• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports Where do you think the 2024 Summer Olympics will be held?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    So, today Budapest announced that they were dropping out of the race for the 2024 Summer Olympics, leaving just Los Angeles and Paris. Los Angeles has the better bid from a white elephant standpoint (mostly everything is built or being built), but the current political climate may be limiting. The same about politics could be said for Paris.

The vote will be held by the IOC in September. Who wins?

Personally, I think it will still be LA, with Paris getting awarded 2028 at the same time.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    The 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles were the only instance in modern times to not become a financial loss on the host city/country, so that no doubt puts Los Angeles quite far in the IOC's favour. Not that the IOC has ever really been fussed with the detrimental effects the Olympics bring to a country anyway.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think Paris will have a chance if they keep their bid up (the IOC will, like FIFA, suck as much money out of the event as possible - that's part of the reason everyone makes a loss), it all depends on the political climate in France really - it can be a "they didn't get us down, look how great we are!" moment, or it could also be that they just decide its not financially worth it, especially with all the extra security (also if Le Pen and her cronies have any sort of influence, I can't imagine they'd be keen on all the foreign non-white competitors an olympics has).

I do think though that gradually we are going to see an increase in repeat visits on a shorter timescale than the 3 London games being 50 years apart, as less and less people see it as worth it (I believe Boston's bid was shuttered due to public backlash? Like egotistical politicians still want it but nobody else wants to pay for it in increased taxes).

Back