• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Let’s discuss Pokémon US/UM: Theories and Speculation

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
I still believe main series games are separate from spin off games. There be rare occasions where you can transfer certain eggs and pokemon to a main series game but a spin-off is still a spin off.

most of the main series games are separate from each other with a few references thrown in and some characters since 5th gen. but the main series also has a bunch of references to the anime tossed in. hell, yellow is essentially the lovechild of the anime & rbg the super potion artwork was originally from "Here Comes the Squirtle Squad" in the 4th gen on Route 229 theres a pair of ace trainers based on butler & diane from wish maker. then theres also the pikachu coloed pichu & spiky-eared pichu are from the arceus movie and if you take a togepi into Cerulean Gym in hgss it wil start crying as a reference to misty' togepii.
not to mention
black-charizard-e.jpg

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
most of the main series games are separate from each other with a few references thrown in and some characters since 5th gen. but the main series also has a bunch of references to the anime tossed in. hell, yellow is essentially the lovechild of the anime & rbg the super potion artwork was originally from "Here Comes the Squirtle Squad" in the 4th gen on Route 229 theres a pair of ace trainers based on butler & diane from wish maker. then theres also the pikachu coloed pichu & spiky-eared pichu are from the arceus movie and if you take a togepi into Cerulean Gym in hgss it wil start crying as a reference to misty' togepii.
not to mention
black-charizard-e.jpg
Main series games are all main series games no matter what. Spin off games are spin offs. That is fact.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
gamefreak doesn't hold the entirety of the pokemon copyright, the copyright is jointly held with gamefreak nintendo & creatures. everyone is so quick to think gamefreak has all the sway on the main series canon, but creatures & nintendo has the same right to decide upon canon. hell, iwata worked on colluseum & XD and he worked on most of the main series games til his ascension
I'm well aware of that. However, bar Emerald (which was merely an updated version of GF-made games RS), all the games have primarily been Game Freak, and other spin-offs have lacked the main GF team.

At any rate, I agree that all games have a canon, it's just a matter of which ones fit with each other.
not to mention
References are one thing (and with movie stuff it's cross-promotion purposes more than anything - get more people paying money to see the movie, and advertise the games some more too), but otherwise that's pretty minimal and doesn't explain other contradictions like character portrayals in the games and anime.

Anyways I fear we're deviating a bit too much from the main topic (what do we expect/want of USUM). Let's start heading back to that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Compared to Sun & Moon, the game will show Necrozma earlier than just Post Game and include him in the main story. Maybe we will get more info about Anabel or other past characters.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
Years
I think these games will have an interesting way of doing things. They could have easily gone back to the drawing board and come out with a 3rd version "Eclipse/Stars", but they didn't. Despite disagreements between translations, I think that it could be an alternate universe like what was said in the video. A couple of my thoughts:

- I think there will be Gyms and the League fully established in this reality of Alola, with the Trial Captains as Gym Leaders and the Kahunas as the E4. Since there's only 7 Trial Captains, I think it would be an interesting call back to Gen 1's Giovanni to have Guzma as the 8th. IIRC, he was wanting to be a Bug-type Trial Captain. I also vaguely remember him being opposed to the Pokemon League taking place of the Trials, so maybe that could come into play for how Team Skull operates in these games.

- Despite Gyms, I think there will still be an element to the original Trials thrown into the mix. Maybe after defeating the Gyms of an island, you have to battle that island's Totem.

- Instead of true fusions like the Kyurem forms, I think this looks more like Necrozma possessing Solgaleo and Lunala instead of fusing with it. It's hard for me to explain, but it looks to me like some sort of parasitic armor. It's really interesting because it's not a UB but yet it's hinted that Solgaleo and Lunala are. Another interesting thing is that its Pokedex entry says it has a vicious disposition, so maybe Necrozma could be the first Pokemon main antagonist like how Lusamine was the first female main antagonist. I think that the whole story behind the UB's will be explored, these games are after all called "ultra".

- Speaking of Lusamine, what if the roles of her and her husband Mohn in the story are switched, with an added twist? Mohn is the head of the Aether Foundation and actually seeks to destroy the UB's because one was supposedly the cause of Lusamine's disappearance, thinking shes actually dead, possibly because of Necrozma directly or indirectly. You end up finding her later in the climax, and it has something to do with Necrozma taking over the Legendary.

Last edited:
Back