• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ideas & Feedback for BTB & Battle Server

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
For developing the skills of battlers-
I have read about a certain program known as "Battling 101"on smmogon forums.Here experienced battlers mentor noobs and help on every aspect of battling.They chat via skype or IRC(I don't know what's IRC,lol),
If you want more info check smogon!
I could have given you a link but I don't know if it's allowed!
Zekrom is correct. We don't have enough experienced battlers that are willing to tutor, but it's always something to consider in the future.

This is my first time posting in this forum as a whole so if I'm in the wrong place to propose this then please slap me on the wrist and scold me because I really don't know better:

<snip>
It's already planned! Runner-ups will also receive a good chunk of BP too.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
why are personal 'rant threads' and single-pokemon help threads approved lol. you want to rant? go to bcc, rants arent that helpful anyway :/ u need to discuss about a certain pokemon/need help on its moveset and stuff, go to bcc or moveset help and other questions, and they dont rly accept advice anyway.

seriously this is becoming rly annoying and the quality of posts in these threads are shit. 2cents

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Call me like you want, But if somebody makes a thread asking for help. And that person doesn't accept help... Well, That person needs a heads-up. Right? I tend to avoid helping a lot here on teams because, I noticed that much of the people who asks for help... They don't want help. And they're using awfull sets and teams, If I try to help. And then somebody says that Confuse Ray is a good move... Well um... Good luck scoring a kill.

How to solve it?. I think it's easy, Making a movesets guide. Or, Giving them a heads up.
"Hello user, Please when certain user wants to help with your bad team. Try to listen and don't go saying that your sets/pokemons are good, Unless you have a real reason. Thanks a lot". Something like that, I think?

In the long run, it's their team and they can deny as much help as they please. There really is nothing we can do about people not accepting the help being given to them--it's only natural for people to be adamant about their opinion. My advice? If they clearly aren't accepting help being given to them, then try to at least alter your response to suit the poster's needs, rather than trying to berate them for simply having personal preference.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
why are personal 'rant threads' and single-pokemon help threads approved lol. you want to rant? go to bcc, rants arent that helpful anyway :/ u need to discuss about a certain pokemon/need help on its moveset and stuff, go to bcc or moveset help and other questions, and they dont rly accept advice anyway.

seriously this is becoming rly annoying and the quality of posts in these threads are shit. 2cents
Thread approval hasn't been a thing in BTB for months.....

But you can always report those threads ya know.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Thread approval hasn't been a thing in BTB for months.....

But you can always report those threads ya know.
welp didnt know :p and the thing is these posts arent really breaking any rules, just plain dumb and stupid. no offense (okay maybe a little) but the posters themselves arent rly contributing anything and just posting shit thinking that they're right :/

Years
well if clan or leagues is gonna be a thing on the server, i think a clan/league script is good to start with.Ive seen some war script on some servers and indigo got the best script so far where It's gonna be clan 1 vs clan 2 in a specified tier of choice of both clans, and also recording their war logs. But indigo isnt open source so u might want to check this one https://github.com/kotarou3/Viridian-Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/clans.js . Not sure if this works but this will definitely give u a picture of how the war works.

Also forum donators should be given the right to sponsor a league/clan, and only sponsored leagues/clans be given access to a custom league/clan room. here's how i suggest it shud be
HF8Z5MV.png
sorry if im being random

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
@pixie: I might set up scripts for clans in the future. Thanks for letting me know. Though the forum will likely suit our needs just fine. We'll see.

@Mid: PC has taken a more lenient direction with its moderation by allowing threads that don't need to stringently follow the principles of discussions. As in, threads won't be closed because we don't foresee much discussion coming out of them. Regardless, mods aren't quality enforcers, the community is. Also, we allow team help threads regarding single Pokemon if they're intending to build a team with it ("Help Me Start" threads). Otherwise they belong in the movesets help thread.

How would you guys feel about a Pokemon of the Fortnight event? ~3 Pokemon are chosen for people to use and discuss every fortnight. Set up a poll for voting which is best (?). Any better way to go about it?

Syn suggested that I could interview battlers in the community, and ask them battling-related questions. Miiight be cool.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
Years
I wanted to bump this because I'm curious about how people think some of the things that have been posted over the last several months have been going, especially the team-building competition, the replay critique thread, PCL, etc.

Otherwise, I think that sri's threat list, which is almost done by the way, should be completed. wolf and zeffy, where will this go upon its completion?

I want to revisit the previous idea of interviews with battlers. It could use some fleshing out--I don't think it could function like PotW threads on Smogon do since we have so few really active competitive battlers--but I think this idea is onto something that could be nice.

Might it be useful to have a medium for players to produce content? I would never want anything approaching a webzine format, but I think having cool stuff to read--and the process of producing it--might be really cool. For example, "Chase and Christos tell ladder sob stories." I just want to maybe begin to plant the seeds of those types of things where, basically, we inform but also entertain each other. I think the interview thing could just be one of many things. Basically, I think we should give people a reason to want to come into the forum and see what's there.

Lastly, I still think that the replay thread is really low quality right now and could be repurposed and better organized to be more than a pit of despair. :(

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
@team building competition thread: I think that's it's a nice idea and all but I would kinda prefer it if we didn't vote on it and rather had someone who didn't enter the competition decide who the winner is and explain why the team they picked is the best of the ones submitted. Half the reason for the thing is for everyone to get better at team building and I feel like that's not happening. Usually when it's time to vote everyone (including myself) just kinda votes for whoever without giving any sort of reason and I think that basically defeats the whole purpose of the competition.

@replay critique thread: It's great that we have that since improving your in-battle skills is a major part of getting better. I suppose my only gripe is that I wish that more people would offer critiques/advice. If you look at the thread 95% of the work is done by Anti and I kinda don't think it's fair for him to do basically all the work. Though there's probably not much to be done about it since BTB's community is a little on the small side.

@PCL: We'll see where it goes from here now that the reboot is underway.....

@producing other content: Ya know, that could be part of this big social media overhaul/PC expansion thing we're gonna do eventually. At least more people would read the things that way than if it was just kept to BTB. Idk

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
This is probably a qualm with no resolution; but it feels hard to meld with the majority of the forum without being on Showdown / Battle server. There's great community, feedback, competition and etcetera right here, but it seems exclusive and segregated based on platform. And the majority if not the entirety of the good / reputable / active members are primarily showdown folks. Y'all are cool, I just wish the only available interaction wasn't strictly in "what is raticates secret" threads.

Is there a skype group, or something? :U

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I think that sri's threat list, which is almost done by the way, should be completed. wolf and zeffy, where will this go upon its completion?
All I can assure for now is that it will be linked in several stickies (specifically the resources thread and the simple questions thread) and the forum splash. There's already a clutter of stickied threads and adding a sticky that only applies to a certain portion of players seems arbitrary. Although, if wolf thinks otherwise then I'll gladly oblige!

I want to revisit the previous idea of interviews with battlers. It could use some fleshing out--I don't think it could function like PotW threads on Smogon do since we have so few really active competitive battlers--but I think this idea is onto something that could be nice.

Might it be useful to have a medium for players to produce content? I would never want anything approaching a webzine format, but I think having cool stuff to read--and the process of producing it--might be really cool. For example, "Chase and Christos tell ladder sob stories." I just want to maybe begin to plant the seeds of those types of things where, basically, we inform but also entertain each other. I think the interview thing could just be one of many things. Basically, I think we should give people a reason to want to come into the forum and see what's there.
This is something that I've been thinking of starting once the semester ends, actually. I think a couple of readable content is always nice, especially if it involves actual helpful stuff. I know you mentioned that you didn't want to approach the webzine format but what you defined here is basically a stripped-down form of it. :p I still think it's worth a try!

Lastly, I still think that the replay thread is really low quality right now and could be repurposed and better organized to be more than a pit of despair. :(
If wolf is okay with it, we can unstick the Battle Replays, Logs, & Videos thread and replace it with the arguably superior replay critique thread. That way, the thread is still available for users to post their smashing victories but at the same time there's another replay-posting thread that is actually helpful.

This is probably a qualm with no resolution; but it feels hard to meld with the majority of the forum without being on Showdown / Battle server. There's great community, feedback, competition and etcetera right here, but it seems exclusive and segregated based on platform. And the majority if not the entirety of the good / reputable / active members are primarily showdown folks. Y'all are cool, I just wish the only available interaction wasn't strictly in "what is raticates secret" threads.

Is there a skype group, or something? :U
The segregation can't be helped, sadly :( It's just that for most of us, the battle server is an easier form of conversation because it's almost always instant. I suppose if people are up for it, we can start a Skype group but I wouldn't count on it being very active.

btw raticate's secret is it's a big ass rat--nobody can mess with a big ass rat

Anti

return of the king
Years
@team building competition thread: I think that's it's a nice idea and all but I would kinda prefer it if we didn't vote on it and rather had someone who didn't enter the competition decide who the winner is and explain why the team they picked is the best of the ones submitted. Half the reason for the thing is for everyone to get better at team building and I feel like that's not happening. Usually when it's time to vote everyone (including myself) just kinda votes for whoever without giving any sort of reason and I think that basically defeats the whole purpose of the competition.

This seems very fair. I'll talk to wolf about it since he is running it now.

@replay critique thread: It's great that we have that since improving your in-battle skills is a major part of getting better. I suppose my only gripe is that I wish that more people would offer critiques/advice. If you look at the thread 95% of the work is done by Anti and I kinda don't think it's fair for him to do basically all the work. Though there's probably not much to be done about it since BTB's community is a little on the small side.

I don't mind pulling the weight of the thread at all.

That said, I would like to see other people contribute. I can already anticipate the "but I might say something wrong" reply, but I think replay advice can be just as helpful for the helper as the helped. When you think about others' mistakes, you naturally improve your own thought process. And if you say something "wrong," it's not some huge deal. Like, really. I am kind of uncomfortable with what I have perceived from the community as an impulse to leave critique and advice only to people who are "qualified" to do it, when a huge part of my personal growth as a player was giving bad advice and gradually improving it. (This isn't in reply to you--it just seemed relevant and I wanted to mention it.)

@producing other content: Ya know, that could be part of this big social media overhaul/PC expansion thing we're gonna do eventually. At least more people would read the things that way than if it was just kept to BTB. Idk

This sounds interesting though I can't say I grasp any of the specifics of what you mean. X)

All I can assure for now is that it will be linked in several stickies (specifically the resources thread and the simple questions thread) and the forum splash. There's already a clutter of stickied threads and adding a sticky that only applies to a certain portion of players seems arbitrary. Although, if wolf thinks otherwise then I'll gladly oblige!

That's fine.

This is something that I've been thinking of starting once the semester ends, actually. I think a couple of readable content is always nice, especially if it involves actual helpful stuff. I know you mentioned that you didn't want to approach the webzine format but what you defined here is basically a stripped-down form of it. :p I still think it's worth a try!

Just to be clear though, I was thinking of more like "BTB's Content thread" where, basically, it's just one giant archive of good stuff, like an RMT archive but for warstories, analysis, comedic content, whatever...just something to encourage people to actually post that stuff. :( I feel like anything where we were working at deadlines or trying to produce a more holistic product would be too ambitious and ultimately not a lot of fun, though.

I'm curious what you had in mind though since my idea was pretty nebulous, and what I just described above is all kinds of tentative so if yours is more developed (as I assume it is) I'd kinda like to hear about it if you don't mind. :o

If wolf is okay with it, we can unstick the Battle Replays, Logs, & Videos thread and replace it with the arguably superior replay critique thread. That way, the thread is still available for users to post their smashing victories but at the same time there's another replay-posting thread that is actually helpful.

This is just my view, but I would prefer mine isn't stickied either. I just think the current one is terrible. I don't want to be a snob about the quality of the battles, but when turn 3 forfeits and blind 6-0s are posted, it's just not a pleasant, entertaining, or informative thread. You could also keep it but with some sort of minimum quality standard, like "don't post noob battles, don't post early forfeits, don't post troll battles, don't post 15-turn 6-0s." Etc.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
That said, I would like to see other people contribute. I can already anticipate the "but I might say something wrong" reply, but I think replay advice can be just as helpful for the helper as the helped. When you think about others' mistakes, you naturally improve your own thought process. And if you say something "wrong," it's not some huge deal. Like, really. I am kind of uncomfortable with what I have perceived from the community as an impulse to leave critique and advice only to people who are "qualified" to do it, when a huge part of my personal growth as a player was giving bad advice and gradually improving it.
True.

This sounds interesting though I can't say I grasp any of the specifics of what you mean. X)
Honestly I don't know a lot of the details either since discussion about this has mostly moved to HQ where I can't see it, and it's all still in the early stages, but back in February Gav proposed that PC should expand its presence on social media and stuff (among other things), and all I was really thinking was that this content stuff could also be posted on PC's Facebook/Twitter/Google+/Youtube/etc pages in addition to the forum. It'd be more content that we have to post on social media, and more people seeing it would be better, yeah? Staff does want to integrate the battle server and BTB more into the community, so.....

This is just my view, but I would prefer mine isn't stickied either.
? Why don't you want it stickied?

Detox

I meant to post this a while ago, but I forgot. Oops. PCL seems to be running pretty smoothly since the reboot, but this is from someone who has no idea of what is going on behind the scenes. I can't say much else about it. Hopefully it keeps going at this pace or better.

Regarding the teambuilding competition, I can't say that I support the idea of disallowing participants the ability to vote. By doing this, you cut off a fair amount of total votes (and by that I mean most of them probably) and I am sure that we don't want this. I agree that voters should be required to put some sort of effort into explaining why they voted for the team they did, because as Nah said, this will only help others improve. However, I don't see why the participants should not be able to do both of these.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
At the above mentioned Skype group; that sounds like it has real potential to me, I already know of one group that exists where myself and at least 4 other BTB members are present, buuuuut- it's all a cartridge crowd who kinda already all know each other. :I It's used to set up practice battles usually and multi battles on the weekends, as well as chat but all the participants already all know each other for the most part.

If there's enough general community interest and presence on Skype, could somebody set an official-ish one up somehow/time?

Years
i would like to see kevin garrett's tourney [official pokecommunity tournament] brought back, maybe after the league if it is successful

Years
I dont think we will have any more to chat on skype then we do it on the battle server!

Also I wanted to say that though the PCL is running smoothly we still have an issue of dropouts or inactivity!Is it possible to make a certain rule that will make people at least finish their scheduled battle before dropping -out
Also we are still falling short in attracting people to pcl!
Also I suggest a fb group for us to attract people to battle server & pokecommunity.
I will give a example-The room johtoleagueshowdown before 4-5 months was completely deserted.But due to our fb connections we called many people to visit and have fun.So you can see it is now one of the most lively rooms on the server!

srinator

I dont think we will have any more to chat on skype then we do it on the battle server!

Also I wanted to say that though the PCL is running smoothly we still have an issue of dropouts or inactivity!Is it possible to make a certain rule that will make people at least finish their scheduled battle before dropping -out
Also we are still falling short in attracting people to pcl!
Also I suggest a fb group for us to attract people to battle server & pokecommunity.
I will give a example-The room johtoleagueshowdown before 4-5 months was completely deserted.But due to our fb connections we called many people to visit and have fun.So you can see it is now one of the most lively rooms on the server!

we have enough problems with people who are not actually a part of our community on the server as it is, + i don't like cheap advertising

Back