• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    More feature previews.

uziWlaO.png

Literally no one is interested in printing out Unown. I'm replacing this event with one that will hopefully be a good incentive to catch all 26. No spoilers, but it will involve a new location.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I'm all for Electric/Fighting Electivire, but why Fire/Steel Magmortar? I think Fire/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, or even Fire/Water would make more sense for it.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Same reason as Blastoise: it has a cannon, learns Flash Cannon, and there aren't enough Steel types. I know it adds a 4x Ground weakness, but if you want a pure Fire type there's still Rapidash, Arcanine, Flareon, Entei, or simply Magmar (with a 495 BST).

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Same reason as Blastoise: it has a cannon, learns Flash Cannon, and there aren't enough Steel types. I know it adds a 4x Ground weakness, but if you want a pure Fire type there's still Rapidash, Arcanine, Flareon, Entei, or simply Magmar (with a 495 BST).
    I didn't say I wanted a pure Fire type Magmortar. I meant that I don't think Fire/Steel makes sense on it. With Blastoise, a Steel type makes sense, as it has a hard and sturdy shell. But Magmortar's body isn't sturdy enough for a Steel type.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    is there anyway that we could use this with "A-save". or atleast get a lucky egg somewhere? :)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    You do get a Lucky Egg somewhere between Mahogany Town and the Elite 4. And they may be held by wild Chansey, but that's in the Kanto Safari Zone.

Tools like A-Save, as well as Gameshark codes, depend on exact memory addresses that no longer match with data locations in Polished Crystal.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Im Loving this rom so far the best one!

Could you make a version without new pokemons??? i want a version like the old one, without glaceon etc... but with new mechanics etc..!

Thanks a lot!

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    Whens the next update??? I'm not even progressing the story cause I want the new update. Just been training xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    The new mechanics but without natures/abilities/510 EV limit is everything I wanted. Pokemon is so much more enjoyable if you don't have to worry about the right nature and ability when catching something

The stat/type changes are great too.

Incredible hack, thanks!

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • There's an error text after winning against the Olivine Gym Leader where her message overflows out of the message box.
    Some random nitpicks that I have with the game now that I've progressed a bit:
    Silver's team for me is kinda weak. Just one shotted all of them.
    The lack of the ability to buy the elemental stones limits the fun of experimenting with different types of mon. (I know you can get one of each in Goldenrod)
    I liked that you are adding more content in Crystal and overall I enjoy what im playing so far. I hope you continue to update the game and add more post-postgame content like a more challenging battle tower.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    Hey!

Did you change the way certain Gen 2 Pokemon evolve into their gen 4 evolutions?

I just started, got 3 badges down, and a Magby and Elekid in tow, and was asking regarding Magmortar and Electevire. (Though, are they implemented yet, or is that yet to come in 1.3?)

Cheers.

Edit: Also, suggestion that just popped into my mind.

With the addition of Later gen mechanics and moves (more Ice types, more Ice and Dragon moves, plus several Fairy moves and types.) Would you make Gyarados Dragon type, like it should've been from the beginning?

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you're all liking the game. :)

Whens the next update???

1.2.0 might be out in a month or so, maybe less time if I decide "enough is enough". You can see what will be new in it so far here. Keep in mind that old saves won't work.

There's an error text after winning against the Olivine Gym Leader where her message overflows out of the message box.

Thanks, that's fixed now.

Silver's team for me is kinda weak. Just one shotted all of them.

Hm, he progresses at the same rate as the Gym Leaders and other boss trainers. Anyway, I adjusted his levels along with the rest of the battles after Chuck to try and make a more balanced level curve. Can you tell me what levels your own team was at different points in the game?

The lack of the ability to buy the elemental stones limits the fun of experimenting with different types of mon. (I know you can get one of each in Goldenrod)

You can also get them from phone calls like in vanilla Crystal if you really need to. I see it as a choice you have to make early on—do I want Vileplume or Victreebel?, Poliwrath or Vaporeon or Starmie?—and once you reach Celadon City you can buy them all.

regarding Magmortar and Electevire

They'll be in 1.2.0. :) However, the Magmarizer will be on Cinnabar Island (like in HG/SS) and the Electirizer in Rock Tunnel (actually sooner than in HG/SS, where it's in Cerulean Cave). Magmar and Electabuzz are already powerful, so their evolutions are like a post-game bonus. And if you need more than one, wild Magmar and Electabuzz may hold those items.

Would you make Gyarados Dragon type, like it should've been from the beginning?

I don't think so. That would give you a powerful Dragon type too early in the game.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So this next patch will be the final update or what? If so, I'll try it out because Prism's still a long way off and Freako's working on his sequel with Bronze 2 and that's not coming in the near term. This hack's awesome from what I've heard thus far. When all's said and done, that's 3 Crystal based hacks right there!

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    I've seen a few rather minor bugs, and I'll compile a list of said bugs sometime in the near future, if that would be helpful.

But, currently, I wanna point out that Kanto freaking blows. I'm 15 badges deep, all the trainers have Pokemon in the 40's, and the leaders have Pokemon in the 60's. While all the wild ones are in the 40's, as well. All in all, that's a lot of inefficient grinding that we've gotta do, the Elite four's got Pokemon in the 70's in the second run, so you can't even farm them if your dudes are in the 50's.

I almost got wiped by Sabrina, and Misty. I do realize that these type of games are not meant for Nuzlocking, but man. Slapping level 70's out of nowhere is cruel and unusual, and would be totally acceptable - if there were reasonable places to grind.

I see really two ways to solve this.

Make the E4 easier, like, high 50's to mid 60's, early 70's at highest. So you could take them on with level 55+ Pokemon.

Or find some way to add functionality like the VS. Seeker to the game. Would that be doable at all?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    So this next patch will be the final update or what?

Not the final one, just a major one. New Pokémon, new characters, and a new move. If I take the time to add enough features it'll be called 2.0.0, otherwise 1.2.0. Either way I'll keep maintaining the project, fixing bugs, adding things here and there.

Kanto freaking blows.

The wild Pokémon and trainers definitely need adjusting. I have the Gym Leaders and Elites on a smooth curve, but I guess you're not getting enough experience to keep up with them. I do want this to be a Nuzlock-capable run, assuming you have good tactics and spend money on Potions and X items.

In the original GSC Red was a huge jump up from the previous highest trainer, so you'd have to grind before that final challenge. My intention is the same here—your Pokémon should be roughly on par with the Gym Leaders, so you'll be nearly at level 70 when you beat Blue, which puts you on par with rematch Will, but you'll need 5–10 more levels to beat rematch Lance at level 80, and another 5–10 for Red.

I could change the Elite 4 so they only switch to their rematch teams after you get 16 badges. Does that sound like a good idea?

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    Yeah, the 16 Badge rule sounds like an excellent idea.

If at all possible, would it be possible for you to put in an NPC at the League - similarly to the guy with the Abra in the first run you do, and if you talk to him with 16 badges, it activates the "Pre Red" E4, so you could keep grinding without paying attention to not taking on Blue, as I feel like that would be quite the hassle for a lot of people to pay attention to.

That being said, I think Johto was a little too easy. Especially the first four gyms, as I managed to beat them while boxing my starter and using Elekid and Magby, whom are both baby Pokemon.

Also, I have a few suggestions regarding moves that should be replaced.

Wrap, Leech Life, Poison Sting and Mud-Slap, in particular. Has anyone ever used those moves, rather than just wishing they'd get rid of them?

Also, making the TM's from the first 3 gyms something a little more excited and HG/SS-esque might be a good idea. Falkner gives say, Wing Attack, and Bugsy gives Bug Buzz, and Whitney gives Stomp?

Back