• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Watchdogs

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
  • Watchdogs has to be my favorite game of all time right now. Probably stay that way for awhile.
    My opinions
    Watchdogs 1 is better, the story is intense, makes you feel for the character, makes you wish certain things could or didnt happen. Watchdogs 2, as a sequal, the game sucks. I say that because it doesnt really follow any of the first games story line, beyond Dedsec and ctOS and odviously hacking. As its own game, its amazing, you got wonderful tools to help you out, they also got Wrench who is really awesome. You can do more things with hacking, but the simpleness probably would have worked like it did in the original.

Anyways, what do you guys think about watchdogs 1 and 2?
    Oh btw, rumors are there is gonna be a 3rd, but wont be announced until about mid 2019, and might not be released until next gen console or end 2019. Do you guys want a 3rd? what do you wanna see in the third?

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • The first one was the first AAA game where I felt an intense feeling of being ripped off and horribly disappointed. It was just... bad... The shooting sucked, the story was lame, and the "hacking" was not what was the icing on the cake for disappointment just completely lackluster.

The second game by comparison is better in any and every way you could compare. The world feels more alive, the hacking is more interesting and useful, the story (while less serious) is much more interesting and entertaining. Even gunplay feels overhauled. The driving still sucks but hey you cant have everything. The game really flourished when they threw away the intensely generic "I'm a tough guy and you hurt me so now I'll hurt YOU" story and leaned into the more goofy/meme-y "hacker culture". The game actually has a soul now. I could go on for a long while but I won't.

Sorry not sorry to have the complete opposite opinion of ya

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • But hey we both think the second game is great! That's a point of connection! I really like the series and its concepts overall, and I think could do very well if they take what they learned from WD2 and applied it to a more serious toned game it would do great.

Still, the series has a lot of catching up to do to even compete with other similar "open city" games as I call them.

FlameChrome

Years
  • I like watchdogs 2 as a game by itself, i do agree its a great game. But the first game was much better, to me, and the second game couldnt match up to it as a sequal. At least they had Wrench to balance it out. I did hear rumors about a 3rd game is happening, sadly we wont hear about it until about mid 2019, then its not estimated to release until end 2019 or when next gen consoles come out.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I enjoyed the first game immensely. The soundtrack was so good. ANOTHER COLD NIGHT IN CHICAGO!!

I barely played the second one though.

FlameChrome

Years
  • honestly, im not actually finished the second game yet. I consider myself at least halfway done the first one due to the story being done, just side missions and stuff left. Which i cant do atm since im grounded, but crap happens. Cant wait to get back to it though

jadeCrown

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2019
    Haven't played the first part but the second part was quite a disappintment for me. Too much tech made the whole gameplay too confusing. Would have been better if they kept it atleast a little more realistic

Years
  • As a man who enjoys obscure video games, I bought into the first Watchdogs and I kinda have my own 2 cents.

The Good; Aiden or....well, I can't remember his name if I got it, was, roughly a pretty well-ish written character to where I didn't see the need for Ubisoft to apologize, especially in today's society where people blame the government for different garbage no matter what side you on. Democrats blaming republicans and vice versa when one or the other is in office and they have to impede each other over the most stupidest or trifle things when dealing with this. We learn more as we reach the completionist-ish status, we learn more about his past, he's just a simple guy wanting to look out for people and his family, mostly the latter. He's basically a white hat hacker in a sense except he kinda takes it a step further... Maybe a Black hat and white hat?.... Gray hat?.... I don't know. I mean, if you we're a hacker with the city in the palm of your hand... literally, would you rather play robinhood or screw people over for kicks?

Some of the hacking concepts are kinda cool, Changing stop lights for take downs, the random hacker battles where you need to hide in plain site, the drop in, drop out stuff like it was kinda awesome.

The bad; The FPS element is a bit sour since we HAVE NO AIM ASSIST!... which with a keyboard and mouse, that's cool, but more game have the old Aim assist on consoles, roughly, even if we turn it off. The concept of what you hack is still heavily limited and while the hacking maze puzzles we're interesting, a game that repeats these mechanics with no newer elements to hack in the game's world to manipulate the city, it's kinda... lacking... I mean, take New York, 4th street where they have they HUGE TV! Have a birthday surprise for the kid to HACK THAT TV and wish his nephew a happy birthday or play a cartoon for kicks from the 60's; kinda what sucker punch did in Infamous when you power up a portion of a city to help your side kick hack a billboard to help play a cartoon to help people take their minds off of the pain and destruction. It twas a full cartoon they licensed out I think or one where the company is long gone. Use the city hacking to get discounts on stuff, instead of making the city crash when your found out, hack the phones to play an ear-peircing sound throw off the aim of the attackers in a small area instead of one with the lousy earpiece in his ear, it can be a one time thing per discovery during stealth sections and throw off their aim while you run or fight back while coming out from under cover.

Maybe plant GPS bugs on phone to track people, see where they go and you can get map updates on shops that do a time based store discount in the game or track down players in multiplayer where they hunt other players in certain areas.... Ha;lf of this never makes it into Watch Dogs 2 as ideas I've listed here, but it's a rough start.

And the PC version..... It's just overall buggy, I played this title on console.

Years
  • I do agree, it has its ups and downs, but every game does if you think about it. But what are your views on watchdogs 2? I played on console myself and enjoyed it very much.

MY views on Watchdog 2 differ... For one, the game trying to be culturally sensitive I guess? Not noting the change in characters, even though to me if they re-used Aiden then it would be pretty awesome, Though the rest of the game feels... Nerfed a little I guess? A prime example, First watchdogs, Deadsec always appeared to be a force that you did not what to reckon with, especially near the end where they give Aiden a 'choice' to join them or be against them, their ability to track him and what not like this, it feels like this is a team of hackers you don't want to get on the bad side of... When Watchdogs 2 released and stated we would play as a Deadsec member, I was kinda hoping to expect the same type of terrifying ability from it's members or at least how it got started...

Instead, we got teens being teens, discussing problems and some relevant bits about personal opr big data and being the people who will always 'fight for the right thing for the lulz.' If anything, it feels like a highschool musical, covered and dressed in networking conspiracies and bringing down big internet or a message from the freedom fights in the 1970's, unthawed from being frozen and taking part int he current generation.

I won't dismiss it though, I did enjoy the games story and the Irony of how their city OS predicted what crimes he would be doing before he did it and we spend the whole game literally doing probably about 3/4 of that list... Whether it is accurate or not or by ridiculous coincidence, the predictions from the city OS caused him to perform all of the crimes listed.... Stealing cars or 'hacking' the vehicles. Grand LArceny or stealing funds from people and big corporations... Which on the latter, I won't touch, that's how you judge and see fit.

The gameplay though on the hacking, They have added a LOT more, there is still mroe of the city to control now, buses, Phones, Traffic light take downs and so on; but what kills it for me that there is still a lot you can take advantage of with hacking the city, it feels to me they've started scratching the surface pretty well, but haven't taken things just far enough yet without going over the deepend; however there is not a lot in the city to control and while they give a good size of missions to perform, it still feels small in a sense... Though if you we're to look into hacking and all the random directions you can take it, I can see why they stuck to what they had and expanded on only so much. The hacking mazes have returned and they're a little more entertaining to play around with and solve than in the first Watchdogs and the upgrades are kinda cool, though the upgrades seem to be more based on missions finished or bonus objectives like the first watch dogs, like the story, kinda feels like another pet peeve when they could do more with the upgrade concept, such as add smaller mini quests or unmarked quests where you could find upgrades to apply to your skillset. Such as your phone, hacking range could be poor, you find a mission where there is a new type of Bluetooth radio or something along those lines, you do the mini mission you fouind somehow, get it soddered to your phone and your hacking range increases. Or maybe have an unmarked mission, there's a web forum the generates pre-generated messages daily when you play the game and once ina while, there's a post that relates to the game world, following the post as an unmarked quests could lead to ammo or a temporary boost for multiplayer....

Though that's just me speaking outloud.... Aside from this? After you upgrade your drone and skills with that drone to max, the game becomes a cakewalk as you can sneak around with your RC toys a lot faster and easier than moving around on your own... Kinda like a real hacker, but the skill and fun is sort of removed... Though I loved the fighting segments, the hacking segments, the ATM quest which was kinda funny, all of this was kind of fun to play through. There we're less flaws in this title than the first and the game feels like an improvement but more can be done.

FlameChrome

Years
  • its a quote
    Touched the surface? yes, but if you think about it, it was released in 2016, while technology was great then, you know they been developing the game from like 2014 or 2015, technology isnt as advanced as it is now (you know what i mean, technology was used and there, but not as compact, as it is in 2019)

I do agree though, they could have added more, due to its a fictional world, they have limitless possibilities, based on the technology used in their studios and stuff. Though, makes me curious whats gonna happen in watchdogs 3, since rumors state they are in creation of it, and i heard somewhere its in London, like really, why?

You have to admit, the gameplay improved greatly in the second game at least. I do agree, story does suck for the most part :(.

Years
  • Touched the surface? yes, but if you think about it, it was released in 2016, while technology was great then, you know they been developing the game from like 2014 or 2015, technology isnt as advanced as it is now (you know what i mean, technology was used and there, but not as compact, as it is in 2019)

I do agree though, they could have added more, due to its a fictional world, they have limitless possibilities, based on the technology used in their studios and stuff. Though, makes me curious whats gonna happen in watchdogs 3, since rumors state they are in creation of it, and i heard somewhere its in London, like really, why?

You have to admit, the gameplay improved greatly in the second game at least. I do agree, story does suck for the most part :(.

I think I said the last paragraph with more words and terrible grammar. XD

The gameplay is an improvement over the 2nd; though more can be explored, the story doesn't have to cater to people in a 'coming of age millennial' story, just be about hackers hacking things to bring down people hunting their lives like the movie Hackers.. from the 1995.... It's an ok movie, just dripping with 90's cheese and you could call it a mindless action flick with people trying to be 'rad' where souless marketing was a little less soulless and made some effort to accomplish something...

As for expanding on hacking, There is a lot orf other directions you can take hacking, especially in 2014-16 when the first released without having to go so far off the deep end to bore people; though I digress, the abilities Ubisoft brings to the table for us the players to use are a bit more practical in use and make more sense between the two games. Can you distract an enemy with a TV? Can you kill a man with something else than water pipes, Road Blocks and Street lights such as Cameras Cause powerlines to implode and cause traffic to wreck? More or less, I don't think so, I do mean they can do more with technology no matter which end it is, but there a point in if it can be used or if it can't and makes more sense....

As for Watch Dogs 3? If they lay off what they did in 2 for the story a little and did something interesting such as.... I don't know, have us play as a hacker working for the guys looking to watch and control everything, fighting deadsec and make a decision to save the free world or toss it to the cosmic wind to be turned to dus, then that would be interesting.

A battle for what free will we do have, what rights we have left and how far we will go to defend ourselves or expose ourselves.... so long as Social justice doesn't get mixed into this... But what do I know?

Last edited:

FlameChrome

Years
  • Oof, how did i not read thay before. Anyways i think that would be kind of cool, maybe as part of the story, you can choose to helpmor ruin dedsec, make your own group, etc.

Back