• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will the identity of Ash's father ever be revealed?

Years
I always figured the speculation behind why Ash's father was never revealed is mainly to correspond with the fact the in-game protagonists (except for Brendan/May) only live with their mothers. The anime tends to take a lot of elements from the games and this seems to be one of them.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 10, 2023
actually there is a way to narrow it down if u know the age of every character and u have to assume since the time he left was at least before ash was born that would be about 10 years so he had a chance to become the greatest trainer ever they say he was a deadbeat which does not necessarily mean he is one after 10 years of training but there is another way it could of gone that he ran into trouble since in the anime it took him 4 days t get to the next city he could they said in the comic that he was a deadbeat but that does not mean he could not be a great trainer ether there r so many names that it would be i have my doubts that ash's father might of already appeared in the anime already or maybe not there is one theory a lot of people overlooked that he might of never appeared in any episode so far so except for one but they never gave his name

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
No, Ash's father is never going to be revealed. It's p obvious it's just never going to happen.

To be fair, we never exactly thought Ash would actually get Charizard back under his full custody, yet BW actually allowed for that to happen, and we also never thought Misty and Brock would even return at all, yet SM is going to have them return not just once, but twice (and the latter being big enough of an appearance that they're featured on the poster). If they could get that, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't bring in Ash's father (and besides, they might as well bring him in sooner or later anyways, since they really can't hold off on allowing Ash an actual league win any longer, not since they allowed Ash to become runner up in Kalos anyway.).

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
But you're comparing the return of three beloved characters who had years of screen-time and development (as well as established fanbases who wanted their return), to the introduction of a character who has no relevance to the plot and who was only mentioned once or twice two decades ago. Apples =/= oranges.

FYI, Ash's father if WPM's interview with Masamitsu Hidaka is to be believed had a far more likely chance at appearing than Misty and Charizard did reappearing (or, heck, actually returning to Ash's full custody in the case of the latter), saying they might bring him in if they want to do further development. And let's face it, since Ash is probably going to win the league sooner or later (can't really keep to "have him lose the league as many times as possible" now that he's runner up and thus cannot afford to lose and still show signs of improvement), only other way to allow for further development is to introduce his dad. And if they could reappear when they had even less of a chance of doing so, Ash's dad most certainly could as well.

Last edited:

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
weedle_mchairybug said:
FYI, Ash's father if WPM's interview with Masamitsu Hidaka is to be believed had a far more likely chance at appearing than Misty and Charizard did reappearing (or, heck, actually returning to Ash's full custody in the case of the latter), saying they might bring him in if they want to do further development. And let's face it, since Ash is probably going to win the league sooner or later (can't really keep to "have him lose the league as many times as possible" now that he's runner up and thus cannot afford to lose and still show signs of improvement), only other way to allow for further development is to introduce his dad. And if they could reappear when they had even less of a chance of doing so, Ash's dad most certainly could as well.

I'm aware of that interview, but the fact that our main character's growth was cited as the sole reason for his dad to appear isn't a good omen of what's to come since the writers have shown no initiative throughout the past decade to permanently develop him as a character [BW and SM in particular have shown us just how much Satoshi/Ash can regress rather than continually progress].

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'm aware of that interview, but the fact that Ash's growth was cited as the sole reason for Ash's dad to appear isn't a good omen of what's to come since the writers have shown no initiative throughout the past decade to permanently develop Ash as a character (BW and SuMo in particular have shown us just how much Ash can regress rather than continually progress). But more importantly, I don't see why anyone should think that a ten-year-old interview is still relevant today or in the future given how many things have changed since then. The man who gave the interview wasn't even a writer anyway; he directed the series until the BF saga iirc, and he hasn't been actively involved in the show's production since BW. So his opinions on what should occur with Ash's dad someday might not matter much anymore.

But I'm particularly puzzled by your insinuation that Ash getting runner-up status in XY means that he can't do worse at the next League or the ones after that. It's as if you're pretending that Ash's drop from Top 4 in DP to Top 8 in BW didn't happen, and that a similar drop isn't somehow plausible in SuMo or beyond.

Oh, I remember completely that whole mess with BW where Ash dipped down, and I also cited THAT as one of the reasons why, until SM, it tied with AG as the worst series ever, and alongside AG still remains the worst league turnout ever. However, let me remind you that when Kalos pulled that crap about heavily implying that Ash was going to win the Kalos league, combined with Generation VII not having any gyms with whether it even had a league being left in question, and then having Ash lose badly, loads of fans on both sides of the Pacific ended up taking to Twitter in a storm and making it clear in no uncertain terms that this was a big mistake of the writers (not to mention at least one of the production staff also made it clear such was a mistake). The writers would NOT want to repeat that mistake lest they incur even MORE losses against them. In fact, part of the reason why Misty and Brock came back in SM was suspected to be due to a similar twitter outrage over their being excluded from Movie 20. And besides, unlike with prior regions, this is literally going to be the first annual league for that region. Having him lose that, especially when that league is literally the first one of the region, would actually reflect VERY badly on him, and would likewise cause an even WORSE outrage than the Kalos events. I know if I were the writers, I'd make sure Ash wins the current league, even if it means the end of the show, because I'd be deathly afraid of incurring another viewer outrage via Twitter if I did otherwise.

And if they're going to continue the show even if Ash wins the league (and let's face it, he'd still need to face the Elite 4 and Champion before he can come close to achieving his goal anyways, and if he can continue his journey despite winning the Orange Islands league and the Battle Frontier, the latter of whom had trainers comparable to the Elite 4 if not rivaling them in skillsets, he most certainly can continue his journey if he wins a league), they'll need to focus on making sure Ash receives loads of development as well. XY gave him some development on that front, so it's not impossible. Heck, even AG at least did some development for him by actually ATTEMPTING to take people under his wing. One of the ways to ensure that development is to actually have his dad debut, period. And don't claim they took too long. Don't forget that Brock's mom took nine years since her first mention to debut in the main series (and the dub even implied that she was dead), and even Jessiebelle got an encore appearance over a decade after her initial debut during DP. If they can bring those guys back/debut them (and they weren't even fan favorites anyway), them bringing Ash's dad in isn't impossible at all. Sure, maybe improbable, but then again, Jessiebelle reappearing in Sinnoh wasn't exactly probable either.

Last edited:
Years
We don't know who Ash's dad is to date and we probably will never know. Giovanni being Ash's dad is so lulzy.

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Oh, I remember completely that whole mess with BW where Ash dipped down, and I also cited THAT as one of the reasons why, until SM, it tied with AG as the worst series ever, and alongside AG still remains the worst league turnout ever. However, let me remind you that when Kalos pulled that crap about heavily implying that Ash was going to win the Kalos league, combined with Generation VII not having any gyms with whether it even had a league being left in question, loads of fans on both sides of the Pacific ended up taking to Twitter in a storm and making it clear in no uncertain terms that this was a big mistake of the writers (not to mention at least one of the production staff also made it clear such was a mistake). The writers would NOT want to repeat that mistake lest they incur even MORE losses against them. In fact, part of the reason why Misty and Brock came back in SM was suspected to be due to a similar twitter outrage over their being excluded from Movie 20. And besides, unlike with prior regions, this is literally going to be the first annual league for that region. Having him lose that, especially when that league is literally the first one of the region, would actually reflect VERY badly on him, and would likewise cause an even WORSE outrage than the Kalos events. I know if I were the writers, I'd make sure Ash wins the current league, even if it means the end of the show, because I'd be deathly afraid of incurring another viewer outrage via Twitter if I did otherwise.

And if they're going to continue the show even if Ash wins the league (and let's face it, he'd still need to face the Elite 4 and Champion before he can come close to achieving his goal anyways, and if he can continue his journey despite winning the Orange Islands league and the Battle Frontier, the latter of whom had trainers comparable to the Elite 4 if not rivaling them in skillsets, he most certainly can continue his journey if he wins a league), they'll need to focus on making sure Ash receives loads of development as well. XY gave him some development on that front, so it's not impossible. Heck, even AG at least did some development for him by actually ATTEMPTING to take people under his wing. One of the ways to ensure that development is to actually have his dad debut, period. And don't claim they took too long. Don't forget that Brock's mom took nine years since her first mention to debut in the main series (and the dub even implied that she was dead), and even Jessiebelle got an encore appearance over a decade after her initial debut during DP. If they can bring those guys back/debut them (and they weren't even fan favorites anyway), them bringing Ash's dad in isn't impossible at all. Sure, maybe improbable, but then again, Jessiebelle reappearing in Sinnoh wasn't exactly probable either.

I'd love to see Ash get demolished by the Elite four or even a champion. if Tobias can't even defeat the Elite four with legendaries, what kind of chance would Ash have. There could be a great arc about him completely doubting his skills as a trainer, even after winning the league, and if it was even worth all the time he has put into it (Looking at his failures)

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'd love to see Ash get demolished by the Elite four or even a champion. if Tobias can't even defeat the Elite four with legendaries, what kind of chance would Ash have. There could be a great arc about him completely doubting his skills as a trainer, even after winning the league, and if it was even worth all the time he has put into it (Looking at his failures)

Wait, where was it ever confirmed that Tobias lost against the Elite 4/Champion?

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Wait, where was it ever confirmed that Tobias lost against the Elite 4/Champion?

Two things:

1. We never found out how Tobias did against the Sinnoh E4. He was never even mentioned again after the Sinnoh League iirc.
  2. Ash just doesn't get long development arcs these days, much less ones where he's shown moping. I think the last time anything remotely close to that happened in the past decade was when he lost to Wulfric in XY and began doubting himself, and even then he snapped out of it in one single episode.

Actually there is solid evidence. As we know, Cynthia makes an appearance in Unova, and at that time she was still champion in the Sinnoh region, which we can only conclude then that Tobias lost against either an elite four member or against Cynthia herself.

Last edited:

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Yeah you're right, I should've been more specific with my statement and mentioned Cynthia as well not just the Elite four.

As for Ash, I don't know. He may have a chance if he actually bothered brining back some of his old companions, but with each new team he gets I doubt he could ever beat a champion.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
I feel like its part of the show honestly, of Ash not having a father. I don't think anything was ever mentioned in the anime of Ash having father (correct me if I am wrong please, i havent seen too much of the anime)

I would however love to see where he gets his childish actions from though. Certainly not from his mother, maybe it was. But the caringness and loving for pokemon, is what i wanna see who he got it from honestly.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I feel like its part of the show honestly, of Ash not having a father. I don't think anything was ever mentioned in the anime of Ash having father (correct me if I am wrong please, i havent seen too much of the anime)

I would however love to see where he gets his childish actions from though. Certainly not from his mother, maybe it was. But the caringness and loving for pokemon, is what i wanna see who he got it from honestly.

Well, the anime DID make a brief mention of his dad, back in the second episode of the series where he, while down in the dumps, basically called his mom. Delia referenced his father twice, namely his being the apple of his father's eye, and also with the soaring Spearow bit. In fact, the Dub actually gave twice as many mentions compared to the Japanese version which mentioned him exactly once with the eye apple comparison (the soaring Spearow analogy was actually in reference to his grandpa).

FlameChrome

Years
Well, the anime DID make a brief mention of his dad, back in the second episode of the series where he, while down in the dumps, basically called his mom. Delia referenced his father twice, namely his being the apple of his father's eye, and also with the soaring Spearow bit. In fact, the Dub actually gave twice as many mentions compared to the Japanese version which mentioned him exactly once with the eye apple comparison (the soaring Spearow analogy was actually in reference to his grandpa).

good to know, thanks

Guest123_x1

I have a feeling that the identity of Ash's real father is something that we will never be 'officially' allowed to know.

Even at that, though, if there is such a revelation, I've long believed that it'd take a similar form to when Darth Vader revealed to Luke Skywalker that he was in fact his father (which happened in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back).

Last edited:

FlameChrome

Years
I have a feeling that the identity of Ash's real father is something that we will never be 'officially' allowed to know.

Even at that, though, if there is such a revelation, I've long believed that it'd take a similar form to when Darth Vader revealed to Luke Skywalker that he was in fact his father (which happened in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back).

Like I said before, I feel it's part of the story. That we don't know who his father is. If they had plans of revealing his father. They probs thought about it in Kanto then forgot all about it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 20, 2020
What's with this discussion? The anime showrunners made it clear they don't care about making a good Pokémon anime, so they're never going to reveal anything about Ash's dad.

You'd all best quit watching the anime if you haven't already.

FlameChrome

Years
What's with this discussion? The anime showrunners made it clear they don't care about making a good Pokémon anime, so they're never going to reveal anything about Ash's dad.

You'd all best quit watching the anime if you haven't already.

ok first you could have said that nicer, secondly even if the father isnt going to be revealed, its got other good things. you shouldnt stop watching just because of that.

Back