• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon StunningSteel

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
Hey, enjoying the hack. Roaming around in Fuchsia as we speak...

My Gyarados badly needs a physical water move, is Waterfall available in the same place as FR? Coz that will be a loooong wait.

I'm playing with the P/S split and there are a few wrenches thrown in without the updated movesets haha... no physical ice (except on Gengar and Alakazam :| ) or water or psychic moves going around... everyone and their mother learns crunch though :D

Water/Dragon on Gyarados is a welcome and scary change! Not really looking into the weather meta but I have got myself a shiny speed boost torchic! Yay!

Also, what's with the guy lying in front of fishing guru's house? Is he supposed to be blocking the route? Coz I can just get around him by going around the house....

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 6, 2016
Can sombody tell me how evolve pokemon like Machoke and Kadabra? Btw great game I haven't stopped playing it since I downloaded it

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2018
How can I join Team Rocket it doesn't let me choose to join or not to...can you tell me how pls?

And Vcaveman how do I get in to Silph Co. I have did everything before and in searching 2 days to see if I missed a plot and I can't find it can you help me out pls? And where is the HM SURFFFF

From the fact that you can't get into Silph, you haven't gotten far enough to make the decision to join TR. That's one of the last things in the Beta. As for getting into Silph, make sure you go check out east of Fuchsia city if I remember correctly.
Surf is still located in the normal location in the safari zone.

Mastergingwregg said:
Can sombody tell me how evolve pokemon like Machoke and Kadabra? Btw great game I haven't stopped playing it since I downloaded it
I think that Machoke and Kadabra now evolve with level. I know it's included in the files that are in the download provided by Vcaveman, so go check that out for an exact answer.

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
Yo, what's up guys! Sorry for the delayed replies. Pokecommunity decided to stop sending me email notifications about this thread, so I didn't realize anyone had posted until seatrek told me just now.

Spoiler:
Hey zepset, thanks for all of your work trying to figure out what's going on! I'm not really sure why it's doing that, but I'll look into it when I get time. Also great work finding the PC tile bug! Don't know how we missed that. That one, at least, is an easy enough fix.

Spoiler:
Komedinos, thanks for playing! I agree with Zepset's answer 100%. Specifically, you need to talk to Vanessa on Route 13 (Route 12 optional) to get into Silph.

Spoiler:
Hey Pokey_Man, thanks for playing, and great catch with the guy by the fishing guru's house. He is in fact supposed to be blocking the path haha. It doesn't really matter, but the level balance is a little off if you don't go down Cycling Road first.

Waterfall will be available around Cinnabar/1-3 Island. After the elite 4, around the time you normally get Waterfall, you'll instead be getting Dive. And btw oh my gosh you did not get a shiny speed boost Torchic lol. That's awesome. I got a shiny Abra with quite decent stats in one of my beta testing runthroughs and I was so pumped.

You're the first person to indicate you've actually read the pdf, so thank you for validating the effort I put into making it haha. Also the first person to comment on the liberal addition of Crunch to the movepools. It was mostly a flavor thing, like honestly how could Gyarados and Aerodactyl not learn Crunch. But yeah, the current movepools/meta is not set in stone, and we're still looking for improvements. If you have specific ideas, please share! (btw Hitmonchan gets Ice Punch - losing it on Gengar and zam is hardly a good trade, but... at least someone benefited from physical Ice, right?)

Glad you're liking it! As zepset said, they evolve by leveling up. The complete list is in the pdf, but Machoke and Kadabra specifically evolve at lvl 40.

Hey man, I'm really sorry you're having that problem. I've run out of ideas of what might be wrong. The only things I can suggest are redownloading the files, or trying to play on a different device. Good luck! Thanks for giving it a go!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Are saves for the current beta going to be compatible with future releases?

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
Hey guys any news on a new update

First off, thank you all for investing your time to share in this adventure with us. We've had a ton of fun so far making the StunningSteel universe, and it really means a lot to us to be able to share that enjoyment with you all. We actually have plans for a trilogy centered around StunningSteel, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Unfortunately, real life issues are making it really hard for us to work on this right now. Seatrekninja is busy getting a degree in game design (seems like there's overlap, but you can't just choose to turn in work you've done with copyrighted material for your classes lol), and I'm in medical school, so neither of us have had much time at all to work on this, basically since the initial release.

We're hoping to get together for a week or so over the summer and crank out the next release, through Cinnabar and the first 3 islands (also probably including a large part of Genesis Cave and the route that lies beyond it). But even that is optimistic, since I still have rotations and seatrek has classes in the summer. So I guess to be totally honest, as much as I hate to say it, we're on a hiatus of indeterminate length. This is absolutely not permanent, and we have every intention of finishing StunningSteel as soon as possible (followed shortly by StunningSteel X, which is hard mode; then eventually by the prequel and sequel). We just don't know when that will be. Believe me, nobody is more bummed about not being able to stop time and just dive into this than I am.

In the meantime, I'll still be responsive on this thread (provided my email notifications start working again), as will seatrekninja. Please continue playing and giving us feedback! We want the final version to be as good as it can be, and for that we need your feedback and suggestions (and of course, bug reports).

Also, if you are feeling particularly masochistic, you can try a Nuzlocke of the beta so far {XD}. VM/PM me if you want the set of rules I came up with specifically for this game to make it balanced.

Cheers!
Vcaveman

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
gonna have to give this a whirl :D
Hope you enjoy it!

Any progress towards next beta? Don't give up on this awesome hack
Currently making maps for Genesis Cave and the route that lies beyond it. Progress is still pretty slow and sporadic. :/ But thanks for the encouragement! I'm hoping to get a couple weeks off this summer to really put in time. If seatrek is also able to get some time off we could theoretically get v1.4 out this summer. Can't promise anything, unfortunately.
VCM

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
Hey everyone!

Thought I'd give you all a sneak peek at a couple of maps I've been working on.

This map lies east of Genesis Cave, and is accessible as soon as you can Surf. It's also where you'll find HM07 Waterfall!
Spoiler:

Here's a few screenshots from Genesis Cave, as well (no full-map shots - it is a dungeon, after all :P). And yep, that's a Dive spot.
Spoiler:
Thanks everyone for your interest, patience and encouragement. Keep the feedback coming in!

Cheers,
VCM

P.S. Almost 1,000 downloads of version 1.3.1! Woot! Interestingly, fewer than 300 downloads of the Gen 4 P/S split patch. I wonder if it's because people are choosing not to use it, or if they just don't know about it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
Pretty exciting! Though I can't remember where I was or what I was doing in the game :P

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2018
Hey everyone!

Thought I'd give you all a sneak peek at a couple of maps I've been working on.

This map lies east of Genesis Cave, and is accessible as soon as you can Surf. It's also where you'll find HM07 Waterfall!
Spoiler:

Here's a few screenshots from Genesis Cave, as well (no full-map shots - it is a dungeon, after all :P). And yep, that's a Dive spot.
Spoiler:
Thanks everyone for your interest, patience and encouragement. Keep the feedback coming in!

Cheers,
VCM

P.S. Almost 1,000 downloads of version 1.3.1! Woot! Interestingly, fewer than 300 downloads of the Gen 4 P/S split patch. I wonder if it's because people are choosing not to use it, or if they just don't know about it.

The updates are looking absolutely amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on 1.4 when you release it. Better to wait for a well polished update with minimal bugs than for you guys to throw stuff to the wall and see what sticks. Take your time, I'm sure the update will be worth waiting for.

Years
Hey there! First things first, great hack! I love how the decisions you make overall shape people's perceptions of you. I definitely am having fun with this. While it is more or less Fire Red, I'm glad that these little elements are added to keep it fresh. But either way, it seems that I have encountered a problem. I have beaten Erika, took Giovanni out of Celadon city, saved Mr Fuji, but yet in Saffron City, the grunt won't move from the entrance. That and the old man, simply won't move from the path, saying he lost an eating battle with Snorlax(gave me a good chuckle). I'm guessing this is where the beta ends? Or do I have to do something? Either way, keep up the great work!

EDIT: Never mind. Found what I needed to do, and I'm done with the beta. All I gotta is "WOW"! Good grief, you guys really did outdo yourselves. While I am kinda saddened to see how negatively Giovanni's legitimacy as a character is being affected by the plot twist, it still didn't stop me from enjoying the beta a lot. The only little bit of downside I can find would basically have to be the fact that for some events, you need to actually go to the character and talk to them, to continue on with the event, even though they're literally just next to you, and there should be no problem with them just picking up from where things were left off, and continue speaking to you(like after you save Vanessa). After they disappear, she just stands there like nothing happened, you can literally just actually walk out of the cave, and the fact that you gotta turn around and talk to her to keep the conversation going kinda irks me a bit. I know it's a bit minor and all, but I felt like I should mention it I guess. Regardless, I do hope that especially in the final stages you guys add LOTS of custom events like the one before the end of the beta, as well as increase the proportions of the decision making, because believe me, I genuinely enjoyed playing this game a lot, and I look forward to seeing the final output. Keep up the amazing work. :)

Last edited:

CaveNinja

ROM hacking duo
Years
Just started an LP of this game.

Here is a link to Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBGRauYHv1E
Awesome, man! Definitely looking forward to hearing your feedback, and the vid comments.

Hey man, thanks for the feedback, and sorry I couldn't post a reply earlier! I'm really glad you brought up that point about the conversation in Genesis Cave. These are the types of minor details that I have to think about when scripting, and it really helps to have input from others. To use this particular example, I actually started out with the conversation continuing automatically, but felt like there needed to be some kind of pause for the main character to reflect on what just happened. I'll put a note in my to do list to add a delay, then have your character automatically turn around and talk to her. If you think of anything else, let us know!

Cheers!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2020
vcaveman;random post said:
Hey Pokey_Man, thanks for playing, and great catch with the guy by the fishing guru's house. He is in fact supposed to be blocking the path haha. It doesn't really matter, but the level balance is a little off if you don't go down Cycling Road first.

Waterfall will be available around Cinnabar/1-3 Island. After the elite 4, around the time you normally get Waterfall, you'll instead be getting Dive. And btw oh my gosh you did not get a shiny speed boost Torchic lol. That's awesome. I got a shiny Abra with quite decent stats in one of my beta testing runthroughs and I was so pumped.

You're the first person to indicate you've actually read the pdf, so thank you for validating the effort I put into making it haha. Also the first person to comment on the liberal addition of Crunch to the movepools. It was mostly a flavor thing, like honestly how could Gyarados and Aerodactyl not learn Crunch. But yeah, the current movepools/meta is not set in stone, and we're still looking for improvements. If you have specific ideas, please share! (btw Hitmonchan gets Ice Punch - losing it on Gengar and zam is hardly a good trade, but... at least someone benefited from physical Ice, right?)

Just realized I never actually replied to this... a little late I know, but better than never (I guess?). I see HM07 in the new screenshots and that makes me really happy! The shiny torchic I had also had a decent, but not great, nature. I'm thinking of using it ofcourse. Shinies don't come around everyday.

I did read the pdf, mostly because it was well made and I'm a sucker for reading everything about the hack before playing it. I also appreciate the extra effort some hackers put into making their game presentable/more appealing to the target audience. I've also always loved using steel types (soooooo many resistances!) so this one was a no brainer.

While I don't have any specific ideas on changes you guys could make, I'd just like the pokemon to have wider move pools. You know, so that it allows those who want the P/S split as well as those who want to play it vanilla to have options. So abundant physical/special moves for pokemon, at least for the type they are. For e.g. Gyarados having good physical as well as special moves for water & dragon types within its moveset.

I'm sure I had more suggestions when I'd just finished playing, but just like my memories of my father within the game, the ones of the game are a bit blurry as well. I do remember being overjoyed with the EV training hotspots though. I'd love to play the next beta, whenever it comes out. Might even play it again, considering I can't recall much of it haha

Back