• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your most disliked aspect of ROM hacking?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2021
    Personally I prefer when Pokémon remain kannon I love map changing and adding in all the different kinds the company has created and mega evolves and the like

Years
  • Scripting

I've always struggled with learning other languages, despite near straight As in other classes that came with a lack of paying attention and studying. Spanish, Sign Language, Coding - it took 10x the effort to pull Cs in those classes as it took to get above 100% in physics back in high school.

If there were functional tools for every aspect of gen 3 rom hacking, id have 4 hacks out by now (been in the scene since like 2010). Instead I have 1 half of a game that gets reiterated on each time i take a 4 month break xD

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2022
    Tile editing and custom tile insertion. custom tile addition is so tedious(though thankfully graphicsgale mitigates some of this troublesome aspect) before you could use em to make custom maps in the hack(especially tilesets that aren't customized for GBA). Custom images addition through ASM(ex. Custom menu and HUDs in Overworld screen) is also very tedious since it's an out of bounds aspect of basic Romhacking and the process is hell(even if it's a simple addition to normal player's eyes)

Last edited:
    Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Being almost the only person who hacks a given rom base.

Making maps.

The frustration of not being able to find a piece of code you must know is in the game.

The extreme 'breathe on it and it breaks' glitchiness at the drop of a hat of Gen I.

Firered disassembly not working on older versions of windows.

Years
  • AdvanceText.

It hasn't worked for me since that old Windows XP computer I had as a kid. Does a copy of it that works on windows 8 even exist any more?

I also hate dealing with the GBA's limitations and random file corruption that comes out of nowhere for no reason.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    AdvanceText.

It hasn't worked for me since that old Windows XP computer I had as a kid. Does a copy of it that works on windows 8 even exist any more?

I also hate dealing with the GBA's limitations and random file corruption that comes out of nowhere for no reason.

i agree, for some reason AdvanceText just NEVER works for me. I dont know, maybe i am doing something wrong trying to run it.

Back