• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are dittos face not transforming normal?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2022
    Back in indigo league duplica (idk how to spell) has a ditto who couldn't fully transform itself as the face is still the same. Then team rocket successfully made it's face transform. In sun and moon, other dittos couldn't transform their face.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I remember someone in the staff mentioned this (buuuut I forgot who, sob, I follow a couple of animators on twitter), but it was backwards-adapted from that anime episode due to its popularity!
    Basically, Ditto used to transform pretty much perfectly. Then, there was that anime episode you mentioned with Duplica's first problem Ditto (her second problem Ditto shows up in Johto and transforms while staying Ditto-sized!).

It's just that Ditto-faced transformations were so cute, they started being included in merchandise...
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ditto_Collection
    ... and I guess it became a new standard, and after being backwards adapted from the anime to game-based merch/the rest of the franchise, it was re-adapted from there into the Sun & Moon anime, just because it's so popular and CUTE.

It also helps to make transformed or disguised characters clear to the child audience--just like how Team Rocket's disguises are easy for the viewers to see through (so we still know who we're looking at 99% of the time), while in-universe, they're not supposed to be THAT easy to recognize (except when... they are... in that case, it's just everybody having a less-than-brilliant moment)... you see the same stuff in other kid's media, like 90's Sailor Moon (Zoisite and Venus' Sailor Moon disguises were treated as VERY CONVINCING in-universe, but... Zoisite has such small, green eyes and Venus/Minako's hair is SO POOFY and short compared to Sailor Moon's long and flat-lying hair!).

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • idk if they said it in the english version, but in the japanese version of the sumo ditto ep they mentioned at the end that some ditto are better at transforming than others, and the one they were chasing just happened to not be very good at changing its face :]

Back