon:
    2x Gastly
    2x Haunter
    3x Nidoran
    2x Nidorino
    1x Nidoking
    2x Aipom
    2x Ambipom
    2x Mewtwo
    2x Hoopa

Supporters:
    1x Shauna
    3x Professor Oak's Hint
    2x Brock's Grit
    4x Tierno
    1x Pokemon Fan Club
    2x Ninja Boy

Items:
    1x Poke Ball
    1x Great Ball
    1x Ultra Ball
    1x Evosoda
    4x Professor's Letter
    3x Energy Retrieval
    2x Potion
    2x Switch

Energy:
    14x Psychic

Needs work, obviously (Don't have a Gengar, couldn't figure out what to put in to replace the Nido pyramid...), and I could use some help in figuring out what the most urgent problem to address is.

For what it's worth, I assembled a copy of this deck in TCG Online and won an upset match today! :) Mewtwo's Psychic is a low-energy way of punishing EXes who have high-energy attacks, I find.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    So I decided to start playing the card game earlier this week on a lark. Technically I played a few times when I was 7 or 8 but I only ever had a starter deck (Psychic/ElectricLightning, featured Pikachu and Mewtwo. According to Bulbapedia it was called "Zap!"). I read a few articles on how to make a less-n00b deck, and here's my first attempt!

I used "Mewtwo Mayhem" as a basis and swapped in cards from "Ring of Lightning." Aside from those two theme decks the only cards I have are from two Evolutions booster packs, and I put in all my Trainer cards.

Pokemon:
    2x Gastly
    2x Haunter
    3x Nidoran
    2x Nidorino
    1x Nidoking
    2x Aipom
    2x Ambipom
    2x Mewtwo
    2x Hoopa

Supporters:
    1x Shauna
    3x Professor Oak's Hint
    2x Brock's Grit
    4x Tierno
    1x Pokemon Fan Club
    2x Ninja Boy

Items:
    1x Poke Ball
    1x Great Ball
    1x Ultra Ball
    1x Evosoda
    4x Professor's Letter
    3x Energy Retrieval
    2x Potion
    2x Switch

Energy:
    14x Psychic

Needs work, obviously (Don't have a Gengar, couldn't figure out what to put in to replace the Nido pyramid...), and I could use some help in figuring out what the most urgent problem to address is.

For what it's worth, I assembled a copy of this deck in TCG Online and won an upset match today! :) Mewtwo's Psychic is a low-energy way of punishing EXes who have high-energy attacks, I find.

Really the biggest problem is tightening the decklist and speeding things up, but i appreciate you do not have many cards to work with.

RayquazaKeldeoBattleArenaDecks.jpg

Getting one of these is something I advise to all new players. It comes with:

2x VS Seeker
    4x Professor Sycamore
    2x N
    2x Rough Seas
    2x Dive Ball
    4x Ultra Ball
    2x Rare Candy
    1x Octillery
    2x level Ball
    2x Lysandre
    2X float stone
    2x Skyla

And many more. which would really open up what you can do with this deck.

As for Gengar, check this fella out
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=380809

He's cheap, easy to find and works well alongside Hoopa. I'd drop the Nido line altogether and fill the slots with ultra and/or level balls. I'd also drop the psychic energy to 8 and add four double colourless (speeds Mewtwo up considerably). Max potions are quite cheap so you could run those too.

If you're looking to splash a bit more cash then Fighting Fury Belts will keep Mewtwo in the fight a lot longer, Regice from Ancient origins also stops EXs from attacking (Is also like a $1 card, and comes in the Keldeo box) so you could always run the deck as 4 water energy - 4 psychic - 4 DCE which would allow you some variety and a bit more coverage.

Back