• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Built Around Mega Gardevoir

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2014
    For previous generations I have been able to successfully create a competitive team, but with generation VI, I have reached a mental lock. I cannot seem to find a good team that revolves around Mega Gardevoir thus I would truly appreciate the help. As of now, I only have Gardevoir on my list. I'd greatly appreciate any help that is given to me.

282.png
    mega282.png
    282-m.png

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
    Ability: Synchronize/Pixilate
    Nature: Timid
    252 SpA/252 Spe/4 SpD
    - Hyper Voice Moonblast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psychic
    - Calm Mind/Focus Blast/Energy Ball

I chose Hyper Voice over Moonblast simply because of Pixilate. Pixilate allows Hyper Voice to become a Fairy typed attack and provides more damage than Moonblast. Shadow Ball acts as my coverage to Ghosts and to take down other OUs such as Alakazam. Psychic will act as my coverage to any Poison types and will serve as a good attack overall. The fourth attack is controversial. If I run Calm Mind, I risk the chance of being one hit KO'd due to Gardevoir's weak Defense. Going with Focus Blast will help me take down the pesky Steel types which I believe will rise due to Fairy types. Last I am considering Energy Ball for an unknown reason... Perhaps coverage for something unexpected?

Like I said above, I'd greatly appreciate any help. Please and thank you!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Note that Hyper Voice isn't available for Gardevoir yet (wait till Poke Transfer). You'll have to make do with Moonblast as Gardevoir's Fairy STAB. Pixilate also has the bonus of giving Fairy moves 30% more power, so Moonblast will still be stronger than Hyper Voice.

Scizor hard-counters Gardevoir as a Bullet Punch easily ends its sweep. A Fire Pokemon like Blaziken helps against it:
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick
    -Stone Edge/Protect/Baton Pass
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Speed Boost

or
    -Fire Blast
    -High Jump Kick
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
    -Protect
    Nature: Rash
    EVs: 64 Atk/192 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost

Azumarill poses a problem to both Pokemon (it can potentially take out both Gardevoir and Blaziken with priority Aqua Jet), so Ferrothorn is a good counter to it:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed/Thunder Wave
    -Gyro Ball/Power Whip
    -Stealth Rock/Gyro Ball/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 SDef or 252 HP/200 Def/56 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs

Last 3 slots will be up to you.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Online now
    I chose Hyper Voice over Moonblast simply because of Pixilate. Pixilate allows Hyper Voice to become a Fairy typed attack and provides more damage than Moonblast.

No it doesnt, Moonblast has 95 base power with a chance to lower special attack and Hyper Voice has 90 base power with no side effect. Moonblast is better.

Also Gardy is steel type bait so id suggest Magnezone to remove its counters with Magnet Pull.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    No it doesnt, Moonblast has 95 base power with a chance to lower special attack and Hyper Voice has 90 base power with no side effect. Moonblast is better.
    Hyper Voice and the other sound-based moves bypass Substitute actually. It really depends on what you prefer.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2014
    I seem to have been mistaken. My mind must have been somewhere else. I'll go with Moonblast after all. Substitute doesn't really worry me for now.

For my fire type, since Platinum recommended Blaziken, I was thinking about using Talonflame, Typhlosion, Volcarona, Chandelure, or Victini. I can see why Blaziken would be the best choice, but I fear that he'll be banned due to Speed Boost. I have access to all the Pokemon I mentioned (those currently unavailable will arrive when Poke Transfer comes out). Which one of those would best suit a team? To me, they all seem very viable in this generation.

I'll build the rest after some recommendations on my fire type. Once again, thank you for all your help fellas. I truly appreciate it.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Honestly, it depends on the rest of the team. First of all, you can take out Typhlosion - It's simply outclassed by almost everything RU and up. Victini and Chandelure could work in OU but I think Volcarona and Talonflame are your best bets here.

Both Volcarona and Talonflame are very good Pokemon - The former has incredible special attack, good speed, good STAB typing, and one of the best boosting moves in the game, Quiver Dance. A set commonly used is this -

Volcarona @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Timid/Modest nature
    252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
    -Quiver Dance
    -Bug Buzz
    -Fire Blast
    -Giga Drain

As for the latter, though the metagame is young, Talonflame looks very promising. It doesn't have the raw power of Volcarona, but it makes up for it in its base 130 Speed stat and its incredible ability, Gale Wing, which allows all flying type moves to have priority. A set I've been seeing a lot on Showdown is this -

Talonflame @ Life Orb/Flying Gem (Depending on if you want to use Acrobatics or Brave Bird)
    Jolly/Adamant nature
    124 HP, 252 Atk, 132 Spe
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Flare Blitz
    -Roost/Tailwind

The choice is yours, to be honest. Both Pokemon share disadvantages in Stealth Rock taking away 50% of their health upon switching in, so a spinner/something to use Defog/Magic Bouncer (Though Espeon is Psychic and Mega Absol won't work due to you already having a mega) is a must. Both Volcarona and Talonflame hate bulky Water types such as Rotom-W or Heatran, as well as Politoed setting up rain. There are, of course, ways around this with team composition. Personally I'd go for Talonflame simply because special walls will be a pain.

The Ferrothorn set Platinum recommended could definitely help with Water types, while Heatran (When Bank arrives) could potentially be beaten by a Water type of your own. Due to Volcarona and Talonflame hating Stealth Rocks, one very good idea for this is Starmie - It has access to Rapid Spin and great offensive coverage in BoltBeam and a Water move. A good set is this -

Starmie @ Life Orb/Leftovers
    Timid nature
    252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
    -Hydro Pump/Surf (Depends on your preferences)
    -Thunderbolt/Psyshock
    -Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin

This would work rather well for this team, though better if you choose Talonflame due to Chansey/Blissey.

Back