• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Capitalization convention

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
  • Hey everyone, in the older games much more predominantly, certain KEY WORDS were often CAPITALIZED. Do you prefer to follow that convention, or do you just write your dialog without worrying about emphasizing game terms?

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I prefer text that reads more naturally, so I'd normally avoid allcaps keywords in favor of standard sentence case. That said, though, the allcaps does have a certain old-school charm to it, so if I were ever to work on an older-gen project I'd probably go with the allcaps for that retro touch. (Really, given the fonts used, the capital letters usually just plain look nicer in the interface imo.) Anything Gen III and newer just looks more aesthetically pleasing to me with normal case.

Of course, when I'm just writing normally (or in fanfiction) I actually treat things like pokémon and item names as common nouns, just like equivalent English words, rather than as trademarked proper nouns—pikachu, aerial ace, oran berry, just like mouse, triple axle, pineapple—so if I were working on something that wasn't supposed to look... "official", for lack of a better term, I might well just stick with that, at least in dialogue and such. (I figure species names in the interface would be more like proper nouns at that point, since you're actually referring to that pikachu as "Pikachu" and all.)

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Older = before DPP

I prefer only the pokémon names captalized, but generally choose the quicker way (engine/kit default), since it's a small detail and I always have ton of more important things to improve.

Back