• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's talk about competitive Pokemon!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Would anyone be interested in getting together for like once a week/once every two weeks on the battle server to talk about competitive Pokemon? Think of it as a community day except the main goal is to get everyone's thoughts on a certain topic about competitive Pokemon in the hopes of learning more about said topic. The whole thing could last for like an hour or less, and everyone is given the chance to ask about things they want to know such as "how do I counter Magearna?" I think this could be a fun learning opportunity for anyone who wants to learn, but I'm curious whether or not there's enough interest for it to be a thing.

Would like to hear your thoughts, as well as any questions you'd like to clarify. Thanks!

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I think this would be a fun activity for not only the active people around this section to continue fine tuning their battling skills but also potentially draw in some new people who want to learn more.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Great idea. I think it'd be better to host a tournament during then to encourage more people to come. For example, maybe some people aren't that interested in discussion, but come for the tournament and end up getting drawn into the discussion anyway. It also breaks the ice and makes the discussion feel less forced when you can talk about the ongoing battles if there's nothing else to go over. I'd actually prefer doing this as opposed to Community Days because it'd be more feasible to fit into my schedule nowadays. We can save Community Days for holidays and such.

Sirfetch’d

Absolutely love the idea. I think now is a great time to have the first one to summarize our thoughts on the SM meta and how it fared. THings are going to change soon with USUM and we can have another once those games are out to preview the meta.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Love the interest for this, thanks guys! I'd like to ask the help of the battle server staff for this, which is something that I forgot to mention in the OP. Anyway, I think we should figure out when to hold it so if everyone could suggest a suitable date and time for it, that'd be swell. Sometime during Saturday, perhaps?

As for the suggestions (tournaments, PC Daily battling area revival[how would this work?], and SM meta summarization), I think all of it sounds great! I could come up with a shortlist of possible talking points as well.

Last edited:

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
  • Ooo, this sounds like fun...If I'm around at the time, I'll join in...:)...

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Sounds lovely. I've beeb too out of competitive play lately due to work and whatnot, and can't guarantee I'd make it every time, but I'll put in the effort to make it to some when I can.

Sirfetch’d

Sounds lovely. I've beeb too out of competitive play lately due to work and whatnot, and can't guarantee I'd make it every time, but I'll put in the effort to make it to some when I can.

pls make it I miss you!!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I need to figure out which times would work best for most in order to actually get this started. I've talked to noa and she's informed me that the server is usually most active at around 1-3 PM (PST) and 7-9 PM (PST). Would this be a suitable time, or are there times that would be more convenient? Thanks all!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'll do my best. I work full-time, usually from 1-8 PM, 5 days a week. Weekends would be easier since I get off earlier than 8.

Years
  • I forgot to post before haha, of course I'm interested about this too! 1 PM (PST) works great for me since I live in Europe!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    In the spirit of getting this on the way, I will try to host one of these every day at around 7PM Eastern Time (GMT-4) starting on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 (approximately a little over the day from now). Would appreciate if some people join me, as this would serve as a test run! I want to host the actual one on a Saturday. If people could suggest a more suitable time as well, I'd gladly appreciate. Thanks!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Why not do it weekly or something instead? Let's be real for a moment--it's sooner or later not going to be a daily thing. You and others may get burned out from it happening so constantly, may just forget to do it, life will get in the way, the server may just feel like dying for a moment because it can, etc.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Why not do it weekly or something instead? Let's be real for a moment--it's sooner or later not going to be a daily thing. You and others may get burned out from it happening so constantly, may just forget to do it, life will get in the way, the server may just feel like dying for a moment because it can, etc.

It is a weekly thing, as I've mentioned in the first post :) I just wanted to do a couple of test runs to see which time would work for people. Realistically, I'll be on the server everyday at 7PM ET, but that doesn't really mean I'll be hosting the talk. As I've also mentioned, the first official one would be (hopefully) on Saturday at 7PM ET (tentative time).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It is a weekly thing, as I've mentioned in the first post :) I just wanted to do a couple of test runs to see which time would work for people. Realistically, I'll be on the server everyday at 7PM ET, but that doesn't really mean I'll be hosting the talk. As I've also mentioned, the first official one would be (hopefully) on Saturday at 7PM ET (tentative time).
    You just said that this was to be a daily thing though? Unless "I will try to host one of these every day" was meant to be a temporary thing.

also fuck me for not reading the OP thoroughly

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    You just said that this was to be a daily thing though? Unless "I will try to host one of these every day" was meant to be a temporary thing.

also fuck me for not reading the OP thoroughly

I will try to host one of these every day at around 7PM Eastern Time (GMT-4) starting on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 (approximately a little over the day from now). Would appreciate if some people join me, as this would serve as a test run! I want to host the actual one on a Saturday.
    I should have clarified that I will try to host one every day until the actual one on Saturday, which would be this October 21st. The ones I will be trying to host every day will just be talking--no tournaments or whatsoever. If people want to talk about competitive then they could come on the test runs but the actual first session would be on a Saturday. Think of the daily runs as rehearsals, if you want to. I just want to talk about battling and team building on the server, to be honest, as it is more fun to be with a community.

Anyway to clarify, I will be on the server every day starting today, October 17, until Saturday, October 21, at exactly 7PM ET (GMT-4). If anyone wishes to join me to talk about how OU is a complete joke, or need help in building a team: I'll be on the server. You're free to join me, but I'm not compelling anyone to go out of their way to be able to make it. Thank you!

Reactions: Nah
    Back