• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Mario timeline: Attention all Mario experts!

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • Unbeknown to a lot of you guys, I've been studying the Mario games closely for quite a while now. After many years of studying the plots and finding it out in relation to the chronology of the games, I think I've come up with a plausible timeline for the Mario universe. I'm by no means perfect, and there probably might be some mistakes on there; if you see any discrepancies, anachronisms, missing games, or reasons why one game can't be where it is in the timeline, please let me know. Do note that there may some rather obscure games on here as well. If you've never heard of a certain Mario game until now, lemme know. Please note that this will include spoilers for certain games if you have not played them yet! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

So without further ado, here is the timeline for the Mario series that I've come up with:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2019
    Hello, HeroLinik! I love your theory and think it's the best one I've ever found, but I did find some inconsistencies. Just thought I'd let you know.
    First, you are missing some games. Yoshi's Crafted World is first in line. It has to take place somewhere before Bowser grows up, as Baby Bowser is in the game. Second is Super Mario Maker 2. It actually has a STORY. It should probably take place with Super Mario Maker and another place on the list, which I haven't figured out yet. Mario Kart Tour obviously takes place with the other Mario Kart games. Since the game isn't out yet, we don't really know a whole lot about Luigi's Mansion 3. In October, when it does come out, I'll probably have a better answer. Next, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, which takes place with the other Olympic Games. And lastly, Dr. Mario World, which is another virus outbreak in the Mushroom Kingdom. No idea where it goes. I'll respond every now and then when new games come out.
    Also, Donkey Kong Country Returns' description makes NO sense. "In the meantime, K. Rool struck again. This time he went back to form and stole the Banana Hoard." I mean, what? Tiki Tong was the villain of the game. Maybe K. Rool sent him, I don't know. Diddy Kong was also in the game, even though you said he was in the events of Diddy Kong Racing.
    These are not complaints. I'm just trying to help you finish this timeline.
    See ya!

Cid

Years
  • Unbeknown...

I love the dedication you put into this. I enjoyed reading part of it but I had to stop in the middle because I had to do other stuff, haha. I was wondering why you put Super Mario 3D World before the original Super Mario Bros. though. Is that confirmed by Nintendo?

HeroLinik

Years
  • I was wondering why you put Super Mario 3D World before the original Super Mario Bros. though. Is that confirmed by Nintendo?

Nope, it's not confirmed, but just mere speculation. I put it there based on the notion that you play as Peach and Toad, and the bros. are seen plumbing at the start of the game. From there it might make sense that Bowser is furious at seeing Peach and Toad defeat him, so he enacts revenge.

Years
    • Seen today
    It's always a cool idea. I usually think of the 3D games as a main universe and Paper Mario to be in it's own.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Wow.. I am really, really impressed with the effort you put into this. :O

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2019
    OMG!!! You added some of the new games! Sorry if I wasn't as helpful.
    Now that I think about it, I may have an idea where Super Mario Maker 2 goes.
    During the events of Super Mario Run, Bowser destroys Peach's Castle. In Story Mode of SMM2, you collect coins to rebuild Peach's Castle.
    They may just fit together.
    Super Mario Run could be where you finish rebuilding the castle, then, in Mario Maker 2, Undodog destroys it, and you have to rebuild it again.
    This is just my idea though. See ya!
    P.S. You're probably so glad to see people comment on this since January, right? LOL

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2019
    Oops, just realized Super Mario Run wasn't really part of the story.
    Maybe the idea of making Super Mario Run was based on Super Mario Maker 2's Story Mode.
    Either that or the Story Mode is fake too!
    LOL

HeroLinik

Years
  • Oops, just realized Super Mario Run wasn't really part of the story.
    Maybe the idea of making Super Mario Run was based on Super Mario Maker 2's Story Mode.
    Either that or the Story Mode is fake too!
    LOL

The funny thing is that there isn't really supposed to be a honed plot for Super Mario Run. It's pretty much just another "Bowser kidnaps Peach" scenario but there's no motive for Bowser this time, you're just thrown straight into the game with no plot. As a result it could be a game that Mario made, parodying that.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2019
    "When the game comes out in October, I'll have a better answer for Luigi's Mansion 3."
    Well, now, having the game out, I guess I'll have a better answer.
    Not really, I'm just reminding you that Luigi's Mansion 3 came out today, and it's time to add it to the timeline.
    Can't wait to see where it is!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • you know the gif of the lady like reading something online and she starts crying and nodding her head bc that was me reading this the sublime dedication you have to this series is something i have to salute bc there are so many games to account for here.

Back