• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need Opinions and Tips on Deck

Fellvoid

Explorer
Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    Hello!

[I tend to explain my self extensively, so a TLDR can be found a bit lower, sorry in advance]

I've been playing the PkMn TCG for a while, on the side, but I generally come from a background of semi-competitive YGO, which makes my understanding of the PKMN game a bit limited. In the sense that I don't grasp some things yet, as the mechanics are quite different.
    Either way, since YGO is now ruined IMO, and since I have friends who play PkMn, I decided to try and switch over. However, my friends tell me that, simply put, I can't play a deck I like (meaning - containing Pokemon I like), because it wouldn't be fast enough, which means that I'd have basically no chance of winning at locals, let alone a bigger event. Is that true though?
    For me, to play a TCG, I have to like my cards. I've grown up with Pokemon, so I have my favorites, naturally turning to them for my deck ideas. I'm aiming for Standard, because no one plays Expanded/Legacy formats in my area. Thus, I want to base my deck around Pokemon that I like, instead of a theme I like, because in this game I only know what I dislike (Burn, Stall, etc). I've searched over the current sets and I have found only two options that I like - Charizard and Houndoom (who is my all-time fav, however the play style isn't really to my liking).

:TLDR: (Noob player, aiming for Standard, wants to play something he likes, asks advice from more experienced active players!) :TLDR:

I really want to make a Charizard deck, but people tell me it's pointless, since the only available reprints are slow and arent worth the Energy costs. My original plan was to bash Houndoom and Charizard together, but after thinking on it, I realize that this might be completely pointless, but I can't be sure. This is a current iteration of what I would like my deck to look like:

Pokemon - 21

• * 2 Rayquaza GRI 106
    • * 2 Charizard-EX FLF 12
    • * 2 M Charizard-EX EVO 13
    • * 3 Charmander EVO 9
    • * 3 Charmeleon EVO 10
    • * 3 Charizard EVO 11
    • * 2 Houndoom-EX BKT 21
    • * 2 M Houndoom-EX BKT 22
    • * 1 Ninetales-EX GEN 13
    • * 1 Hoopa-EX PR-XY XY71

Trainer Cards - 24 (Tinkering required)

• * 2 Charizard Spirit Link EVO 75
    • * 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
    • * 2 Professor's Letter BKT 146
    • * 2 Super Rod BKT 149
    • * 2 N NVI 92
    • * 2 Lysandre FLF 90
    • * 2 Wally ROS 94
    • * 2 Pokemon Fan Club FAC 107
    • * 2 Ultra Ball FAC 113
    • * 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
    • * 2 Pokemon Center Lady GEN 68

Energy - 15

• * 8 Fire Energy XYEnergy 4
    • * 4 Burning Energy BKT 151
    • * 3 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

And yes, I realize it's kind of terrible, but it's my third deck ever constructed in this TCG.

In retrospect, I realized that mashing cards with different play styles is frowned upon, but I have no way of knowing (by this I mean the Houndoom and Charizard mash).
    Also, if you notice, my intention was to put Pokemon in there, that can serve as tech cards (YGO logic kicking in). But after playing the game online a bit, I think this is useless. Is it? I am referring to Ninetales EX and Rayquaza.
    I also know that my Trainer card ratios are rather absurd, but I have no way of knowing better as of now.
    My ultimate goal is to figure out how I can build a semi-competitive deck around Charizard. I have gone through both discarding the Evolution line and keeping the EX versions and the other way around, which sounds more absurd, but I really do need opinions and tips at this point. I've also gone the Volcanion + Charizard route, but it turns out too expensive at the moment. I would like some feedback on if this is even possible (and is it worth the trouble at all?) and if yes - some build tips would be extremely appreciated!
    My budget is kind of restrained, meaning that I can't go full 4 copies of the EXs, for example. I'm going for a semi-budget deck, since I don't want to invest into something I'm not sure I'll get in to with time.
    If you are asking why not just go for theme decks - I have a theme deck (the Lugia one) and I've tried several others online, but I enjoy none of them. Plus, the players in my area are a bit over Theme decks, so I can't rely on that choice. Plus, the ones that I am attracted to are no longer in rotation and convincing the Judge at locals to simply let me participate isn't worth the trouble... and the price of the Themed decks is a bit less than what I intend to spend in cards in general, so I see no point in doing that.

Thanks to anyone, in advance, for reading my wall of text and helping me out. I am super confused by the players around me, who have been playing for years and have opinions based on things like meta and competitive gameplay. Most YouTubers' guides I've watched say that you can basically make any deck and have it work, as long as it's not completely absurd. I'm going for enjoyment of the game first! But I'd like to win from time to time too. =] Again - thank you for your time!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years

• Wow that was a wall. But notably, your friends are pessimists. Tell them I said so.

They aren't wrong that slow decks, notably ones like Charizard, tend to place poorly at large events. That doesn't mean you can't play it at League or Locals and get some wins though, especially thanks to our friend Burning Shadows.

Burning Shadows, a new set releasing August 4th, includes Charizard GX, which is just outright better than any other Brokenzard in the format without exception. It also includes Kiawe, which should help deal with the slowness, and Ho-Oh GX, which is... well... I'll just say it lets you play Charizard GX without Charmander. The other way to speed up any Stage 2 deck is Rare Candy, which is basically an obligation for Charizard.

Houndoom is a separate case. Houndoom is far more viable than Charizard, but they don't work terribly well together. You can still use it if you'd like though, and I will be assuming that you will.

Your other Pokémon in the present list are... unnecessary. So, with that, here is the pkmn list I recommend, if you can get your hands on it (Charizard GX is expensive because everyone likes Charizard):

3-4 Charmander (any one will do, even a mix)
    3-4 Charizard GX (BSH 20) [Note the lack of Charmelon. We're using Rare Candy to supplement, it's just better that way]
    2 Houndoom EX
    2 M Houndoom EX
    0-2 Tapu Lele GX

Total - 8-14

You may notice how I left some numbers as a range. This should be based on availability, because some of these cards are hard to get. Tapu Lele is a general speed-increasing staple, which is good but can be lived without.

Ho-Oh GX is also an option for a Fire type, as it's GX attack is freaking insane.

Charizard GX can OHKO literally any card in the game for 5 Energy, although you need to discard three. Using this setup also offers you a second win condition: Between Houndoom EX and Charizard's GX Attack, you can deck your opponent fairly quickly.

Anyway, let's talk Trainers.

Start with the classics: N, Sycamore, Lydandre, Seekers, Ultras, that stuff.
    Stage 2 decks are obligated to carry 4 Rare Candy, so use them.
    Kiawe is a ridiculous card in Fire decks. It lets you search your deck for 4 Fire Energy and attach them to one of your Pokemon (aka Charizard), at the cost of ending your turn instantly. I'd start with 3 and season to taste.
    Houndoom and Charizard both discard large swaths of Fire Energy. Recovery is a must.
    Houndoom Spirit Link exists.

2 Houndoom Spirit Link
    4 Professor Sycamore
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Energy Recycler
    2 N
    1 Lysandre
    4 VS Seeker
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Kiawe
    1 Skyla
    2 Special Charge
    2 Fisherman
    2 Choice Band
    2 Wishful Baton

Total - 36

You can always add a few more Trainers. This is actually pretty low as of now, so other generically good trainers like Rescue Stretcher work here. Brock's Grit is nice too.

Energy is nice and simple - 4 Burning Energy (a MUST for Charizard), DCEs to taste (I'd start with 0), and fill out with Basic Fires.

The playstyle of this deck is simply get your Pokemon up and start burning stuff. With two Burning, M Houndoom does 160 every turn, 190 with a Choice. Charizard does 300 damage for 5 Energy. That's insane.

So that's about it. If you have any questions feel free to quote this post, as it sends me a notification.

Back