• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Multiple Community Summer Fangame Events

Would You Be Interested in Participating in a Combined-Community Event?

• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Hello,

The Game Dev & Rom Hacking staff teams are interested in doing small, combined game jams and competitions across communities over this Summer, and possibly over many times in the future. This will be a very broad-reaching event, so we can include ROM hackers and game developers alike! They can come together for a fun and interesting challenge! Of course there would be winners! However, considering the vast difference in limitations to development, we will be judging ROM Hackers separately from Fangames.

For those who are new to the Game Dev and ROM Hack communities, a game jam is an event where many developers get together for a specified timespan and work on a game of their own devising for the given time frame only. Usually game jams don't allow people to do any sort of work on their game before it starts; planning is usually fine! A combined game jam is a game jam that takes place across multiple gaming platforms and in multiple, small communities!

We have a poll because we would like to take community input on such an event. As a member of the PokeCommunity would you like to see an event such as this happen? What are your thoughts about bringing the communities together?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • We tried something like this a few years ago where the timespan was a couple weeks iirc. I have a link to our team's thread here if you're interested: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=344227
    It was fun to work on this, but towards the middle, motivations were clearly dwindling. In our project's case, myself and Dr.Fuji were the only contributors despite sporting a 5-6 man squad. Part of this was because the teams were attempted to be balanced based on hacker experience so our team had a few noobs. The other part being no one wanted to actually do anything. While I can see the reasoning being to keep the competition fair, it did offload most of the work on to me which I didn't like. It's a sad day when you applied for ASM and are forced to do doing mapping and scripting too.

If you're attempting to solve this a few suggestions I have are:
    - Less than a week timespan
    - Making a game is asking for a lot. Even if it's 1 gym of progress, low work load is the key
    - Explore letting people form their own groups or letting people pick to be in certain groups of friends
    - There was a decomp exclusive "hackathon" hosted which attempted to getting people to work with decomps. Similarly, if your competition benefits the participants, it could get more people to actually join
    - Right now RHing is a bit segmented between EM/FR and conventional/decomp hacking. It'll be difficult to get decent sized teams on the same platform.

Personally, I wouldn't join this sort of competition in it's current format because I'd rather work on my own project. Best of luck to making this succeed though.

Years
  • We tried something like this a few years ago where the timespan was a couple weeks iirc. I have a link to our team's thread here if you're interested: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=344227
    It was fun to work on this, but towards the middle, motivations were clearly dwindling. In our project's case, myself and Dr.Fuji were the only contributors despite sporting a 5-6 man squad. Part of this was because the teams were attempted to be balanced based on hacker experience so our team had a few noobs. The other part being no one wanted to actually do anything. While I can see the reasoning being to keep the competition fair, it did offload most of the work on to me which I didn't like. It's a sad day when you applied for ASM and are forced to do doing mapping and scripting too.

- Making a game is asking for a lot. Even if it's 1 gym of progress, low work load is the key
    - Explore letting people form their own groups or letting people pick to be in certain groups of friends
    - There was a decomp exclusive "hackathon" hosted which attempted to getting people to work with decomps. Similarly, if your competition benefits the participants, it could get more people to actually join
    - Right now RHing is a bit segmented between EM/FR and conventional/decomp hacking. It'll be difficult to get decent sized teams on the same platform.

Personally, I wouldn't join this sort of competition in it's current format because I'd rather work on my own project. Best of luck to making this succeed though.

We have considered the limitations of the ROM hackers in developing our theme no doubt. We will ensure that everyone will have enough time to make a short game whether it be from a team or a single developer. This thread is about measuring interest in such event. The theme for the event will be revealed in time!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    We tried something like this a few years ago where the timespan was a couple weeks iirc. I have a link to our team's thread here if you're interested: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=344227

With all respect, this mostly sounds like an issue with your team. Based on what you wrote it seems you were assigned a team? That's definitely not our plan. Everyone should be able to pick their own team, that way friends could work together or people with aligning interests/passion. We'd probably limit teams at 3 or 4.

I've never participated in such short competitions, but if longer time periods don't really work, we can experiment with shorter ones. That's a matter of experience (which I lack), so your insight is appreciated there.

We hope to deviate from the standard gym formula. By having broad and abstract themes, we're trying to inspire people to do something different, to create unique Pokemon games that are a completely different experience for the player.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • With all respect, this mostly sounds like an issue with your team. Based on what you wrote it seems you were assigned a team? That's definitely not our plan. Everyone should be able to pick their own team, that way friends could work together or people with aligning interests/passion. We'd probably limit teams at 3 or 4.

I've never participated in such short competitions, but if longer time periods don't really work, we can experiment with shorter ones. That's a matter of experience (which I lack), so your insight is appreciated there.

We hope to deviate from the standard gym formula. By having broad and abstract themes, we're trying to inspire people to do something different, to create unique Pokemon games that are a completely different experience for the player.
    You're right, teams were created by sorting people by experience. Making it so people are free to make their own teams from a pool of participants may be best. Though I think it's a problem everyone faced in the competition (dwindling motivation). If you're able to come up with an idea for something shorter term, I think it'd be more successful. In projects like the community hack, we had the exact same problem. Everyone's willingness to work on a project at the start was phenomenal and it just sort of dwindles from there.

It's nice to see the section mods doing something for the community. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I like this idea. I was actually inspired by the recent Game Jam to make my own short little project. Turns out doing it on my own takes a lot longer than I thought, but it's worth it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I like the idea. Never participated in any of the sort, but would join!

remer

The Warrior
    Years
  • Can we make games with any program?Even in teams?I would really like to participate in one of those,as i have never done before.It seems fun.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    As much as this sounds like a good idea at first glance, the thing is, most of us just don't have time to make something we can be proud of within a short timeframe. Even if there was a community hack, there'd be someone who does all the work and many who quit after the game jam starts.

Years
  • Can we make games with any program?Even in teams?I would really like to participate in one of those,as i have never done before.It seems fun.

Yep! As long as you can make the game in the time allotted, we don't care which program you'll use!

Back