• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Do IVs affect physiology?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • Or does physiology determine IVs? Either way it's a question. In the games we can't see differences in physiology, so we're kind of off to imagine things here yo. Like, IVs are genetic, yeah? So do those genetics display themselves in certain ways? Are Pokémon with higher IVs naturally bigger in stature, more flexible and quick without trying? EVs are, in essence, what you gain from exercise. Higher tolerances, muscle mass, etc. They are a trainable skill. But IVs are a genetic trait. Does that make sense? And how do you think certain IVs would display themselves in regards to certain Pokémon?

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • See I don't really get that. Like why would it only affect like stat damage etc when IVs are a defined trait of the Pok?mon? I really think that it would show somehow, since I also think EVs would show and like training in general?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • It does, but I still disagree. I think that Pok?mon with higher IVs are going to look slightly different, be built slightly different, because their maximum capacity for strength is actually different. Straight up differing body types, as humans have, you know? That difference would be slight, and harder to see especially between those that have natural capacity vs those who have been trained for it, but there. I think EVs would reflect more in training because really like what exercise doesn't change your body? Pok?mon are living creatures with muscle and fat that will shift and change as they use their bodies.

Really what I'm saying here is more like- what we know to be interpreted as EVs and IVs in game, wouldn't those be "exercise" and "body type" in a more realistic environment?

Years
  • Anna's post just above has a strong point since I often viewed IVs as what differences a Pokemon's body structure could have, and that EVs are essentially exercise to boost their strength and performance.

Years
  • I'm interested in seeing your reasoning beyond "I agree with this post", Hikari. Why do you see IVs as Pokemon having a different physiological structure? This is rather interesting discussion and if you're going to agree with someone's viewpoint, I'd like to see some reasoning rather than parroting what someone else has said.

Do keep in mind that I have thinker's block which makes it a bit hard to discuss in "complicated" topics on my part.

I feel that the psychological structure has slight differences to accommodate the stats like slightly more buff arms for high Attack, or maybe thinner legs for Speed. It's like how every human has a difference, so each Pokemon has a difference physically as well and that's what I interpret IVs as.

Back