• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Snorlax GX deck options/strategies

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2017
    Hi all. My son (9) is creating his first deck to play in local tournaments.
    He would like to use Snorlax-GX and at least one Tauros-GX.

This is a learning curve for him and for me as well! So any advice would be gratefully received.
    At this stage I'm happy for him to learn from choosing his own pokemon and seeing how things go, so not really looking for advice on alternatives to Snorlax-GX, but more what we can do to support the card.

As Snorlax-GX needs a lot of energy for its bigger attacks we would like to understand the general options/strategies to support this deck (would use Hypno, for starters), so:

Could Snorlax-GX be used as the main attacker.
    Should the strategy be to use supporting Pokemon dealing more damage when asleep, e.g. Darkrai-EX (Dark Head). Maybe a version of Turbo Darkrai?
    Can/should Tauros-GX be used as an early attacker.
    Should the strategy be to early attack with other Pokemon and use Snorlax-GX later, or use energy acceleration to load Snorlax-GX up. Is it possible to do both?
    Not tied to energy type, so could use Yveltal(O.Wing) or Xerneas(Geomancy).
    What is an reasonable amount of damage to deal for an early attack.

My son likes the idea of the Magnezone evolve but would that be too many Pokemon to have, with having the Hypno evolves as well.

Thanks very much in advance.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Hi all. My son (9) is creating his first deck to play in local tournaments.
    He would like to use Snorlax-GX and at least one Tauros-GX.

This is a learning curve for him and for me as well! So any advice would be gratefully received.
    At this stage I'm happy for him to learn from choosing his own pokemon and seeing how things go, so not really looking for advice on alternatives to Snorlax-GX, but more what we can do to support the card.

As Snorlax-GX needs a lot of energy for its bigger attacks we would like to understand the general options/strategies to support this deck (would use Hypno, for starters), so:

Could Snorlax-GX be used as the main attacker.
    Should the strategy be to use supporting Pokemon dealing more damage when asleep, e.g. Darkrai-EX (Dark Head). Maybe a version of Turbo Darkrai?
    Can/should Tauros-GX be used as an early attacker.
    Should the strategy be to early attack with other Pokemon and use Snorlax-GX later, or use energy acceleration to load Snorlax-GX up. Is it possible to do both?
    Not tied to energy type, so could use Yveltal(O.Wing) or Xerneas(Geomancy).
    What is an reasonable amount of damage to deal for an early attack.

My son likes the idea of the Magnezone evolve but would that be too many Pokemon to have, with having the Hypno evolves as well.

Thanks very much in advance.

Well, problem A is the inherent issue with Snorlax GX: The thing takes a lot of energy. High-energy attacks (any more than 3) are all but nonexistant in the competitive field right now.

If we are basing the thing off of Snorlax, you are on the right track though. You will certainly be wanting that Hypno as you mentioned. Darkrai EX's Dark Head attack naturally pairs well with Hypno (consider the All-Night Party Stadium to escape from unwanted sleep on your turn), so he is a natural fit. Yveltal goes well in any Darkness deck, so throw him in there too. Komala, who comes out in the next set, basically acts as Snorlax Lite, only being able to attack when asleep, so throw one or two of them in there too. Right now you are looking like:

2 Snorlax GX
    3 Darkrai EX
    2 Komala
    2-2 Hypno
    2 Yveltal
    2 Tauros GX
    = 15 Pokémon

This would be perfect if you were attempting to leave room for a couple Shaymin EX and a Tapu Lele, butif this is a 9-year-old's first deck I assume you aren't going out and buying 3 $50+ cards to fill out the deck. You can choose to supplement existing lines (I generally don't advise running all 3s and 2s, but in this deck it seemed like the right number given everything except Hypno is a Basic), or add some additional support from Colorless or Dark type Pokémon. BreakPoint Zoroark is something to consider, as it could help the problem of all your Retreat costs being sky high. Other valid options are anything run in Turbodark, so the other Darkrai EX or even Yveltal EX.

As far as Trainers are concerned, you want a pretty standard group. 4 Sycamores, a couple N, maybe a VS Seeker or three, Ultra Balls, certainly a Float Stone or two, a bunch of Lysandre, one Hex Maniac because Vileplume exists, maybe even Next Balls in such a basic-heavy deck, etc. Hands wrote a guide somewhere that has a good list of trainer staples, it should be easy enough to find if you look around either the TCG section of the forums or search the PokéCommunity Daily for TCG. Only unusual things you may want to consider are Stadiums, specifically All-Night Party (allows Darkrai to wake up from Hypno's sleep so it can actually use its attack) and maybe even Altar of the Moone (another card from Guardians Rising, helps alleviate retreat costs).

Energy you are running basic Dark energy plus a quad of Double Colorless, if you don't have access to 4 DCEs you cannot run Snorlax.

My only other concern is that this deck uses a large quantity of complex strategies. You have Energy manipulation with Yveltal, knowing when to use Hypno's Ability, etc. If this is your son's first deck, make sure to play it with him a couple of times before he goes to an event, so he knows what cards should be played in what order.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    The best way to run Snorlax is with Regirock (XY49) which can't be hit by your opponent's trainer cards. That means you can rack up energy on a benched Regirock and then use the trainer card "Ninjaboy" to switch it with a Snorlax GX from the deck. Regirock, like Snorlax GX, is a promo, so it's often fairly cheap to buy on it's own on eBay

This video gives a pretty robust list (but you can change up a lot of it to suit your needs) and a guide on how to play the deck.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2017
    Guys, thanks for the replies so far.

Will look into the Regirock option.

We won't be looking at expensive cards yet. Darkrai-EX (we're in the UK) is the equivalent of $13. Shaymin is also out for the time being!
    So, initially looking at Yveltal-EX (as my son has 2).

Would Snorlax Fates Collide 77 be an option as well, once Hypno is up and running?
    Toss and Turn 30+ This attack can be used even if this Pokémon is Asleep. If it is, this attack does 90 more damage. For 3 colourless.

Thanks again.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Guys, thanks for the replies so far.

Will look into the Regirock option.

We won't be looking at expensive cards yet. Darkrai-EX (we're in the UK) is the equivalent of $13. Shaymin is also out for the time being!
    So, initially looking at Yveltal-EX (as my son has 2).

Would Snorlax Fates Collide 77 be an option as well, once Hypno is up and running?
    Toss and Turn 30+ This attack can be used even if this Pokémon is Asleep. If it is, this attack does 90 more damage. For 3 colourless.

Thanks again.

Nah, the fates Collide one is just a dead card, it wastes energy that should be dedicated to the big fella. Don't run Yveltal EX in there either, you end up with too many things going on that all need support.

Here's a really quick budget list I threw together for you

Pokemon: 12

3x Snorlax GX
    3x Xerneas (Steam Siege)
    2x Regirock (XY49)
    2x Drowzee
    2x Hypno

Items: 21

4x Nest Ball
    4x Puzzle of Time
    4x Fairy Drop
    4x Energy Switch
    2x Ultra Ball
    2x Max Potion
    1x Super Rod

Supporters: 12

3x Professor Sycamore
    2x N
    2x Skyla
    2x Ninjaboy
    2x Lysandre
    1x Delinquent

Stadiums: 4

4x Fairy Garden

Energy: 11

11x Fairy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pokemon-...756038?hash=item2a811c83c6:g:Bh8AAOSw-3FZBzNW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POKEMON-...801747?hash=item23683ecdd3:g:ZZoAAOSwubRXKVa7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regirock...920432?hash=item2831d7d5f0:g:owgAAOSwc49Y7QuS

As you'll see, most of the cards in the deck are very cheap, will give you great consistency and provide a playable and competitive strategy that won't be too taxing on a younger player.

Xerneas accelerate energy to the bench with geomancy, energy switch lets you move all that energy onto a benched regirock, ninjaboy lets you change Regirock into Snorlax GX and fairy graden gives you free retreat so you can move around the board. Fairy Drop and Max potion give you healing options and Puzzle of Time are there as a cheap alternative to the very pricey VS seekers

Back