• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    There need to be some low-power moves for the early game. I find Mud-Slap useful as a damaging Sand-Attack, especially on a Ground-type like Geodude or Dunsparce. And if the Johto gyms are already easy, you don't need a 90 power TM after the second one.

Magby and Elekid are baby Pokémon, but their BSTs are between a starter's first and second forms. What levels were your Pokémon on when you fought the first four gyms? Mine were generally one level below the leader's ace, and Bugsy could 2HKO most of my Pokémon.

And yes, the next update will break old saves.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    i think the creator alone should decide how they want difficulty to be. players' feedback sometimes can't be taken seriously when they might have abuse savestates/excessive grinding with speedup etc.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    True, but I still want to hear peoples' experiences with it. There's a whole range of tolerance for grinding, willingness to swap out team members, reliance on items, etc, and my own play style isn't enough for testing (for instance, I almost never use items, but don't mind grinding to make my team all the exact same level). And I haven't explicitly adjusted everything in Kanto after raising the Gym Leaders, so I'm not surprised that they're unbalanced.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    There need to be some low-power moves for the early game. I find Mud-Slap useful as a damaging Sand-Attack, especially on a Ground-type like Geodude or Dunsparce. And if the Johto gyms are already easy, you don't need a 90 power TM after the second one.

Magby and Elekid are baby Pokémon, but their BSTs are between a starter's first and second forms. What levels were your Pokémon on when you fought the first four gyms? Mine were generally one level below the leader's ace, and Bugsy could 2HKO most of my Pokémon.

And yes, the next update will break old saves.

I suppose so. But again, they seem like tedious moves, that you're never gonna use. I'd rather Zubat had tackle or astonish, till it got supersonic. (That being said, Supersonic and Confuse Ray are pretty redundant, since you're sort of hard-pressed for moves) Same as keeping bubble or flame spin in the game. Water Gun and Bubble have what, a 10 power difference?

I just feel like there's more interesting moves that could take the slot in the memory.

Also, I was a bit overleveled after the third gym, but Bugsy and Whitney both got ruined by my Sandshrew / Slash (Who, by the way, did you buff the stats off? My slash's stats seemed waaay too freaking high. His movepool was also crazy good.)

I didn't grind anything till I was past ecruteak, and I defeated Morty with my highest Pokemon being Magby, at 27.

I think adjusting a couple of trainers levels, just giving them a couple more levels would make the game more difficult, but not putting up a grind wall - like in Kanto. I beat the league with one dude above level 50, and then proceeded to almost get bodied by the first gym in Kanto.

But in conclusion, my thoughts on the game so far (being about to face Blue) are mostly positive, Kanto needs fine tuning, like I mentioned. Perhaps increasing the average trainer level, and the gym trainer level might do the trick, as well as some "Kanto"-Leveled E4, that then changes to a "Pre-Red" Elite 4. I couldn't find the lucky egg, so I'm not sure if that alters the game completely, but it might.

Johto didn't seem all that difficult, or different in general. I feel like the majority of encounters I found were just vanilla Crystal ones. I'd like it if you could look over the TM's and Levelup movesets to have more longevity post level 20, especially since almost half of the game will take place level 60+. Also, I am not entirely sure what the point of everyone wanting a silver leaf to teach a Pokemon a move is, making it a tutor move makes sense, since then you can't just put it on every Pokemon you got, like other TM's. But the Silver Leaf trade-off just seems annoying and makes you rely on the thief-ability, which you won't get till Mahogany (It is Thief you get in Rocket Hideout, right?)

And the HM's could probably be readjusted. Making Strength a Rock Type move, perhaps, Flash a low-level (20 - 30 power) electric move, and buffing whirlpool by like, 10 power. I really do love the changes to cut and Rocksmash. Especially Rock Smash. That move saved my locke so many times.

Again, all in all, fantastic hack, I really like it, and I can't wait for the next update, but I figured I should toss in my two-cents on the game.

P.S Documentation about new spawn points and evolution-ways could be real neato.
    Also, Leafeon's backsprite looks stupid. :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022
    Hey man, first of all amazing job, your hack seems awesome!
    Second..I would love to play it but I read that with the next version saves will not be compatible with previous version saves..Give me an advice..Start with this version or wait for the update.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    Hey man, first of all amazing job, your hack seems awesome!
    Second..I would love to play it but I read that with the next version saves will not be compatible with previous version saves..Give me an advice..Start with this version or wait for the update.

I mean, even this build, even if saves won't be compatible is well worth your time. It took me about 5 hours to beat the E4, and another 3 to get to Blue in Kanto.

Of course, I emulate the game a lot faster than probably most, playing with speedup for like, 90% of the time with 1000% speed. So, I would personally suggest you give it a whirl now, and then come back when the next path drops.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2022
    I mean, even this build, even if saves won't be compatible is well worth your time. It took me about 5 hours to beat the E4, and another 3 to get to Blue in Kanto.

Of course, I emulate the game a lot faster than probably most, playing with speedup for like, 90% of the time with 1000% speed. So, I would personally suggest you give it a whirl now, and then come back when the next path drops.

thanks for the advice!A curiosity: how to evolve sneasel?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'd rather Zubat had tackle or astonish, till it got supersonic.

Eh, I did add Astonish. And it just wouldn't be Pokémon without caves full of Zubat that know Leech Life and Confuse Ray. :P

Also, I was a bit overleveled after the third gym, but Bugsy and Whitney both got ruined by my Sandshrew / Slash (Who, by the way, did you buff the stats off? My slash's stats seemed waaay too freaking high. His movepool was also crazy good.)

No buffs, Sandshrew is just that good. One of my favorite Pokémon in Blue version.

I didn't grind anything till I was past ecruteak, and I defeated Morty with my highest Pokemon being Magby, at 27.

How many Pokémon were you using? I ask because my starter is usually level 10 when I get to Violet City, and then I catch a few low-leveled Pokémon and grind them to even things out. Once I get a team of six I mostly rely on trainers and random encounters. Using this style, the boss fights are generally challenging but doable.

There will be some new trainers added in both Johto and Kanto, and I'm going to raise the Kanto trainers to be closer to the Gym Leaders.

Also, I am not entirely sure what the point of everyone wanting a silver leaf to teach a Pokemon a move is,

Silver and Gold Leaves already existed in GSC, so I decided to use them instead of Shards. You can also spend ¥200 on a Poké Ball and catch the Oddish. I will think about moving Thief to an earlier map.

And the HM's could probably be readjusted.

True. Flash as an Electric move would make Falkner too easy, but buffing Whirlpool is a good idea (I'd do the same for Fire Spin and Wrap). I was planning to replace Rock Smash with Brick Break, but decided to keep the old name and use the new power+effect (although I haven't implemented Screen breaking yet).

There will be actual documentation, eventually.

how to evolve sneasel?

It has to hold a Razor Claw and gain a level. Same goes for Gliscor and the Razor Fang.

I cant find the lucky egg either

One of Prof. Oak's aides gives it to you.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    Re: Falkner being too easy if Flash is 20 or 30 power electric move:

It really wouldn't. You have what, Bellsprouts that could learn the move that early in the game. They are still at a serious disadvantage against Falkner's team, due to type disadvantage and generally weaker stats. Now, Flash may very well break a Pokemon for you early on, if you do decide to explore Dark Cave. Not that I have any clue why you would explore Dark Cave from that way, and I don't think there's anything else that needs getting flashed.

And if you wanted to steamroll Falkner, you'd just have a level 10 Geodude, whom he can do next to nothing against. (That being said, against that strategy, Falkner having Mud-Slap makes sense, as much as I despise the move. You thought about removing Sand Attack and replacing it with Mud-Slap, if you need the extra moveslot?)

On a unrelated note

A Pichu I got in the Global Trade Terminal held the GS ball. Is there anyway to encounter Celebi?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    there is a easy way to get the thief move before getting 4th badge lol..do some research

wanted to play this hack again but seeing that nex t update is coming soon which is not compatible with previous saves...will wait

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    You thought about removing Sand Attack and replacing it with Mud-Slap, if you need the extra moveslot?

Hm, maybe later, but not in 1.2.0. All the moves I really need are already in it, and I'd rather not spend even more time prioritizing moves and deciding which ones to add and remove.

(Although while we're on the subject, which signature move is best for Cloyster: Razor Shell, Icicle Spear, or Icicle Crash?)

The Razor Claw is in Quiet Cave, Razor Fang is in Victory Road.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Oh yeah, I lowered the other aides from 20 to 15 and from 50 to 30, but forgot to lower that one from 75 to 50. It'll be in the next release.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    sorry i keep posting but im LOVING this game, is there anyway we could manually add items into it ?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    i prefer icicle crash AND you increase its distribution so that mons like sneasel can get it (thru TM or otherwise)

Back