• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding animations to non emerald sprites in pokemon emerald

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
So I wanted the fire red/leaf green sprites for kanto pokemon in pokemon emerald, because I think they look better, and I was inspired by pokemon emerald kaizo to do this. The problem is, they lack an animation, so even if I put in their front and back sprites from fire red, they keep their new sprite from the animation instead. I should mention, I am using the expanded version of pokeemerald, so it is using the custom, ds-esc sprites normally. One way I've tried to work around this is to use their front.png as their animation, but they end up disappearing for a second while the animation happens before coming back to normal. When looking at emerald kaizo, it seems that all the kanto pokemon have their animations integrated without this issue, and hell, I wouldn't mind removing the animations for the kanto pokemon, I just want to have the kanto pokemon sprites in the game without issue.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Did you just replace anim_front.png with firered's front.png? If yes then your problem is probably caused by anim_front.png being 64x64 instead of 64x128.
Creating a 64x128 image where the firered's front sprite is repeated twice should work.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
Did you just replace anim_front.png with firered's front.png? If yes then your problem is probably caused by anim_front.png being 64x64 instead of 64x128.
Creating a 64x128 image where the firered's front sprite is repeated twice should work.

Every time I try and copy and paste a fire red sprite, whether from github or from bulbapedia, it always sayd "unsupported colour type" and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
That means your image file is not indexed.

You can either index your image with the normal.pal or just edit the already indexed png from pokefirered.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'indexing' (I'm new to all this). I use graphics gale to save the palletes of the fire red/emerald sprites instead of the custom ones in the normal.pal, but that's really as much as I know about that.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
Years
  • Seen today
@Hurdedur

Paint in Windows 10 is not able to work with indexed images. After saving the palette will be gone. Use Paint XP instead if you want to use paint.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
@Hurdedur

Paint in Windows 10 is not able to work with indexed images. After saving the palette will be gone. Use Paint XP instead if you want to use paint.

even if I use paint xp, when I try copying and pasting the sprite in the 64 by 128 frame, I still get met with the "unsupported colour type" message when building the rom.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 3, 2023
even if I use paint xp, when I try copying and pasting the sprite in the 64 by 128 frame, I still get met with the "unsupported colour type" message when building the rom.

Try using Graphics Gale again and make sure the "save alpha layer" option isn't on in the saving dialogue. I had that same problem a few days ago.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
Try using Graphics Gale again and make sure the "save alpha layer" option isn't on in the saving dialogue. I had that same problem a few days ago.

I don't see the the option for 'save alpha layer', where would I find it?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
I suppose Lagniappe is talking about the box that says "With Alpha Channel" when you save a file by going to File -> Save As.

Ahh okay, thanks. I just tried it out with the bulbasaur fire red sprite, and it not does the sprite not teleport out of existence for a second, but it imitates the movements of the emerald bulbasaur sprite, so it is doing exactly what I wanted. Thanks again.

Back