• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Tutoring Program - stop signing up...seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • PokéCommunity Tutoring Program

Introduction

Third time is the charm folks! Once again, we're putting a tutoring program in place. We have every intention of having an active and worthwhile program that everyone will get a lot out of. It is no secret that our activity fell off a cliff, so we really need this to work. With that in mind, please only sign up if you have the time to do this and are willing to put in the effort to teach/get better! It really will make the process run much more smoothly, so we'd really appreciate it if you take into consideration that this will be a bit time-consuming and will be going on for over two months. Thanks!

Details

As for how exactly this will work, there will be eight students and eight tutors. Each student will be assigned to a tutor. Once that happens, there will be one month of tutoring and then a tournament between the students to check progress. Then there will be another month of tutoring and then a second tournament to wrap up this first round of our tutoring program. The time for tutoring is a little arbitrary so it is subject to change, but we will not delay the tournaments too much or this will run on for too long.

To summarize, the basic process is as follows:

1. applications
    2. selection and matching of tutors, students
    3. first one-month period of tutoring
    4. progress check tournament
    5. second one-month period of tutoring
    6. final tournament

The tutoring as well as the tournaments will all take place on Pokémon Online. If you don't have access to it, you can't sign up. Note that you will be teaching/will be taught Generation V OU. The most obvious broken Pokémon have now been banned, so it's a level playing field and a great opportunity to learn how to play Pokémon at the highest level.

Signing Up

We will accept applicants on a first come, first serve basis for the most part. In the case of tutor applicants, we are looking for people who have proven that they have a strong understanding of fundamental competitive battling concepts and know how to translate that to actual battles and winning. In other words, we're looking for regulars, if only because they're the only people we know meet the requirement. If you sign up and are passed over, that just means that we haven't seen enough of you to know if you're qualified. Come on the server and post in the main forum some more and you'll make it next time! As for students, regulars are NOT allowed to apply. That is the only reason we will skip anyone over.

Everyone who wants to sign up should post with the information requested below. You can just copy and paste whichever application applies and then fill them in with the necessary information. We will accept eight tutors and eight students. You may not apply if you're banned on our Shoddy Server. Otherwise it's kind of hard to do this. Again, you must have access to Pokémon Online to sign up in either role.

Tutor

PC Shoddy Server Username:
    Time Zone:
    What aspect of competitive battling are you best at?
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself?

Student

PC Shoddy Server Username:
    Time Zone:
    What do you feel you need to work on the most?
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?

Thanks for reading! We hope to see you participating!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Applying as Student. ^o^
    PC Shoddy Server Username: Valkyrie
    Time Zone: Eastern
    What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building, synergy, leads, prediction..
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I have afternoon classes when Uni starts
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Nothing comes to mind..

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Signing up for tutor.

PC Shoddy Server Username: Vrai, Vraiperior, Iwaperasu
    Time Zone: US Central, which PC says is UTC -6.
    What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? I'd say prediction and making decisions during actual battling.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I've actually got a solid idea on my schedule, now. It may change, but I'm basically open from 5pm-11pm on weekdays, and I can be avaliable whenever on weekends.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Well everyone else has managed to avoid doing this. :(

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Not sure if I'm even qualified to be a tutor, since I haven't really 5th gen battled at all. But, I'm signing up because I will be once the tournament is over (or sooner possibly), and I'm done getting ready for the Invite tour. I still know a lot of 5th gen from being on server, looking at the threat list, etc.

PC Shoddy Server Username: wolf
    Time Zone: GMT -5 / EST
    What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Prediction, basics, and making movesets / EV spreads I guess. I'm ok with team building too.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm online at normal times.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? They wouldn't want to know.

yellowbird

is mother teresa. hugs.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2016

Uhm, for my own good I REALLY ought to sign up as a student.

PC Shoddy Server Username: yellowbird
    Time Zone: GMT -5:00? "American eastern" Whatnot.
    What do you feel you need to work on the most? That whole synergy concept, where everything is supposed to work together as a team, and such.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm free almost all the time, but I can be arbitrarily lazy.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself
    ?
    Hmnn. Guess not, really.

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    PC Shoddy Server Username: Kaori
    What do you feel you need to work on the most? Making movesets, predicting, and the team building process.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Well I'm not on the computer from 8:30 AM to 4 PM on school days (Except Wednesdays, I come home at 3) but I'm pretty active the rest of the time.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I learn quickly? XD;

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • PC Shoddy Server Username: Gleek, or Joe
    Time Zone: Greenwich mean time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London.
    What do you feel you need to work on the most? Synergy mostly & Leads
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Monday - Friday 7:30Am - 4:15Pm I'll be at school D; Other than that I'm pretty free, I'll specify if I'm not n.n
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Um... D; I'm not a complete noob at competitive battling? :o

Last edited:

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
  • Signing up as student

PC Shoddy Server Username: Kain
    What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team building, prediction, synergy
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? It's really hard to come on during the weekdays due to school work/after school activities. I'm free during the afternoon on weekends.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Nothing really xD

Years
  • Applying as a student

PC Pokemon Online Server Username: CS5 or Karpman
    Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
    What do you feel you need to work on the most? Team Building/Moveset compiling, and the fact that I'm really absentminded during battles.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm at school from 7:00-3:00, I usually go on the computer after that, unless I have a lot of homework.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm just a competitive noob willing to learn, I have a lot of trouble focusing and thinking during battles, which is a huge hindrance to me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    PC Shoddy Server Username: Fuyuhiko
    Time Zone: GMT -8:00
    What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Just about everything as I don't know much to say(Team building, moveset, and basically all the stuff that needs to be learned).
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule?: Well, I'm free during the afternoons and late nights. If I'm not on during those times I'm usually filled with a homework load of stuff to do, or am out.
    N/A

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    PC Shoddy Server Username: domo-kun (had a few others can't remember them)
    Time Zone: GMT + 0
    What do you feel you need to work on the most? Building a balanced team/synergy, making the most of each Pokemon, and efficient move sets.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Online pretty whenever i'm not studying/training. Mostly online throughout the evening's and weekends.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? Very competitive, hard worker :)

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • applying for TUTOR

PC Shoddy Server Username: Alan / Gamer / anything that sounds incredibly trollish
    Time Zone: GMT -5 (EST)
    What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Team building I'm pretty good at, and prediction I got down more or less, as long as I'm not against gimmicks.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm in Uni, so my schedule is pretty flexible, if/when I get a pupil, I will relay them my class schedule, I also have to work to not fail any classes this semester, so I will be more focused on school, but I will still have time!
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I am very handsome. I am also friendly, but I'm pretty blunt about what I say, and I do say some insensitive stuff from time to time, but I don't mean any of it.

Detox

Time Zone: UTC -6
    What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? Prediction, Synergy and Team Building
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Im on most days after school from 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM, depending on my class schedule and amount of homework/ football practice.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? No

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • I'll apply as a tutor:

PC Pokemon Online Server Username: Aero; .Aero
    Time Zone: -5:00 EST
    What aspect of competitive battling are you best at? I'd say my strongest point is team building (which includes synergy, so I dunno why people list them separately). If I take the time, I do a pretty good job of covering most or all weaks (covering every weak is pretty difficult though). :x Also, I understand Gen 5 pretty well and prediction is pretty alright.
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? These are all "usually"'s because they're subject to change: I have basketball practice from 9-11 on Tuesday nights, I have lacrosse at random times on Thursdays, and I'll have random basketball games here and there. Also, not sure how much time I'll have currently with semester finals coming up and all. :x I'll probably always be sitting on PO however so this shouldn't be a problem.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I obviously wasn't much of a star at Platinum, but this time I think I'm much, much better. I reached 32 on the smogon server once with my best team and then just stopped because I was laddering forever. @_@ Anyway, I just get Gen 5 much better than I did Gen 4. Plus Gen 4 was never really any fun when Platinum arrived and because this new metagame is more fun, chances are I'll stay interested.

Yeah...you might want to change the form for applying to PC PO Name, not Shoddy.

Last edited:

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
    Years
  • Signing up as a student!
    PC Shoddy Server Username: I'm not on that server, but I'm on TeamUber and Gary Oak Battle Frontier.
    Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
    What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Everything!
    Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)?: From the 5th onwards, I have school from 8:50am till 3:10pm(although I don't get home until about 3:30 or so) every Monday to Friday.
    Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself?: N/A

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • Applying as a student ^_^

PC Shoddy Server Username: Donnerz, Doonarz

Time Zone: GMT

What do you feel you need to work on the most?: Team building and learning how to counter potential sweepers, baton pass and rain dance teams <3

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? Ummm, Im not free until Monday (as I am staying at my aunts) but I am free from Monday to the 6th of Jan (Thursday) from then on in I have school, so I will be on from 6-9pm <3

Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I'm terrible at making teams, so I can't point out obvious holes in the team, so covering that would be greatly appreiciated <3

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Tutor

PC Shoddy Server Username: Aura

Time Zone: GMT -5

Synergy/team-building, concentrating on specific strategies.

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule (like when you work, for example)? I'm pretty busy at school but I should have plenty of time to help out.

Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I have a secret crush on Luke.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Student

PC Shoddy Server Username: Chaos11011

Time Zone: Brasília official time (UTC-03)

What do you feel you need to work on the most? Dealing with threats, Synergy, Prediction,& Scouting

Is there anything we need to know about your schedule ? I might be unable to be on throughout this week because I am away from my PO Computer, unless I Download it on my Laptop. And my school starts Feburary so I wont be able to go online during 12:40pm - 5:00pm when it starts.

Is there anything else you'd like to include about yourself? I have been playing since the Platinum days but I have been an on-and-off battler (played for a week, retire for a month) and I know how to battle competitively but I want to futher my knowledge.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • I'm going to be tutoring. Not filling out one of those forms because I'm the senior staff member of this forum and I don't have to. I'll take on an individual student if needed but I'm going to focus on "classes" of sorts to teach general concepts and ideas found in competitive Pokemon.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • Applying as tutor even though this is late i guess lol

Tutor

PC Shoddy Server Username: [501st] Skippy
    Time Zone: UTC -8

My strength is my ability to modify my team based around the current needs of the ever-changing Gen 5 Wifi metagame. I have already built more teams in the past two months than the past two years and they have all been mainly successes through gradual building. I'm confident that through those results I can help a student get on track with a team within two months, and help them to continually adapt as well.

I have school still, so my open time is going to be mainly Saturday or late evenings in my time zone. Sunday I do have work so I'm generally not available till about 8 pmish then.

I like trying out some of the not-so-pronounced/overused threats like stuff not named Doryuzuu, so if you're looking for a tutor that doesnt want to rely on that I can appeal to that part of your preference.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back