• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Species of Pokemon you'd like to see in the future

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Dolphin is the first one that came to mind...

I'd also like a better menacing firefly Pokemon (maybe a Fire/Flying Pokemon and a Electric/Bug Pokemon that somewhat resemble fireflies, due to the terms "firefly" and "lightning bug"? And now that I think of it, you could throw in a Dragon/Flying dragonfly-looking Pokemon, too :P), or see Volbeat's stats considerably boosted to where it's not overpowered but is viable as something other than a Baton Passer...

Before Generation 6, I would probably have suggested a "T-Rex Pokemon", but Tyrunt and Tyrantrum have finally fulfilled that wish! ^^

Saber-toothed tiger would be nice, but I guess Raikou satisfies that role for me, for now... A Manticore Pokemon would be interesting; I would like Pyroar to someday receive a "Manticore"-based Mega Evolution, as was heavily rumored during XY's pre-release period...

Oh, and I would love a Ghost (maybe Normal/Ghost?) elephant Pokemon, so that one of the earliest portmanteaus that I ever made up (Elephantom, from elephant + phantom) is finally realized as a Pokemon... ^^ And a ferocious scythe-wielding bipedal elephant (maybe with missile-firing tusks; just thought of that now XD) just reeks of appeal, IMO.)

Okay had a much longer post, but my net shat out and deleted it, going more succinct this time.
Camel,Sea Pig,Koala,Dolphin,Pygmy Marmoset, Saber Tooth Cat,Narwhal, Whip Scorpion, Scorpion Fly, Poodle Moth, Goblin Shark, Scorpion Fish.
Just off the top of my head.

Great list; I love all of those "compound-word" animal names kind of contrast with each other; they seem like they could make very intriguing Pokemon. :P Reminds me of the cool term "pistol shrimp", although I think Clawitzer has that base covered...?

It'd be nice to see a Pokémon based off dolphin. I would love it, as I find dolphins to be extremely cute. Just hope that they don't make its design look bad intentionally. xD" I'd like to see a platypus Pokémon as well. Bibarel looks sort of like a platypus (due to its tail), but not quite.

Platypi Pokemon FTW!

Pretty surprised there hasn't been a chess based family to be honest, could be steel/ghost perhaps have two slightly different families, the black pieces would be steel/dark, and the white pieces could be steel/fairy(light). Other cool ones would be a water drop/rain drop Pokemon that would be water/ghost.
Finally one that I would love to see especially as a new starter family would be a fire/poison line based off a raptor.

-edit-
I dunno why i said pawn based instead of chess based, what I get for being up at 3 am I suppose.

A Chess-based Pokemon species would be quite interesting (would've made much more sense if such a thing was introduced when Pokemon Black and White Versions came about)... Pawniard and Bisharp seem to merely reference chess mostly just because of their names and clear-cut hierarchy, so I don't think there would be too much overlapping.. Black and white (or vice versa) could be used as normal and shiny colorations, although I would prefer it if one version had the black-colored chess pieces while the other version had the white-colored chess pieces... The shiny colors could possibly be red and blue (let's face it; these days, if the monochrome "black vs white" isn't getting paired for stylistic purposes, it's likely going to be "red-vs-blue" due to the ever-present "Fire vs Water" trend.. Not to mention that the two colors got paired in North America.. :P)? Or maybe blue-vs-orange or purple-vs-gold for aesthetic Rule of Cool...

The Water/Ghost raindrop Pokemon (maybe involves refracting Light-based moves or something?) and Fire/Poison raptorial Pokemon seem have potential..

Hmm, hard to come up with anything that hasn't already been used (and would make a cool Pokemon). I don't think there's a peacock Pokemon yet? Could be wrong. I think that would look neat. Fairy/Flying, perhaps.

Some people suggest that Ho-Oh derives inspiration from the peacock due to its luminous and multi-colored display of feathers... It satisfies the "peacock" requirement enough for me, and plus, a fire-breathing Phoenix-like peacock just oozes of awesomeness. :P

What I want? A platypus. A freaking platypus. I loooove them!
Also, the chess evolution, as darkredwing said, would be cool.
Another one? A time travelling pokemon shaped like a clock. I mean, they HAVE made a magnet, a pokeball, a keyring....

That would be interesting, although I'm personally hoping we don't get more time-travel Pokemon because both Celebi and Dialga tread in that domain, and I dislike it when unique legendaries get their powers/associations shared by another legendary that comes down the line.. (I feel that Dialga can manipulate time easier, as in accelerating, decelerating, or reversing it, while Celebi can hop between spread-apart points in time easier... but that's another discussion. XD)

The first things that come to mind are:

Mechanical steel-type Pokemon, Koala, Platypus (or another native Australian animal, like a Quokka) and a fawn. Deerling's design just wasn't very creative in my opinion, so I'd like to see a new one! Perhaps part fairy-type, and based off of some aspect of the woodland, like a toadstool! <3

Koala Pokemon would be cool... Deerling's/Sawsbuck's designs are fine for me, though. I thought Foonguss/Amoonguss was supposed to be a toadstool..? (I'm equating "toadstool" as synonymous with "mushroom", although I'm guessing "toadstool" may have other meanings...)

Cheetah, Ibex, Snow Leopard, Goblin Shark, Mastodon, Carnotaurus, Wolf, Smilodon, Moose, Wolverine, Dolphin, Orca, Manatee, Secretary Bird, Honey Badger, Hammerhead Shark, Ostrich, Warthog, Wildebeest, Gazelle, Aardvark, Lynx, Oryx, Megatherium, Komodo Dragon, Red Panda, Koala, Thylacine, Peafowl, Tiger, Jaguar, Dromeosaurid, Lemur, Styracosaurus, Mandrill, Gorilla, Okapi, Narwhal, Musk Ox, Dimetrodon, Wombat, Stegosaurus, Flamingo, Ankylosaurus, Glyptodont.

All of that taken from Zoo Tycoon 2. I'm surprised none of the above animals have been made into Pokemon yet!

Wow; we don't have a Gorilla Pokemon? Strange.. Unless I'm forgetting one.. XD

I think Spinda kind of resembles/alludes to the red panda, mostly due to its coloration... I thought Dodrio was the "ostrich Pokemon", though..? XD (its name, while nice/clever, is a bit misleading in terms of design origin, especially with Dodrio IMO...)

Ho-Oh, as I mentioned earlier, may fit the "peafowl/peacock" role for some people...

Tiger is debatable; I guess some Pokemon that derive inspiration from that might be Growlithe (more like a tiger cub), Arcanine (although that's kind of a weird yet cool lion/tiger/dog hybrid, with the dog part being moreso in personality/tactics/usage by Officer Jenny in the Pokemon anime), and Raikou (let the "Legendary dog vs Legendary cat wars" commence!). I like the term "Legendary Dog" merely because it sounds cooler and I refer to Raikou as such, but Raikou fits the tiger role for me, as well as Arcanine.. :P

I don't think they've made a fly Pokémon yet. I guess a narwhal or a swordfish would be pretty cool as maybe a water/fighting or water/steel type. They've done octopus, maybe have a Kraken of some kind. Haven't done a Pegasus, yet.

I did have the idea of a possessed suit of armour being ghost/steel or ghost/dark, but with the Pawniard and Honedge lines it's fairly covered. Would be cool to have more Steel type combos, although they're a little OP. (Steel/Ghost has no 4x weaknesses, two 2x weaknesses, four normally damaging, seven 0.5x resistances, one 0.25x resistance and three immunities. Wow.)

To be honest, there are few things left where it can't be argued they've covered in some way.

"Kraken" reminds me of Gyarados's "Skulkraken" beta name, although I guess Tentacruel fits "kraken" enough for me (depending on what one thinks a kraken should look like)..

A Fly Pokemon would be awesome as an "annoyer Pokemon", as well as a Mosquito Pokemon, with both being comically annoying yet eerily deadly in their own rights in real life. But seriously, flies and mosquitoes rival each other as the two most annoying animals in real life (with incessantly-barking-for-no-reason dogs not far behind..). XD

Those Steel/Ghost statistics are just...wow. o_O

A pegasus would be wonderful. Flying/Fairy type!

If Rapidash doesn't get a flying unicorn/pegasus Mega Evolution, I could settle for that type combination.. :P (although Togekiss annoys me already with its retcon typing in XY..)

A Swordfish, an Earthworm? Those would make for good pokemon I believe.

This.

Devising Fakémon but not being talented enough to illustrate them is a hobby of mine, this is my perfect thread!

• I'd like to see an Electric/Fairy-Type based on the ball lightning phenomenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning),maybe it could even fill the Mew niche! Rotom seems at least partly based on this though, so there's a chance of it being a bit redundant...

• On that ball lightning note, I'd certainly enjoy a Legendary trio based on some of the creepier cryptids. My favorite thing about Pokémon like Cacturne and Banette is that they're legitimately haunting, they have urban legends and such about them, but it never really comes into play in the actual game, it's all just Poké Dex flavor... A trio of a Dark/Fairy Hopkinsville Goblin, a Dark/Bug (or Dark/Flying?) Mothman, and a Dark/Ground Mongolian Death Worm, if provided with enough mystery and alien enough designs, would properly fulfill that freak factor! Of course, like with Rotom above, Sableye already takes cues from the Hopkinsville Goblin, so they'd have to stretch the design a bit to keep it distinct...

• One of my earliest ideas for a Pokémon, like back during Generation III when I was shorter and chubbier and stupider, was for like an Electric/Steel-Type snake Pokémon that looks like some kind of electrical cable and charges energy by stiffening itself during thunderstorms a la a lightning rod... Actually, that's pretty clever, pat on the back to little me!

Okay so now I'm like getting a whole bunch of ideas, I'll need to come back here!

Rotom fits the "ball lightning" role enough for me, but the other ideas have potential.. That "electric-cable snake Pokemon" sounds quite cool.

Well, so long as we're on the topic of electric types, I've always wanted to see them make an Electric/Grass-type. (Screw you, Mow Rotom. You suck!) I actually tried making one myself once and giving it the role as Grass starter in my rom hack, but that never really went anywhere...

Anyways, I also thought it'd be cool if there was an Ice/Bug type pokemon that was some form of beetle. You know, it's shell would be made of ice and such. Sort of like Paras and Parasect, but...less creepy... (I thought this is what Bergmite and Avalugg were supposed to be, but I was sadly disappointed.)

Yeah, I envision Rotom Mow Forme as a Grass/Ghost type more, so I'm still waiting for another Pokemon to fill the "Electric/Grass" niche. An "icy bug" Pokemon could be great to use..

Ooh! I could see this one as being based on like a tree struck by lightning, if that makes sense, like [S-HIGHLIGHT]a supercharged oak tree. Maybe something with bioelectricity.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

There are species of arctic insects out there, this one has basis, I wanna see it now!

That just sounds awesome, especially since it turns the tables for trees (normally helpless and sadly susceptible to lightning due to height). Maybe have something that involves it "bursting into fire" on occasion, since some wildfires are caused by lighting strikes...?

The original concept for the Electric/Grass type was named Zapling. It was a tiny roaming plant pokemon that attached it's roots to transformers and power plants to give itself energy. It could cause city wide power outages when groups of them fed.

It's evolution was named Rosurge. It absorbed electromagnetic waves from electronics and used them to give itself energy. The more waves it absorbed, the bigger and brighter it's petals would be. At night, it would glow while it released it's excess energy.

The final evolution was called Kilowood and was basically exactly what you described in your comment! After being struck by lightning, the tree began to fall apart, but the electricity created a magnetism that held it together, kind of like Megneton and the like!

Whoa, I really like that! So Zapling (love the name) would have like little plug-roots?

"Zapling" just sounds adorable, especially with cute little "plug roots"! ^^ Rosurge is nice, too. I feel like the Kilowood evolution/name (from kilowatt and wood, I'm presuming) stage is fine, but I think like it could have a more-menacing name or something.. "Kilowood" just makes me thing of a log/really big piece of wood (since the kilo- prefix can be used by itself) without implying the electrical aspect of such a Pokemon.

If they would do a mega evolution for Rapidash, and do a pegasus-like thing. That would be amazing!

This!

See? That makes so much more sense! Also, I always wanted to see a Dragon/Bug Legendary. I don't know, I thought it'd be cool. :/ S'what I thought Zygarde was, but nope. 6th Gen is just a whole world of disappointments and surprises.

Same here, regarding the Dragon/Bug legendary Pokemon! Even a regular non-legendary Pokemon with Dragon/Bug typing would be fine with me.. It's like Game Freak is persistent in making Pokemon that look like Dragon/Bug but aren't (namely, Flygon, Yanmega, and Giratina, all of which could easily pass for Dragon/Bug in my opinion, although at least Flygon and Giratina have very intriguing typings!).

Also, I think you described my hard-to-articulate feelings about Generation 6 perfectly..

For the most part, yeah. Zapling has little plug roots and resembles a sunflower, then somehow becomes a rose, and finally evolves into a tree...Yeah, not the most logical evolutionary line.

@Iwasapony25: Pegasus Rapidash? F*** YEAH!

The evolutionary line you suggested may be illogical, but I think it works fine for the purposes of this Pokemon (and makes each stage nicely distinct from the other ones), and the Rule of Cool principle is already hard at work here (as your descriptions sounded very cool), so I don't mind at all. :P

^ I agree that a pegasus would be wonderful.

I personally would like a better lion pokemon. Lions are one of my favorite animals, but I wasn't all that impressed with Pyroar. Also maybe like a lemur? I like lemurs :) And more dog pokemon, I love most of the dog-like pokemon.

Hm, I think Entei, Litleo, and Pyroar (and even Growlithe and Arcanine) satisfy the "lion" role for me.. Entei seems more majestic and fitting as lions are, while Pyroar has less ambiguity to its origin, IMO..

Every time someone mentions lemurs in this thread, I imagine a Zoboomafoo-looking Pokemon... XD (Internet high-five to anyone reading this who watched that PBS Kids show..) Still, lemur Pokemon would be great.

I would love a dolphin Pokemon! I also want a better anglerfish Pokemon. I like Lanturn but I think it's too cute to be an anglerfish. And goblin shark would be terrifying... I want it! I xiphias (swordfish) would be awesome too!

With sea creatures out of the way, I want a lynx Pokemon so bad. And a wombat. And an ocelot. And an opossum. And a wallaby. And a pika (not Pikachu, and actual animal :P).

Lanturn fits "anglerfish" enough for me (that anglerfish in the movie Finding Nemo was cool yet creepy XD)... Watch when Mega Lanturn's design comes about and instills terror in the hearts of up-and-coming Trainers everywhere.. XD These animals have potential, though. I feel like a Lynx Pokemon needs to be made heavily distinct from all the other cat Pokemon we have, though..

SnailCandy

Bass Dropper
Years
I feel like the Kilowood evolution/name (from kilowatt and wood, I'm presuming) stage is fine, but I think like it could have a more-menacing name or something.. "Kilowood" just makes me thing of a log/really big piece of wood (since the kilo- prefix can be used by itself) without implying the electrical aspect of such a Pokemon.

That's a good point.. Hmmm. :/ Chlorophlux, Willowatt...I can't find any good names...I could just go with the obvious and name it Electree. :P

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
That's a good point.. Hmmm. :/ Chlorophlux, Willowatt...I can't find any good names...I could just go with the obvious and name it Electree. :P

Willowatt sounds perfect!

I think that as long as they're distinct enough, there's nothing wrong with two Pokémon sharing the same inspiration, like Seismitoad and Poliwrath or Foongus and Shroomish, or the ever-recurring birds and butterflies... Course, that's no excuse for forgoing creativity.

On another note, is there any thread for brainstorming new moves?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
I want wolves! Or at least A wolf. There are so many foxes (Eevee, Fennekin and Vulpix, Zorua) and a hyena (Poochyena) but not a wolf. Just any kind of wolf will do. :I

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 19, 2013
I would like to see creepier pokemon, like something made entirely out of bones.

Years
I'd like to see a koala-based Pokemon like Fenyx said, hopefully it might be Normal/Fighting or something (I'd like to see something non-legendary with that type). Generation 7, please answer my prayers!

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I'd like to see either a dolphin Pokémon or....a chimera Pokémon.

Pokémon fans wanted a dolphin Pokémon since...I don't know when but it must be a long time ago.
A chimera Pokémon being wanted is....not mentioned. I don't know why but it would be awesome!

Blayze

Team Magma Co-Leader
Years
If they would do a mega evolution for Rapidash, and do a pegasus-like thing. That would be amazing!

Back when the original 151 came out, my brother and I made an pegasus evolution for Rapidash.
It had bat-like wings and we called it Charcolt, though I suppose it would work just as well being Mega Rapidash!

I need to re-draw Charcolt - it's been years!

As for what new kinds of species I'd like to see...

Moose
Stegosaurus
Some kind of Raptor
Maybe something based off a Naga
Sea Urchin

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
I'd like to see a koala-based Pokemon like Fenyx said, hopefully it might be Normal/Fighting or something (I'd like to see something non-legendary with that type). Generation 7, please answer my prayers!

All this koala talk gives me a strange idea! Perhaps leveling up the koala Pokémon with some sort of tree Pokémon could result in some sort of hybrid evolution, a la Mantyke and Remoraid or (in theory, not gameplay) Slowpoke and Shellder! Does that make sense?

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Ugh, so many...
  • Geladas ~ Maybe a Ground- or Grass-Type, or Fighting-Type
  • Secretarybirds ~ Flying-Type, of some sort
  • Red pandas ~ I don't care what type it is: it just has to happen. I mean, how is this not a Pokémon yet???
  • Orangutans ~ Could be a Fire/Grass-Type or something cool like that
  • Aye-ayes ~ Totally needs to be a Dark-Type, maybe Dark/Ghost or something
  • Aardwolves ~ Could be a Ground-Type, or Electric maybe
  • Japanese spider crabs ~ Obviously a Water-Type, duh
  • Nue ~ Maybe Dark-Type, or possibly Poison
  • Kakapo ~ Could maybe evolve into a Kea or something.
  • Egyptian vultures ~ They're just cool. Period.
  • Dodos ~ Could be something interesting like a Ghost/Flying-Type
  • Florida horse conches ~ Look up better pictures on Google, Wikipedia doesn't do it justice
  • Mantis shrimps ~ Could be something like a Water/Fighting-Type
  • Bokors (Vodou sorcerers) ~ Could be a Psychic/Ghost-Type or something, which would be awesome. Can't you totally just see it using Curse as its signature move?

Those are just the ones that immediately come to mind that I'd like to see. There are many more. I might mention more as I think of them.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 12, 2014
I'd honestly like to see a Koala, a Dolphin or even a Tiger (There's Raikou I guess but one that isn't a legendary or something.)

Years
c-roach
bedbug
whiptail scorpion
flying spider
pegasus OR winged unicorn
computer "virus"
baby Vulpix BEFORE its tail becomes six tails
ghostly bonfire with a floating acoustic guitar

Ranx

Baadshah :P
Years
I would like to see a better big lion a legendary one :) !
luxray is not much of a lion for me :P

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I'd like to see variety in already existing species to be honest. The majority of them right now are kind of plain and based on simple creatures, but I think that's forgetting that there's a huge exotic bunch of varieties. Like, thinking of a spider, why not one of those rare species of spiders rather than a normal common spider?

They've done it some times, but I'd really like them to explore on that.

Years
I had this idea recently.. a new Fossil Pokemon. Instead of it being a dinosaur or something, how about a prehistoric Pikachuesque type critter? Rock/Electric? Is there even such a thing?... I mean, I would love to see Fossil Pokemon actually be like.. the fossils of the Pokemon.. sort of like a Pre-Evolution, but completely separate.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
- A cheetah Pokemon that's not that thing -->
510.png

- A Komodo Dragon Pokemon
- A Normal/Ghost type zombie Pokemon (Its design would probably be more stylistic, instead of having blood and guts coming out, because - you know - kid's game. Kinda like how Garbodor is a pile of garbage without actually looking like a realistic pile of garbage).
- Missingno. becoming an official Pokemon!

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
I would love to see a Whale Shark, Sword Fish, Snapping Turtle, Pegasus, Stegosaurus, and a komodo dragon. I love reptile, lizard, dragon, sword like pokemon. I want the Snapper to be a single stage thats Ground and Water, the Komodo to be either a fire/dragon starter or a two stage pokemon with a samurai theme, and the Stegosaurus to be a fossil thats Grass/Rock. I'm crossing my fingers that these three will be in Gen 7

Back