• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

beam me up, scotty - STAR TREK

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
STAR TREK thread

Can't actually put a category on this one since it spans movies, tv, books, games... CLOTHING, LIFE etc

So, do you watch Star Trek in any form? What's your favorite series (and/or favorite movie?)?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Hey there :) I've watched the movies and all of Next Gen and Voyager, so I can count myself a fan.
Sweet! I haven't watched Next Generation yet, only bits and pieces, and the movies. Currently on S5 of Voyager, and planning on watching all of NG next c: I've also seen some of the original series. It was quite different back then, compared to Voyager haha...

So far, Voyager is definitely my fav iteration of this universe though.

How did you like the new timeline movies? The modern ones, I mean.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Yeah Voyager is hard to beat. There is a new show being made, Discovery. I don't know very much about It.
I did like the fresh reboot of 2009 with the new cast. But unfortunately the sequels Into Darkness and Beyond failed to impress. Star Trek Beyond had a better storyline at least.
Which characters do you like?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah Voyager is hard to beat. There is a new show being made, Discovery. I don't know very much about It.
I did like the fresh reboot of 2009 with the new cast. But unfortunately the sequels Into Darkness and Beyond failed to impress. Star Trek Beyond had a better storyline at least.
Which characters do you like?
I enjoyed Into Darkness a lot iirc. Only seen it once! Would like to rewatch. I almost fell asleep to Beyond though........ I still loved the first 2009 movie super much and I hope they keep making new ones with this cast. They really nailed the actors and the roles imo, especially Scotty and McCoy. Having Sylar as Spock is still slightly strange to me hahaha.

In Voyager, I adore the Doctor, Janeway and B'Elanna. The episode where the ship was taken over by a "macrovirus" and Janeway pretty much had to tackle it on her own with Doc's help was grand.

Years
I was never the biggest fan of this series, especially when I was younger (my dad would sit there and watch TNG every night, and at that age all I could think of was "this is so boring"), although...

I actually didn't mind watching Deep Space Nine. While I didn't go out of my way to keep up with episodes, if they were on (which was a lot of the time since, of course, my dad watched that as well), then chances were high I would stick around and see what happened. And even now, while I still wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, if someone's watching an episode, I'll watch it along with them. I can actually appreciate things now.

As for movies, uhhh. I don't remember most of them. :X The only ones I remember at the moment are Into Darkness and Beyond, and while I liked the latter, the former was...okay, I guess.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Even Benedict Cumberbatch couldn't save Into Darkness for me.
I also liked the new cast and thought they were good choices. The most famous person I have met was Karl Urban (Bones) at a pop culture convention.

pkmin3033

I've seen most of The Next Generation, Voyager, and Enterprise. It's a toss-up between the first two as to which is my favourite. The former has better acting in general, but the latter has a more interesting plot, and some wonderfully standout moments (most of them involving The Doctor) that make it a really, really good series. Enterprise was...interesting. It didn't really *feel* like Star Trek to me, but it was a fairly interesting take on things even so.

Insurrection is easily the best Star Trek movie...that HMS Pinafore scene. Ohhh my goodness. Gets me every time. Especially Worf's reaction in general to the whole thing. I've watched part of the first film in the reboots, but I have a general aversion to J.J. Abrams' work so I've not been particularly motivated to watch the second, and it seems silly to watch the third without watching that one first. xD

I hate Deep Space Nine. I just...cannot stand it. Seriously, if you want a good space-station based science fiction TV series, watch Babylon 5. I think part of my dislike for DS9 comes from watching B5 first and being blown away by it and then subsequently bored by DS9, so I'll admit my dislike of it is not entirely unbiased...that said, it was a huge step down from TNG, and it can't compete with Voyager.

Overall, I like Star Trek, though! It's not even close to being my favourite science-fiction franchise - it's probably my third, behind B5 and Stargate, maybe tied with Star Wars given how terribly that's being handled now - but it's a lot better than, say, Farscape. Or the Battlestar Galactica reboot. It's got its own unique charms...and oh, those musical numbers peppered throughout the series. A lot of actors who were in Star Trek and are then in something later are kinda defined by their Star Trek roles in my mind, too. xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I've seen most of The Next Generation, Voyager, and Enterprise. It's a toss-up between the first two as to which is my favourite. The former has better acting in general, but the latter has a more interesting plot, and some wonderfully standout moments (most of them involving The Doctor) that make it a really, really good series. Enterprise was...interesting. It didn't really *feel* like Star Trek to me, but it was a fairly interesting take on things even so.

Insurrection is easily the best Star Trek movie...that HMS Pinafore scene. Ohhh my goodness. Gets me every time. Especially Worf's reaction in general to the whole thing. I've watched part of the first film in the reboots, but I have a general aversion to J.J. Abrams' work so I've not been particularly motivated to watch the second, and it seems silly to watch the third without watching that one first. xD

I hate Deep Space Nine. I just...cannot stand it. Seriously, if you want a good space-station based science fiction TV series, watch Babylon 5. I think part of my dislike for DS9 comes from watching B5 first and being blown away by it and then subsequently bored by DS9, so I'll admit my dislike of it is not entirely unbiased...that said, it was a huge step down from TNG, and it can't compete with Voyager.

Overall, I like Star Trek, though! It's not even close to being my favourite science-fiction franchise - it's probably my third, behind B5 and Stargate, maybe tied with Star Wars given how terribly that's being handled now - but it's a lot better than, say, Farscape. Or the Battlestar Galactica reboot. It's got its own unique charms...and oh, those musical numbers peppered throughout the series. A lot of actors who were in Star Trek and are then in something later are kinda defined by their Star Trek roles in my mind, too. xD
oh my god somebody who has watched B5
I probably am ruined and cannot watch DS9 then, haha. Babylon 5 looks like shit in some ways but was utterly brilliant up to S4.

pkmin3033

I probably am ruined and cannot watch DS9 then, haha. Babylon 5 looks like shit in some ways but was utterly brilliant up to S4.
Aaaaah literally freakin' nobody has heard of B5 and it's so frustrating because it's absolutely amazing if you can get past the painful CGI...and the horribly confusing time travel involving B4. And just not watch season 5, save for the final episode, because OH GOD THAT WAS PERFECTION.

Well, maybe, maybe not...the returning characters from DS9 might make it more appealing for you, and it has a few cameos, but...yeah, B5 is in another league entirely. For one thing, DS9 doesn't have Londo in it, so it's at an immediate disadvantage there, haha.

...and Odo really got on my nerves.

Years
I've watched part of the first film in the reboots, but I have a general aversion to J.J. Abrams' work so I've not been particularly motivated to watch the second, and it seems silly to watch the third without watching that one first. xD

No, no. It actually works really well to watch Star Trek (the reboot movie) and then Beyond and skip Into Darkness. (I also understand your aversion to Abrams, but I think he did an okay enough job on the first Trek movie.) They fit together pretty well. I did a double feature of the movies not that long ago with some friends and we all thought it worked.

I'm the opposite. I'm still trying to get through B5, but it just doesn't compare to DS9 to me. Granted, DS9 has some rocky episodes (what Trek series doesn't?) and by the end of the series it feels less Star Trek and more Battlestar Galactica (or whatever) but it's still a solid series and has some of the best recurring characters of any show.

I think DS9 and Voyager are equally good (though I personally prefer DS9). I also had to force myself to finish Enterprise. Not a fan of that series.

pkmin3033

No, no. It actually works really well to watch Star Trek (the reboot movie) and then Beyond and skip Into Darkness. (I also understand your aversion to Abrams, but I think he did an okay enough job on the first Trek movie.) They fit together pretty well. I did a double feature of the movies not that long ago with some friends and we all thought it worked.
Really? Maybe I'll give it a try if I ever get the chance to, then. I suppose Abrams did an OK job with the first Star Trek film, but I got bored halfway through it and I haven't been motivated to try going back to it since I discovered he was the one behind it. But he has definitely done worse *coughforceawakenscough* so maybe I'll see...the trailers for Beyond looked good.

I'm the opposite. I'm still trying to get through B5, but it just doesn't compare to DS9 to me. Granted, DS9 has some rocky episodes (what Trek series doesn't?) and by the end of the series it feels less Star Trek and more Battlestar Galactica (or whatever) but it's still a solid series and has some of the best recurring characters of any show.

I think DS9 and Voyager are equally good (though I personally prefer DS9). I also had to force myself to finish Enterprise. Not a fan of that series.
Maybe it really does depend on what you watch first, then...I mean, the similarities between the two start and end at the fact they're both set on a space station, but even so, that's often enough for most people to draw comparisons...was enough for me anyway, haha. I'm also a huge fan of Straczynski as a writer - I grew up with his Spiderman comics - so that was a huge motivator for me to watch the show as well. I've not seen the original BSG, but the reboot was absolutely diabolical for the most part, so I'm not sure if going from bad to worse is a good thing there, haha.

What didn't you like about Enterprise? I didn't hate it, but I think in a weird way for me it had a very Star Wars-prequel feel to it in terms of the technology supposedly being less advanced but looking more advanced. They did their best to stress it wasn't, and I thought it worked out pretty well overall, but that nagging feeling in the back of my head wouldn't go away, haha.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
My husband likes Enterprise. I think it's strange because of how it is set hundred years before Kirk's time.
I could not watch Babylon 5. The acting seemed really cheesy (very much like DS9) in the beginning and I have heard it gets good but life's too short lol. I can watch DS9 a little but it's not my favourite.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I loveddd the reboot movies! My friend is a huge fan, but I've always been wary of checking out the old series... Used to see it on tv a lot, though, and I'm sure it's still there. I do like the lore and characters (in particular Picard and the Borg).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
aaaaaaaa, I watch too much trek.

I'm always working my way through one of the series, going from one to next, around and around forever

Love them all for different reasons, but voyager is the favourite child. Excited to get around to Enterprise again soon though

Currently on DS9, hot on the tail of TNG, in the never ending cycle I'm trapped in

ultimate lifestyle tbh

Years
What didn't you like about Enterprise? I didn't hate it, but I think in a weird way for me it had a very Star Wars-prequel feel to it in terms of the technology supposedly being less advanced but looking more advanced. They did their best to stress it wasn't, and I thought it worked out pretty well overall, but that nagging feeling in the back of my head wouldn't go away, haha.

There are a lot of things I could go into, but to summarize:

- Archer, the bumbling, comic-relief-esque captain minus the comedy
- Awkward, cringey sexytimes plots everywhere
- Wasting characters. Who was that one black guy who was theoretically a main character? Did he even have a name? Did he ever have lines?
- Go America! Earth! We'll teach those snobby foreigners Vulcans not to look down on us!

It just all felt really off and not like it was part of the Star Trek series that came before it. Like, I can forgive the show looking more advanced (like the Star Wars prequels) and stuff like that, but the show didn't seem to know what direction it was going.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I love Star Trek. I've only watched The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine in their entirety, and the latter is one of my favourite shows of all time. Whenever someone asks me "Kirk or Picard" I always respond with "Sisko." ^_^ And if you think that's an unpopular opinion wait until you hear this: I actually LIKED Nemesis. :P I've seen a lot of Vogyager and Enterprise as well, though only in patches and not episodically. I like what I've seen so far though.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Have we all seen the trailer for Star Trek Discovery?

(it didn't work for me, maybe this will)

I'm not sure why they keep going backwards in time, why not make a new show set after Voyager, dealing with politics in the Delta Quadrant etc? Ant yet another half human half vulcan? Heh. Regardless, I'll obviously be watching this c:

Years
I'm not sure why they keep going backwards in time, why not make a new show set after Voyager, dealing with politics in the Delta Quadrant etc? Ant yet another half human half vulcan? Heh. Regardless, I'll obviously be watching this c:

I think Voyager was hit-and-miss with a lot of people so I'm not sure there would be as much interest in going back there as there would be to rehash more familiar things like Vulcans and Klingons and old staples like that.

Personally, I'd have liked them to go somewhere completely new, but I'm still gonna be pretty happy with this new series, I hope.

hyyyyyypppeee and on netflix too, perfect

Not gonna be on Netflix as far as I know. I read it's supposed to be on the network's own streaming serving that'll require a subscription with them specifically.

Back