• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Pokeology

Years
  • Basically the idea is a series that looks at the biology of various pokemon and attempts to work out how they would function in the real world. Primarily I want to focus on their bodies and physical properties rather than attacks but that might maybe come into it sometimes.

The first pokemon I want to look at is Aron (thanks to the UG chat for the inspiration to do that) since it has some really interesting qualities such as a diet of metal and a seemingly metal body. Resident biology whiz Mana has agreed to help me out with stuff too if we get the go ahead.

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I can't unsee the similarity between this series and one I posted earlier, since it looks like you're going to base most of this on PokéDex information. (Please do correct me if I'm wrong.) How do you plan to style your articles? If they're going to be similar, maybe we can fuse our series together, otherwise I wouldn't see a problem of the two coexisting either.

Either way, I'd love to see more articles like these, definitely interesting. If you still need a chemistry nerd, which I believe you mentioned somewhere earlier: hi! o/

Years
  • I can't unsee the similarity between this series and one I posted earlier, since it looks like you're going to base most of this on PokéDex information. (Please do correct me if I'm wrong.) How do you plan to style your articles? If they're going to be similar, maybe we can fuse our series together, otherwise I wouldn't see a problem of the two coexisting either.

Either way, I'd love to see more articles like these, definitely interesting. If you still need a chemistry nerd, which I believe you mentioned somewhere earlier: hi! o/

I don't really have much planned structurally and I'm more interested in physical characteristics than stuff like Tyranitar hulk-smashing mountains or drifloon abducting children haha. I wouldn't mind combining our ideas though, although I would like to keep the focus on physical characteristics.

Also chemistry help is always warranted when dealing with bodies made of and containing weird shit haha

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I feel there is a difference between the two - one is focused on the dex entries and what one can draw from those, etc, the other looks at known facts to try and figure out specifically what a Pokemon looks like/is made out of, etc - not necessarily dex entries.

Think it would be worthwhile examining height/weight stuff as well, given people often don't realise how large (or small!) Pokemon can be. veekun.com is a neat resource for that with a comparison to a trainer.

Years
  • I feel there is a difference between the two - one is focused on the dex entries and what one can draw from those, etc, the other looks at known facts to try and figure out specifically what a Pokemon looks like/is made out of, etc - not necessarily dex entries.

Think it would be worthwhile examining height/weight stuff as well, given people often don't realise how large (or small!) Pokemon can be. veekun.com is a neat resource for that with a comparison to a trainer.

Height and weight would likely factor into it for a lot of pokemon since we're talking about things like physiology and what they're made of.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I don't really have much planned structurally and I'm more interested in physical characteristics than stuff like Tyranitar hulk-smashing mountains or drifloon abducting children haha. I wouldn't mind combining our ideas though, although I would like to keep the focus on physical characteristics.

Also chemistry help is always warranted when dealing with bodies made of and containing weird shit haha

Still... Aron eating cars and rails might be just as devastating as my "hulk-smashing" Tyranitar to your everyday life. Looking at how common your cute iron armor Pokémon are in the wild in some places, I think we can say which one ruins the Pokéworld the most. xD

Okay, but for serious, those few I listed were just examples. Why I definitely wanted to focus mostly on the crazier stuff, Pokémon like Aron would have had a chance to appear as well. But in case we're going to do separate series (which decision I leave up to you), I think I should leave Pokémon like this one to you.

Okay, so what do you want to know regarding chemistry? I'm afraid iron by itself is terribly boring: it's just a simple crystal structure consisting of nothing more than iron atoms.
    Human nutrition needs to contain small amounts of iron we use mainly to form hemoglobin complexes, the compound that is used by red blood cells to transport oxygen through the body. (It is also the compound that gives blood the typical red color.) What is interesting though, is that the iron core (to which the oxygen attaches) is positively charged, whereas regular iron is neutral. This might be the reason why Aron is also said to eat iron ore according to some PokéDex entries in which the iron is charged.

Those are some things I thought are fun to mention. If you need some clarification or addition of something, don't hesitate to ask!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Height and weight would likely factor into it for a lot of pokemon since we're talking about things like physiology and what they're made of.
    Sounds good!
    I don't really have anything to add here except this reminds me of something I've seen online:
    https://scientificpokedex.tumblr.com/
    They do analyses of different Pokemon sort of like the suggestion.
    Hum, that's a neat resource! Cheers for sharing that. (I wonder if down the track we should do a separate article about that site?)
    Still... Aron eating cars and rails might be just as devastating as my "hulk-smashing" Tyranitar to your everyday life. Looking at how common your cute iron armor Pokémon are in the wild in some places, I think we can say which one ruins the Pokéworld the most. xD

Okay, but for serious, those few I listed were just examples. Why I definitely wanted to focus mostly on the crazier stuff, Pokémon like Aron would have had a chance to appear as well. But in case we're going to do separate series (which decision I leave up to you), I think I should leave Pokémon like this one to you.
    I feel separate series is fine, and luckily we have 700+ Pokemon (and more to come perhaps with Sun and Moon as well), so I don't feel there's a great issue with overlap. Also, we can also have say you tackle Aron later on separately for your article series - a time gap between the two would be sufficient, and I still reckon there's enough to differentiate the two.
    Okay, so what do you want to know regarding chemistry? I'm afraid iron by itself is terribly boring: it's just a simple crystal structure consisting of nothing more than iron atoms.
    Human nutrition needs to contain small amounts of iron we use mainly to form hemoglobin complexes, the compound that is used by red blood cells to transport oxygen through the body. (It is also the compound that gives blood the typical red color.) What is interesting though, is that the iron core (to which the oxygen attaches) is positively charged, whereas regular iron is neutral. This might be the reason why Aron is also said to eat iron ore according to some PokéDex entries in which the iron is charged.

Those are some things I thought are fun to mention. If you need some clarification or addition of something, don't hesitate to ask!
    That sounds like pretty useful information to be incorporated!

Article series has approval! Made a separate thread for you, gimmepie, in the workshop subsection.

Years
  • Sounds good!
    Hum, that's a neat resource! Cheers for sharing that. (I wonder if down the track we should do a separate article about that site?)
    I feel separate series is fine, and luckily we have 700+ Pokemon (and more to come perhaps with Sun and Moon as well), so I don't feel there's a great issue with overlap. Also, we can also have say you tackle Aron later on separately for your article series - a time gap between the two would be sufficient, and I still reckon there's enough to differentiate the two.
    That sounds like pretty useful information to be incorporated!

Article series has approval! Made a separate thread for you, gimmepie, in the workshop subsection.

Is it possible to open that thread to multiple people since Mana and Lycan have volunteered to help me out?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • That'd require fiddly permissions stuff (although only for Lycanthropy given Mana is smod) and hence an admin to make a workaround. A simpler solution is to ignore that thread and write it here, just means it's in public eye (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), like with other collab articles.

Years
  • That'd require fiddly permissions stuff (although only for Lycanthropy given Mana is smod) and hence an admin to make a workaround. A simpler solution is to ignore that thread and write it here, just means it's in public eye (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), like with other collab articles.

Fine by me!

Major things to work out

1: Movement. With a body literally made of metal, how does Aron get around?
    2: Digestion: We can establish from Dex entries that Aron eats metal to keep its body strong and other stuff for nutrition. To dissolve the metal it'll need a crazy powerful stomach acid and a stomach that can hold it without melting. Also, how does that metal then end up in Aron's body?
    3: Diet: Aside from the metal, what exactly does it eat?

Anything people want to add?

Years
  • maybe how Aron interact with its environment? and how people and other Pokémon perceive it (its a threat to some modes of transportation like trains) and maybe its Psychological structure or basis? like extreme hunger can hamper its abilities to find iron ore (maybe be a symptom of procrastination) occasionally eating railroad tracks.also maybe its cellular structure to be based on iron molecules or something

~~~~~~BestWishes!

Back