• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond Dust

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
As most of you will be aware, at certain points instead of snow falling in an area, "Diamond Dust", a sparkling alternative to snow will fall. Bulbapedia lists the following dates as confirmed:

January 12 (DPPt)
February 27 (Pt)
February 29 (DPPtHgSs)
March 15 (DPPtHgSs)
March 31 (DPPt)
April 22 (DPPt)
May 1 (DP)
September 2 (DPPt)
September 20 (DPPt)
October 10 (HgSs)
October 30 (DPPt)
December 31 (HgSs)

However, I just checked a tv in my Platinum save and the weather report stated that Diamond Dust was falling in Snowpoint City, today's date being April 30th. As I have only 3 badges I cannot check, but would assume the tv would not make an error.

So I was wondering, has anyone else encountered Diamond Dust on a date other than those listed above? If so, can you speculate a reason why? (All the above dates have significance, either to countries for which the games are localised, or for the Pokémon franchise, such as Junichi Masuda's birthday). Can anyone think of a reason for April 30th being a day on which the effect would occur?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
What date does your DS have set as your birthday? That's the only other date that I know for sure Diamond Dust appears is the players birthday.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
What date does your DS have set as your birthday? That's the only other date that I know for sure Diamond Dust appears is the players birthday.

My actual birthday, which is in December. That was the first thing I checked in case it had got mixed up somehow. That's what confused me so much.

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I ran a quick Google search and it turns out you aren't the only who has had this happen on this date. The first result was a video and they just happened to be as confused as you were since they also did some research. I don't think there is an answer as to why it happens.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Huh. I checked wikipedia for the date - one of the most notable events is the Louisiana Purchase, but it would seem odd if that were the reason for diamond dust occurring.

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Yeah... I don't see that being that significant in the Pokémon world. I'm trying to think if there are any significant things relating to Pokémon that could be the cause, but I can't think of any.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Ooh, might have found it!

30 April 1492 - Spain gives Cristoforo Colombo (Chris Columbus) his commission of exploration.

Would be a slightly different way for them to call back to one of the biggest ****-ups in all of history, when he thought he'd found a new route to Asia. Then proceeded to initiate genocide :(

Or if you're of a more Pizzagate bent, you might think its a secret Communist conspiracy wherein GameFreak were paying tribute to the Fall of Saigon :P

Years
I'm pretty sure there was specific reasons for diamond dust falling on each day, the only two that come to mind are the player's birthday and a couple of the developer's birthdays, I can't remember the rest.

Back