• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack's Recommendations

Comet7

Star of the show
Years
  • Are there any hacks that just make the original games harder? Whenever I search for difficulty hacks, I always find a bunch of hacks that try to offer every pokemon possible in the game, add new stuff, etc. I just want to play a tougher version of the regular games.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • Are there any hacks that just make the original games harder? Whenever I search for difficulty hacks, I always find a bunch of hacks that try to offer every pokemon possible in the game, add new stuff, etc. I just want to play a tougher version of the regular games.

Sure there are. It depends on which generation/game you're interested in. What are you looking to play?

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
    Years
  • I'm looking for a somewhat complete hack that is both story filled, and innovative. Something filled with challenge and entertainment.

Years
  • I guess the best way to learn a rom hack is to play one, right? So here's what I am looking for (not everything but a combination of most things):

-No fakemon (is a must for now)
    -Story is kinda like the official Pokemon games, or somewhat basic
    -Completed or making pretty good progress and near completed
    -Updated mechanics similar to today's
    -A good amount of game to play, like maybe 3+ hours or more (idk on average I beat main stories in about 20 hours in official games)
    -I want GBA or even older hacks, but if a DS hack better meets my wants than that's ok

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2015
    I guess the best way to learn a rom hack is to play one, right? So here's what I am looking for (not everything but a combination of most things):

-A good amount of game to play, like maybe 3+ hours or more (idk on average I beat main stories in about 20 hours in official games)
    -I want GBA or even older hacks, but if a DS hack better meets my wants than that's ok

Pokemon Light Platinum meets nearly all of those bullet points, except I'm not sure if it's been fully updated to today's mechanics. But there's no fakemon as far as I remember, the story is a little kooky but pretty similar to the main series games. It's fully completed and has a load of content and a couple regions. & It's a GBA hack ^^

Years
  • Pokemon Light Platinum meets nearly all of those bullet points, except I'm not sure if it's been fully updated to today's mechanics. But there's no fakemon as far as I remember, the story is a little kooky but pretty similar to the main series games. It's fully completed and has a load of content and a couple regions. & It's a GBA hack ^^

Ok I'll look into it! Thanks for the recommendation.

Years
  • Hey, what's up
    I'm looking for some fun ROM hacks in which you can battle and trade with friends (on Android, using MyBoy's remote link).
    In most hacks I've tried, the Pokémon centers didn't have any second floors so you couldn't trade or battle in them.

The hacks I've tried that did support multiplayer are:
    - Dark Rising
    - Snakewood
    - Flora Sky

I know that in Liquid Crystal you're supposed to be able to battle and trade in Goldenrod City but the feature doesn't seem to be working correctly.
    (Then there was also an other hack in which the Pokémon center did have a second floor and multiplayer seemed to work at first, until you entered the room, then all you got was a black screen. I forgot which one it was but I'll look it up later.)

To have some serious fun in trade and battle with 650 pokemon .... try POKEMON THETA VERSION ITS AWESOME!!!
    Or other like emerald omega is also good for (having good tm sets)
    Or Pokemon kanto black for battling in B/W style(also have other unique features but only 151 pokemon available)

Hopes this help a lot...

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I'm looking for a somewhat complete hack that is both story filled, and innovative. Something filled with challenge and entertainment.

Well, you could look at Pokemon Ruby Destiny Life of Guardians. It's very fun, complete, challenging, and entertaining.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • I guess the best way to learn a rom hack is to play one, right? So here's what I am looking for (not everything but a combination of most things):

Check out:

Pokémon Rocket Strike
    Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Both of those games follow the basic storyline. In Rocket Strike, you play as a member of Team Rocket. In Yet Another Fire Red Hack, it's the exact same thing as Fire Red (151 Pokémon), but includes Pokémon from Gens 1-5 (and updated movesets & TMs) instead of the original Kanto Pokémon. Both games have the physical/special split.

If you're looking for older-than-GBA rom hacks that meet all those qualifications, Mateo is going to be releasing Red++ very soon. It's a hack of Pokémon Red that includes Fairy, Dark, and Steel type Pokémon & moves and has the physical/special split. He's also expanded the PokéDex and added a variety of Pokémon from later games to it. Think of it like a 2015 update of Pokémon Red. If you just search for Red++ you'll find it. It should be released very soon.

For Game Boy Color games already released, I would recommend Pokémon Christmas (also by Mateo) and Pokémon Bronze. Both hacks of Pokémon Gold. Both have their own storylines and unique features and feel exactly like a game Nintendo would've released on the GBC.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2016
    Hi. I want to recommend the Pokémon hack called snakewood. I apologize if someone already recommended it. I would also like some help to download it. It looks fun through youtube but I am having no luck finding out how to get it. I would be grateful if someone could help me figure it out please? If you can, thanks.
    ~Aum0001

Years
  • Hi. I want to recommend the Pokémon hack called snakewood. I apologize if someone already recommended it. I would also like some help to download it. It looks fun through youtube but I am having no luck finding out how to get it. I would be grateful if someone could help me figure it out please? If you can, thanks.
    ~Aum0001

Download link of Snakewood
    If you don't know how to patch: Link

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    Hey guys, can you help me out?
    I'm looking for a completed GBA rom hack with fakemon or gen 6 pokemon.

Thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2015
    Can anyone help me with this?

I'm looking for a FireRed hack with nothing else changed but being able to catch all 386 (Gen 3) Pokemon. Changes with difficulty is okay too, but it's low priority.

Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2015
    But I'm also looking for a FireRed hack with nothing else changed but being able to catch all 386 (Gen 3) pokemon, not just increased difficulty (low priority). I already checked the sideshow showcase and it didn't have anything I was looking for.

Thanks for replying to my post.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Can anyone help me with this?

I'm looking for a FireRed hack with nothing else changed but being able to catch all 386 (Gen 3) Pokemon. Changes with difficulty is okay too, but it's low priority.

Thanks.

Check the Slideshow Showcase, there's at least one, definitely more, and they're pretty easy to find.

Back