• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tiles

G00dbye

Ludicolo
Years

I don't like the houses of dppt/hgss because most of the time they doesn't look good because of the 16 colors. I like custom tiles if they are made nicely, like that ones in the signature from DrFuji I like them

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • using the old fr/lg tiles is boring...using dppt tiles is great giving the game a gen 4 feel... but using custom tiles is trhe best...it gives a certain feel of uniqueness to the hack.... as long as they are gd tiles.....

Alias-

It was Suicidally Beautiful.
    Years
  • Each style is different; comparing different styles of tiles is similar to asking yourself which kind of food is better, Mexican or Chinese? Generally, you don't mix the two. The same goes for tiles. Don't mix fourth generation tiles with third generation, it just looks bad. And it's not like they work can easily put into the game as fourth generation tiles that are altered to be two dimensional are based on a ones that come from a 3D engine.
    I wouldn't say a Picasso is any better than a Moneau. As long as they are skillfully created, I can see the purpose and appreciate the work the creator put in to make their project aesthetic.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I think that the FRLG tiles are beautiful just the way they are.

Although if i were to insert something to them it would probably be that sideway staircase on routes. (they only have vertival staircases)

other than that as it is. as it is.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Personally, I prefer either 3rd or 4th gen inspired tiles. As in, tiles that match a style, but have a different look. And in many cases, this is necessary. Because chances are there aren't tiles that match your specific needs, like most any forms of snow in FR, a certain unique building, ect. But I do like new tiles, not something that is required in the most basic of hacks, but most hacks need tiles made specifically for the game itself, in my mind at least.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Well, I like the Fire Red tiles with a bit of palette editing. I also like R/S/E tiles that match the Fire Red style. However, I'm not fond of the Fired cave tiles; I prefer the D/P/Pt cave tiles. :3

Pogeygothaxed

Pokémon exDeltaSpecies Creator
    Years
  • 1) : Stop bashing the R/S tiles. THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're not that plasbad. No one complained when the Blanket first came out. You're just comparing it to the newer tiles, which obviously is going to have differences. It's a different style, completely. Look at the 3rd gen Pokemon. Look at the 4th / 5th gen Pokemon. THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're the things that are hideous, imo.

2) : It's not the tile itself that isn't appealing to you, it's the pallet. Your eyes interpret colors and form images based on the reflections, etc etc. You could make tiles look "better" by simply replacing them. Go try it for yourself. Usually, the "tiles look better" when THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're placed in places that seem more realistic. Because again, you're comparing it to what you see irl.

3) : The 3rd Gen Pokemon, the 4th/5th, compare them to the originals. You can see the differences, THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're huge. Personally, I hate the new Pokes because THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're so different THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER don't even feel like Pokemon anymore. That's why most people dis-like Fakemon. But that's not my point. My point is: different styles are different. Just like any crazy form of -art-. Even if it's the same Pokemon (i.e. new re-spriting of old pokes, tiles, etc) people just have their own way of seeing things. You'll never find something that everyone prefers.

4) : Accept it for what it is. Play the hack or don't. Tiles aren't that important, it's just a way to represent a picture the mapper has in his/her mind.

P.s. I don't like how every new hack has to have new tiles, pallets, and have them as features when THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER're almost monitory anyway. I've played a lot of older hacks that were mere "edits" of the original Blankets, and THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER were just fine. All of this was my opinion, and you're in no way obligated to agree. All I ask is that you don't start an argument over anything that I've said, because it's my right to say it. :)

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • ok, might be a little off topic, but someone commented on my post asking me
    what ar 'gd' tiles ?

In answer to that, 'gd' tiles is not some type of tiles, gd is short for good.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
    Years
  • i like fr/lg tile rse not that much as for other tiles i like hg ss tile very much too:D
    as for custom...i like alucus coz they are hg ss stylish and when i saw the first time alistair tiles those with some big tree i really hated them and didnt like them...when than i saw a firend working with those and than i started to use them myself ans yeah they are wonderfull and can look awesome too:D

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • I love fr tiles but at the same time most custom tiles like the previous poster put,
    alistair tiles, i am using them in my hack, even though they are over used i don't think that is a problem since i mixed alistair tiles with others and also some custom tile of my own and the tiles itself don't really bring out the quality of the hacks but the pallete and the mapping style/quality which brings out the most of the tiles.
    That is what i think that is why i don't mind in the overused tiles since it is beautiful hence overused.
    It is still a matter of what each person thinks..xD

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
    Years
  • yeah the poster before me is rightXD
    but i don't think that alistair tiles are that much overused i know some poeple that have very much difficulties in using the tree tile because they don;t know how to map with them because they are bigger than 32x48.
    i for myself had difficulties too when i just get them but wheni inserted them i get use of them:D and with other pallets and maybe some other tiles and some custom they look pretty awesome:D

Back