• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Other Feedback: New Hack - How do I start

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2020
    Hello, I wanted to get some info on making a thread for a hack that I created. I made a hack called Pokemon Sun Red that adds Alolan Pokemon to Fire Red among other changes. I have all the necessary documentation (description text, changelog, screens and other gameplay related docs) and I just wanted to know the best way to upload the patch in a new thread. Forums can be pretty unforgiving in my experience and I wanted to know where would e the best place to post this and any other rules. Let me know. Thanks.

Years
  • Hi there! Welcome back to PC!

In our ROM Hacking area, we have three sections one can post a project in, but each section has its own rules thread.
    ROM Hack Studio - Rule Thread for more complete hacks, essentially
    All threads in the ROM Hack Studio must contain the following:
    • At least twelve screenshots, which must not simply be battle screens, Pokédex entries, stat screens, or showcase areas which have not been significantly edited. Screenshots which have been manipulated to inaccurately portray the ROM hack, or are otherwise fraudulent, will not count towards this minimum.
    • A download of a patch for a playable release of the ROM hack, which shows significant progress. The guideline is progress equivalent to what roughly seven Gyms of content would entail in a standard Pokémon game. The distribution of ROM files (.GBA, .NDS, .CIA, etc.) is illegal, and completely forbidden on the PokéCommunity. All downloads must be in patch form.
    • A story or overview of the themes of the ROM hack, or perhaps your goals in creating it.
    • Explicit credits to the work of other members of the community, whether that be for art assets, music, custom code, maps, etc. The user which submits the thread should have contributed a significant amount of work to the ROM hack. ROM hack theft is not tolerated, and punishment falls under [URL-INLINE=misc.php?do=rules#behavioral-offenses]the global PokéCommunity rules for plagiarism[/URL-INLINE].
    • A list of features of the ROM hack. This may include the amount of Pokémon available, changes to the game's battle engine, or other changes which can help differentiate your ROM hack from others for the player.

Progressing ROM Hacks - Rule Thread for hacks that are in progress, essentially
    All threads in Progressing ROM Hacks must contain the following:
    • At least six screenshots, which must not simply be battle screens, Pokédex entries, stat screens, or showcase areas which have not been significantly edited. Screenshots which have been manipulated to inaccurately portray the ROM hack, or are otherwise fraudulent, will not count towards this minimum.
    • A story or overview of the themes of the ROM hack, or perhaps your goals in creating it.
    • Explicit credits to the work of other members of the community, whether that be for art assets, music, custom code, maps, etc. The user which submits the thread should have contributed a significant amount of work to the ROM hack. ROM hack theft is not tolerated, and punishment falls under the global PokéCommunity rules for plagiarism.
    • A list of features of the ROM hack. This may include the amount of Pokémon available, changes to the game's battle engine, or other changes which can help differentiate your ROM hack from others for the player.

Sideshow Showcase - Rules For those smaller projects with minor game enhancements
    The Sideshow Showcase is exclusively for showcasing ROM hacks which do not significantly alter the base ROMs enough to qualify for the ROM Hacks Studio or Progressing ROM Hacks.
    All threads in The Sideshow Showcase must contain:
    All threads must contain the following:
    • An introduction which explains the changes from the vanilla ROM the ROM hack has made, or perhaps your goals in creating it.
    • Explicit credits to the work of other members of the community, whether that be for art assets, music, custom code, maps, etc. The user which submits the thread should have contributed a significant amount of work to the ROM hack. ROM hack theft is not tolerated, and punishment falls under the global PokéCommunity rules for plagiarism.

I realize that's quite a bit of information, so if you have any follow-up questions, feel free to post them here, or message one of the awesome ROM Hacking Mods, DrFuji or Avara.

Last edited:
    Back