• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would you expect from a Pokemon Switch Game?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    If Game Freak releases a new version on the Switch, what do you expect from it besides new region and Pokemon?
    >Travel to the other regions, in any order you wish.
    >Online mode that allows you to connect and play with other trainers MMORPG style.
    >Challenge Mode from BW2.
    >Optional Nuzlocke mode, with customizable rules you can set before starting the game.
    >fully customizable character.
    >Voice acting, if at least just for simple grunts, moans, and other sounds.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • An open-world RPG like Legend of Zelda, a less linear storyline that make your character's journey more unique and option for multiplayer.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • If Game Freak releases a new version on the Switch, what do you expect from it besides new region and Pokemon?
    >Travel to the other regions, in any order you wish.
    >Online mode that allows you to connect and play with other trainers MMORPG style.
    >Challenge Mode from BW2.
    >Optional Nuzlocke mode, with customizable rules you can set before starting the game.
    >fully customizable character.
    >Voice acting, if at least just for simple grunts, moans, and other sounds.
    I honestly doubt any of that would be present, and some of them would be downright detrimental to the game. Travelling to all regions would be an awful mess of levelling as I've said several times before, where they'd need to either raise the level cap past 100 or take some other drastic measure to make the game playable. Look at Johto - they only have two regions and already trainers at the end of Kanto are around level 70, and Johto is notable for having a pretty bad level curve in order to make that work. There's no room at all in the level curve for more than 2 regions. It just can't work, and they know that.

Online mode is possible, but I hope it won't be anything like an MMORPG. Being able to invite friends to a party and play together with them in the overworld feels much more likely in terms of online content as that's how it has worked in all previous online versions. The Pokémon games are both much too popular and have regions much too small to support an MMORPG. It would be incredibly crowded and the story wouldn't make any sense at all with millions of players at once.

I too would like to see a challenge mode but considering that essentially all of Gen 5's innovations were immediately dropped, I doubt we'll see it back. :(

The others would be cute if they could pull them off but feel they're not a likely jump for the series given where they are now. I could be wrong. I do worry though, that it's possible we'll have another experimental lazy kinda game released first - like XY in some regards was clearly just a test of the 3DS's capabilities and didn't have a lot of effort put into it.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I don't expect much for the Switch game. Bet it be awful. I don't see them doing multi region games again. Don't what Nuzlocke is but i hope it never happens.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    My guess is that most of what we will see from the switch Pokemon series is a platform change. I think Game Freak will stick to their basic formula with changes based specifically on new platform Dynamics. Although Game Freak had a repetitive formula, they are well known for expanding their game mechanics by pushing the hardware to it's limits.
    I think what we will see is a Pokemon game on par with either D/P or X/Y, since the first Pokemon game on the Switch will most likely be testing the capabilities of the Switch (as D/P tested the DS and X/Y tested the 3DS respectively). So I think the first Switch Pokemon game will be an awesome game, but it will be lacking in various features and may feel limited. However the first game will probably lay ground work for the future Pokemon Switch games to truly push the system to its limits.

I'm not saying to keep expectations low, but it should be known that the first Pokemon on a new system almost always is lacking simply because it's a new platform and it needs to be experimented on with the first Pokemon title for that system.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    All that anyone can and should really expect for Pokemon Switch at this point in time is basically what we've been getting for the past several years (and probably more specifically like how the first pairs tend to go, like what Mister Coffee said), but with prettier graphics.

What people want to see from Pokemon Switch is a whole other matter.

Don't what Nuzlocke is but i hope it never happens.
    Nuzlocke is a type of challenge run, and is arguably the most well-known and popular sort of challenge run that Pokemon players engage in. You can read more about it here and here.

.....it's also something I find unlikely to actually be put into the games

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Overall just more content, bigger region. The switch would allow them to tuck more stuff into the game than the versions before.

Back