• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Read any good books lately?

Years
  • Old thread is dead

So, read any good books lately? Or any bad books? What have you been reading lately?

I just finished a 70s classic scifi book called Roadside Picnic and as far as 70s classic scifi goes it's pretty good. I've since moved on to a book (autobiographical travelogue?) called Kon-Tiki about a guy who wanted to prove that the South Pacific people came from South America so he built a raft and grabbed some guys and went floating across the ocean. I also am slowly going through a non-fiction book called On The Map about the history of maps. It's kinda pop-history so it's not all that in depth which is why I'm taking my time with it.

But again, what are you reading?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'm reading a book I just got at the Ren fair on Saturday. It's called A Nordic Knight in Henry's court by Kris Tualla. It has a slow start, but her writing is actually very good. ^^ She's also a very nice woman when we talked the two times I was there this weekend~

Years
  • Finally reading A Song of Ice and Fire, currently on A Clash of Kings and they are masterfully written, almost definitely going to be my favourite series of books by the end.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Last book I actually completed was Exo - the fourth in the Jumper series by Stephen Gould. Don't led the awful Hayden Christensen film put you off, these books are seriously good.

I keep meaning to return to The Count of Monte Cristo - I read a lot of it on a transatlantic flight when I was starting my US study abroad last year, but then I was so busy that when I went back to it I needed a wikipedia page open at all times because of all the characters' name changes.

Years
  • I keep meaning to return to The Count of Monte Cristo - I read a lot of it on a transatlantic flight when I was starting my US study abroad last year, but then I was so busy that when I went back to it I needed a wikipedia page open at all times because of all the characters' name changes.
    I did the same thing and I had to start the entire book from the beginning because I couldn't keep any of the characters straight.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I did the same thing and I had to start the entire book from the beginning because I couldn't keep any of the characters straight.

I watched the film, and I don't think the remaining spoilers will ruin the book for me, but the fact that they didn't go and switch actors on us like with The Mountain in GoT made it a hell of a lot easier to keep up with.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    im reading The Keys by Dj Khaled, take that as you will

Svartulv

the black wind howls.
    Years
  • I don't think it's well known in English-speaking countries, but I'm currently reading The Night (that's the original title) by Rodrigo Blanco Calderón. It has won awards in France, and it's a really interesting, thrilling read (based in some real events, too). I'm pretty sure an English version is available on Amazon, and I really recommend it to you if you like literature and crime novels and stuff.

Back