• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
I didn't think anyone would use Meganium as a physical attacker, so I left out Play Rough, and added Moonblast due to its association with light.

What do you think of Fire/Steel Magmortar? Hopefully the added resistances, and loss of Rock weakness, more than make up for the 4x Ground weakness.

Physical Meganium
Swords dance
Seed bomb
Play rough
earthquake

but you shoehorned calm mind so whatever...

fire/steel is ok...not very keen on all these x4 weaknesses introduced though. too many on weak mons and probably just stick to vanilla patches..

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hm, right, Meganium gets Swords Dance via TM. Will see about fitting Play Rough into its moveset.

About Magmortar: thanks, noted. I don't want to stray too far from vanilla Crystal and the Pokémon canon, but also don't want this to just be Crystal-251-with-Gen-VI-mechanics. Some changes like Fire/Ghost Ninetales I just had to include, but I know they're controversial, and the Faithful patch avoids those changes.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Dec 2, 2019
This is without a doubt, the BEST hack I ever played. It has exactly I really wanted. A chance to play Gen 2 with future gen mechanics and pokemon. It works great, never seen a bad bug and Its something I will be showing to to friends cause I know they will love this. But I still wanna suggest some things that I would like to still see

1. Please bring back Wobbuffet. He is still consider a fan favorite and he is a very unique pokemon really. I suggest replacing Giraffarage or how the hell you spell it lol. I feel its just there and its doesnt really serve much of a purpose. Wobby would make more sense to keep since hes iconic with the Johto brand. You can put him in the game center like he was in regular crystal. Plus he can be one of Sabrinas pokemon.

2. Dont replace Aipom and Add Ambipom. I just like Ambipom a lot lol.

3. Add Electivire, Magmotar and Rhyperior of course

4. Kinda of a reach and you probably wont do it but figures I asked, Replace the hoppit line with....Flabebe line? Now here me out. It would show how serious this hack is incorperating fairy types, they clearly better pokemon then the hoppit and its cooler looking anyway.

Hope my suggestions come thru. Again I love this hack. But I hope you consider bringing back Wobbuffet :). Thank you again for thisi great game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Unfortunately there's only room for 253 Pokémon, and I've already had to remove some that I liked. So if I add Electivire, Magmortar, Rhyperior, Wobbuffet, and Ambipom, five Pokémon have to go, and Aipom couldn't be one of them. Whereas if I'm not including Ambipom anyway, removing Aipom isn't so much of a loss. Also, I like Girafarig, it's a Normal/Psychic palindromic giraffe that, like Wobbuffet, has a head for a tail. :P

I could bring back Wobbuffet instead of Shuckle though. I think of them both as kind of gimmicky, Wobbuffet has one moveset and Shuckle is just for Toxic stalling.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Dec 2, 2019
I can understand no Aipom/Ambipom. Might I suggest tho replacing Sentret/Furret with Wobbuffet/Something else. This game already has a billion rattatas and I never see a sentret ever. Plus Sentret/Furret without a doubt the most bland super common normal pokemon of all time. lol

Geohexamon

Endless Dreamer
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2021
So, I was trying out your hack with the Universal Randomizer and unsurprisingly I found that it didn't exactly work.

That begs a question however. Why isn't the game read as a Pokemon game in the eyes of the Randomizer, and moreover, if it were able to be read, would it break the game, or would it just skip over the new things and only take into account the things already in the Vanilla Pokemon Crystal.

I was curious on your thoughts on the matter.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
The Universal Randomizer and standard GameShark codes are broken for the same reason. Data is no longer in the exact same locations in memory. Some hex-edited ROM hacks just edit data in tables (like changing Pokémon stats) without changing their location, so tools like the Randomizer and AdvanceMap still work. But if anything gets repointed, they stop working. Editing the assembly source code and recompiling it tends to slightly repoint a lot of things as a side-effect of adding new code.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Dec 2, 2019
Seriously your hack has made me stop playing Pokemon Go. I really love how this is the hack I was searching forever for. At this point like I said in an earlier post, the only thing I really feel this game is missing is Wobbufett. And after going thru the Route 47. He should have had a cameo if you get me xD. Anyway I hope you consider adding him in the future. Again my suggestion is replacing Sentret/Furret with Wynaunt/Wobbufett. Anyway continue updating the game and I look forward to them. Oh btw in the Yellow forrest, the headbutting tree animations has some glitchy animations. Nothing bad nor effects the game but just wanted to let you know. Also maybe add some pokemon in those trees, thanks xD

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Seriously your hack has made me stop playing Pokemon Go.

Wow, I'm flattered. :D

And after going thru the Route 47. He should have had a cameo if you get me xD.

Hey, you're right. Guess I'll add back Wobbuffet instead of Shuckle. (I'm not getting rid of Sentret and Furret, they add variety to the early routes, and I want to keep most native Johto Pokémon.)

Hadn't tried Headbutt in Yellow Forest before. Now there are Pokémon available there, and I'll also fix the animation for the next release. Thanks for noticing it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Pokemon GO is the worse thing to happen to the fandom. Now, you got people who've never played a Pokemon game in their lives thinking they know what to do when they don't. Another thing I wish is that the news and hell even TMZ, stop talking about it. I mean is it so hard to stay in one's lane? For a while I stopped watching both because of the coverage.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2022
Result for me of upgrading from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2 was broken sprites and I found a grimer while surfing lol, reverting back worked fine.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Result for me of upgrading from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2 was broken sprites and I found a grimer while surfing lol, reverting back worked fine.

Wild Grimer while Surfing in Celadon City is expected behavior. It was in vanilla Crystal too, it's because of pollution. Broken sprites, though, are a problem. Which ones were broken, and on which map? Does the problem go away if you enter a building and exit again?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
without shadow tag wobbuffet isn't as nasty and annoying as in gen3+ though...i rather you add shuckle so you can put it in bugsy gym for added difficulty :p

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I think Bugsy's difficult enough already, given that his Metapod and Kakuna have evolved into buffed Bug types (and Butterfree has STAB Confusion).

By the way, in 1.1.2 I raised the Kimono Girls to level 20 so they would have the move learned at that level, like Aurora Beam for Vaporeon, etc. This isn't too challenging, right? Whitney's Miltank is level 20, after all, and you fight them one at a time.

(My difficulty gauge is "Are they killing multiple Pokémon in my Nuzlocke run?" and for some the answer was yes, but I tend not to spend money on Potions.)

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
they are fine, its not like you fight them in a row without pause.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
A preview of what will be in the next version:

ZbjIXIv.png

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
As a result of updating from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2...Bill disappeared and Eevee is unobtainable...since i had already talked to him in Ecruteak in 1.1.0 he left the pokecenter...but without giving me an eevee since that was edited in 1.1.1..and he is not in his home in Goldenrod either....

So am I stuck without any Eevee for the rest of the game?

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Dec 2, 2019
These gym Battles have been intense. Definitely much more fun. Fought Pryce and that was fun but something felt odd about his 6 pokemon. May I suggest replacing seel and shelder with piloswine and glaceon, respectfully. Makes it more challenging and truly gives it an ice team feel

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
As a result of updating from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2...Bill disappeared and Eevee is unobtainable...since i had already talked to him in Ecruteak in 1.1.0 he left the pokecenter...but without giving me an eevee since that was edited in 1.1.1..and he is not in his home in Goldenrod either....

So am I stuck without any Eevee for the rest of the game?

I'm afraid so. If you backed up your save file, you could downgrade to 1.1.0, get the Eevee in Goldenrod, and switch back to 1.1.2 (where Bill's grandpa is now in Goldenrod and Bill is in Cerulean). Come to think of it, I should add wild Eevee somewhere post-game.

May I suggest replacing seel and shelder with piloswine and glaceon, respectfully. Makes it more challenging and truly gives it an ice team feel.

What levels were your Pokémon at, how many of them fainted, and did you have to use a lot of Potions or X items?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 2, 2021
this is really wonderfully done. as it unfolds i got more and more impressed - physical special split, running shoes, then a wonder trading system! everything feels natural and in place, yet refreshing. you've done an excellent job here, code-wise and design-wise

Back