• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
Years
  • Hey, i'm thinking about starting an OU team and I have a question:

Can Pokemon from other tiers go into OU?

For example, can an Alakazam (UU) go into an OU tier?
    Or an Ampharos (NU) can it go into UU/OU tier?

Thanks in advance xD

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Hey, i'm thinking about starting an OU team and I have a question:

Can Pokemon from other tiers go into OU?

For example, can an Alakazam (UU) go into an OU tier?
    Or an Ampharos (NU) can it go into UU/OU tier?

Thanks in advance xD

Yes, all lower tiered pokemon can be placed into an OU team. Same goes for UU. NU/NFE can be placed in UU teams as well.

Ubers are the only things not allowed in OU play.

Years
  • This probably a stupid question, but...

what's different about Shadow Tag that makes it so much worse (uber ability) than Arena Trap?

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    This probably a stupid question, but...

what's different about Shadow Tag that makes it so much worse (uber ability) than Arena Trap?

Arena Trap only traps grounded (pokemon without the flying type or levitate ability) pokemon.

Shadow Tag traps everything.

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Thinking about breeding a Swablu for Altaria. Any idea what nature I should give it? What move set it should have when its been bred?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Hi, everyone. My name is Tkallab and I have a question.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to competitive battling. I made a team once based on my in-game Soul Silver team, and I won with it once. This time, I'm trying to make a UU team for real.

I'm looking for a way to get my main sweeper, SubLiechi Feraligatr, on the field safely. I was thinking of Baton Passing a Substitute to him. For this, I chose Leafeon, who could possibly bait a Fire Pokémon, and then Baton Pass a Substitute to Feraligatr, who then forces a swich. After that, the opponent still has to kill the Substitute, so that gives Feraligatr two turns of Dragon Dances. After that, he keeps Substituting until his HP is in range of Torrent and the Liechi Berry, thus being able to start his sweep.

I think this would require incredible luck to be pulled off... What do you think? And is there a better way to do something like this?
    Thanks in advance.

By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but this was the best place I could find. If this is the wrong place, then what is the right place?
    I don't have much experience with UU, but I will give you some advice that I do know. You will most likely not have your Sub after Baton Passing because most Fire Pokémon are strong enough to do +25% to Feraligatr (just saying). You could still keep Leafeon and teach it Swords Dance so you could possibly pass a boost sometimes? You will need something to deal with priority users (which are very common in UU) and fast Choice Scarf users (if you're not successful in DDing twice). Spiritomb could help with Scarfers like Rotom and Hitmonlee by Pursuiting the former and cripples Lee.

Thinking about breeding a Swablu for Altaria. Any idea what nature I should give it? What move set it should have when its been bred?
    These are the standard movesets:

Altaria @ Life Orb
    Adamant
    252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Roost / Fire Blast

Sweep by setting-up a Dragon Dance, with Outrage for STAB and Earthquake to hit Steel-types. Roost is used to recover Stealth Rock damage, help you set-up more DDs, etc, while Fire Blast to damage Steelix more than EQ. You can also use a more defensive moveset with Dragon Dance / Outrage / Rest / Sleep Talk and Careful nature and 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Speed. 36 Speed EVs is to outrun Moltres and other base 90's after a DD. Dragon Dance / Dragon Claw / Roost / Heal Bell or Safeguard with Careful and 252 HP / 16 Atk / 176 SpD / 64 Speed can also be used.

Altaria @ Leftovers
    Careful
    252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
    - Dragon Claw
    - Roost
    - Heal Bell
    - Perish Song / Roar / Haze

This is to support teams. Heal Bell is to remove your team from status afflictions. The last moveslot is for forcing setting-up Pokémon to switch, Perish Song can faint last Pokémon sweeps, Roar is more reliable though it doesn't stop last Pokémon sweeps, and Haze is the most reliable but it doesn't force switches which means less entry hazard damage.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    was wondering if ah shuckle can learn pain split or wish anything like that other then rest?

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
    Years
  • Hi

I'm gonna raise up a Kingdra for the purposes of completing my dex, but i figure if I'm going to invest time in a poke I want it to have its best potential.

Is it worth creating a Horsea that knows Razor Wind, with the sniper ability + focus energy? I think it'll be a bit of work to create it, so is it worth it?

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    Don't use a focus energy strategy, simply because focus energy is unreliable and will not provide a substantial increase in the amount of crits you get.

Just use this set instead
    Kingdra
    Leftovers / Lum Berry Adamant nature
    Moveset
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Outrage

EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
    Years
  • Don't use a focus energy strategy, simply because focus energy is unreliable and will not provide a substantial increase in the amount of crits you get.

Just use this set instead
    Kingdra
    Leftovers / Lum Berry Adamant nature
    Moveset
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Outrage

EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

really? oh I was going down totally the wrong route then, because I was aiming for a Modest kingdra because its natural moveset all appeared to be special attacks.

Plus i presume that "Spe" in your post refers to defence rather than attack?

cheers

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • There's nothing wrong with running a special kingdra, considering how it gets quite some high-powered moves on both the physical and the special side of the spectrum. Physical sweepers are usually favored in this meta as they are not necessarily stopped in their tracks by blissey.. but Kingdra is one of the few mons that can possibly down her with a special set as well (gogo sniper)

Idk if this set is common or that viable anymore, but you could run a specsdra set that looks a little something like this:

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Sniper
    Nature: Modest
    EV's: 252 SpA, [something] Speed (run 252 or w/e you want here, and add the rest into HP)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Surf

^ thing is, when you crit blissey with draco meteor, it has a pretty decent chance (81.43% - 95.89%) of dying w/ stealth rock damage. Everything else will get molested.
    Simply spam DM/Hydro Pump at the beginning of the game according to your wishes, and use Surf/DPulse late-game.

EDIT: tkallab, I guess you could pair that Feraligatr up with something that can clear away priority/faster things and damage its normal checks?
    Azumarill could possibly work well as it is countered by mostly the same things as Feraligatr like Milotic (it can after all just haze away your boosts), grass types, and rotom to a lesser extent, though he doesn't add that many resists. Since you'll be hiding behind a sub, I doubt that it will matter that much to you, but faster stuff like rotom could also possibly wow you, leaving you with a rather crippled feraligatr. Houndoom loves to absorb a wow, and lures in water-types that you could set up on. You could also add Houndoom's very good friend toxicroak, which in general sets up on "hard counters" to gatr doom like the aforementioned milotic without worries, leaving you with an easier time to sweep. Toxicroak also resists most of the priority that bothers feraligatr (although it is really frail, so I wouldn't rely on it too much), so it could work out rather decently.

Last edited:

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    So I have an Adamant Torchic, any ideas what moveset it should have? How I can EV train it? I was thinking using agility instead of using a choice scarf for the physical set. And using Sky Uppercut instead of Low Kick/Superpower. What do you guys think?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    So I have an Adamant Torchic, any ideas what moveset it should have? How I can EV train it? I was thinking using agility instead of using a choice scarf for the physical set. And using Sky Uppercut instead of Low Kick/Superpower. What do you guys think?

Why use Sky Uppersuck ? It has like no advantages over SuperPower/Low Kick lol

Blaziken@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    252 Att / 252 Speed/ 6 Hp
    - Flare Blitz
    - Low Kick/SuperPower
    - ThunderPunch
    - Stone Edge

CBer, predict and put holes in teams.

Blaziken@Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    - Fire Punch / Blaze Kick
    - Swords Dance
    - Low Kick / SuperPower
    - ThunderPunch / Stone Edge / Quick Attack

SDer and late game cleaner. Last slot hits Slowbro/King, Blastoise and Altaria respectively whilst SD LO Quick Attack OHKO's Dugtrio so it cant revenge kill you.

Agility Blaziken really isnt very good because its so easy to wall and revenge kill.

Obligatory "If you are using this in OU please just use the superior Infernape" lol

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Why use Sky Uppersuck ? It has like no advantages over SuperPower/Low Kick lol

Blaziken@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Low Kick/SuperPower
    - ThunderPunch
    - Stone Edge

CBer, predict and put holes in teams.

Blaziken@Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    - Fire Punch / Blaze Kick
    - Swords Dance
    - Low Kick / SuperPower
    - ThunderPunch / Stone Edge / Quick Attack

SDer and late game cleaner. Last slot hits Slowbro/King, Blastoise and Altaria respectively whilst SD LO Quick Attack OHKO's Dugtrio so it cant revenge kill you.

Agility Blaziken really isnt very good because its so easy to wall and revenge kill.

Obligatory "If you are using this in OU please just use the superior Infernape" lol

Okay thanks, I'll keep this in mind. Its for an UU team.

Lickitricky

Avast, ye scurvy dogs!
    Years
  • I've been looking at Exeggutor's stats lately, and with Chlorophyl, it seems like it could really do some damage under the right conditions.

What would be an example of a good Special Sweeper Exeggutor for a Sunny Day Double Team? (UU)

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I've been looking at Exeggutor's stats lately, and with Chlorophyl, it seems like it could really do some damage under the right conditions.

What would be an example of a good Special Sweeper Exeggutor for a Sunny Day Double Team? (UU)

Exeggutor@ Choice Specs

Nature: Modest

Evs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Moveset:

HP Fire
    Solarbeam
    Sunny Day
    Explosion

This is my first hypothetical moveset, so I hope it helps you :)

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    if you are going to take advantage of his chloryphyll ability specs is not your best option because he can easily be put into an unfavourable match up and be forced to switch out.
    This set would work much better.

Leftovers
    Chlorophyll
    Moveset
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Energy Ball
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Synthesis

EV's: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

This set combines it's great bulk and great sweeping capabilities.

Hope this helps

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    What Pokemon/sets compliment this Infernape set:

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Naive nature
    EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
    -Fire Blast
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot