• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ideas & Feedback for BTB & Battle Server

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I kind of agree with sri that I'd rather not have us advertise the PCL too much on social media right now. At this point we have just enough members in the league and all we really need is a few more mercenaries and extra sign ups to fill the occasional drop out or person on LoA. Advertising the league on social media right now will most likely just attract those randoms that join and are like "omg league, so cool I wanna join!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!" and then are like never around. We want people who actually plan to be a part of the PokeCommunity and/or the battle server community.

I'm not opposed to using social media, but I think it'll be better to wait until hstaff has worked out more of the details for PC's social media expansion and stuff actually starts happening on that front.

i would like to see kevin garrett's tourney [official pokecommunity tournament] brought back, maybe after the league if it is successful
    Is this just like a standard official tournament or is there something more to it? I'm not sure what you mean

Years
  • I kind of agree with sri that I'd rather not have us advertise the PCL too much on social media right now. At this point we have just enough members in the league and all we really need is a few more mercenaries and extra sign ups to fill the occasional drop out or person on LoA. Advertising the league on social media right now will most likely just attract those randoms that join and are like "omg league, so cool I wanna join!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!" and then are like never around. We want people who actually plan to be a part of the PokeCommunity and/or the battle server community.

I'm not opposed to using social media, but I think it'll be better to wait until hstaff has worked out more of the details for PC's social media expansion and stuff actually starts happening on that front.

Is this just like a standard official tournament or is there something more to it? I'm not sure what you mean
    Zekrom I didn't said anything about pcl in that line where I suggest about the fb group.I said we should create a fb group/page to attract people to battle server and pokecommunity.There have been times when I have seen people complaining about the poor amt. of user turnout to the battle server!So I posted that idea.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Oh...thought that you were talking about PCL. Ignore my previous post then.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Regarding the teambuilding competition, I can't say that I support the idea of disallowing participants the ability to vote. By doing this, you cut off a fair amount of total votes (and by that I mean most of them probably) and I am sure that we don't want this. I agree that voters should be required to put some sort of effort into explaining why they voted for the team they did, because as Nah said, this will only help others improve. However, I don't see why the participants should not be able to do both of these.

This is reasonable, but I don't think that an explanation requirement entirely addresses Zekrom's concern. I think we need to post more accessible cores (first one was alright but the next two have been difficult/iffy I think), and I think it would really benefit the competition if there was some way to "put a ribbon" on each round, like summarizing it or in some way giving it a little more intellectual rigor so that it actually serves its purpose.

Otherwise, I've been thinking a lot lately about how there is nothing for our players to work toward. Like, when you look at Smogon, there is incentive to get better not just because of the ladder but because of their numerous competitions like WCOP, Smogon Tour, the various individual tournaments, etc. I think it would be kind of nice if we had at least a couple things like that, and I do plan to repost this tournament this summer. Thoughts?

Also, I don't want the replay thread as a sticky since, right now, it's basically my personal thread. If more people gave advice on a consistent basis, I'd be okay with it, but I don't want to have the pressure of giving analysis in a sticky.

Reactions: Nah
    Years
  • I kind of agree with sri that I'd rather not have us advertise the PCL too much on social media right now. At this point we have just enough members in the league and all we really need is a few more mercenaries and extra sign ups to fill the occasional drop out or person on LoA. Advertising the league on social media right now will most likely just attract those randoms that join and are like "omg league, so cool I wanna join!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!" and then are like never around. We want people who actually plan to be a part of the PokeCommunity and/or the battle server community.

yeah

[div="][/div]

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    - Hmm, could use post likes as a means for voting on teams in the Team Building Competition. Then have 1-3 judges discuss and decide the winner, but also take into account the post likes to get a general idea of what's the most popular team. Of course people could still post what team they like and why to influence the judges' decision. But they would be required to explain, because we'd have likes for simple voting.

- More events are always welcome. I'll definitely do some once I'm back in full swing. A simple OU tournament sounds great, though it wouldn't be quite the same as KG's. He was very well-known in Smogon and PokeBeach, so he was able to get a ton of people to join. It was more like a Smogon tournament hosted on PC, and I'm not sure if it'd be feasible to do again ourselves.

- I don't mind unstickying the replay thread, but I prefer to keep it there as a convenience. People aren't allowed to make individual threads for replays, videos, etc., so it makes sense to have an easy-to-find sticky thread for them. It'd be the first sticky to remove if we need more space. I think there could be a replay archive in the OP though. A list of good battles to watch.

- I put the threat list here with all of the other helpful content. I should probably organize the links into sections since the list is getting pretty long. x)

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • - Hmm, could use post likes as a means for voting on teams in the Team Building Competition. Then have 1-3 judges discuss and decide the winner, but also take into account the post likes to get a general idea of what's the most popular team. Of course people could still post what team they like and why to influence the judges' decision. But they would be required to explain, because we'd have likes for simple voting.

This is just me, but I tend to agree more with Zekrom's concern than Syn's on this. I don't see what the problem with ending voting is since no one seemed to care much about it. I would personally prefer a panel (I'm guessing you-me-Syn if he's interested?) to decide and then I can write the explanations. I like the team-building comp, but it would probably be better if it was more proactive in determining its winners and making clear why they won.

- More events are always welcome. I'll definitely do some once I'm back in full swing. A simple OU tournament sounds great, though it wouldn't be quite the same as KG's. He was very well-known in Smogon and PokeBeach, so he was able to get a ton of people to join. It was more like a Smogon tournament hosted on PC, and I'm not sure if it'd be feasible to do again ourselves.

I'll post the OU Tournament in late July again, just to keep it yearly as was its original intention.

Also, if I may nitpick again (sorry lol), I think that it would be more effective and would make the forum better if you actively tapped some of the better server members (including BSS) to do things. I think there is a culture of a lack of initiative that goes back to the Shoddy days and I think one way to improve it would be to maybe say "Hey there Reliable/Promising User Who Doesn't Post In BTB Much, I think it would be cool if you hosted an event! Here are some ideas if you don't have any." I think there have been some good events (Dave, Shawn, Syn, and Archer all hosted tours within the last 3-4 months), but I think that more would be great! I think it would help bind the server and forum a little tighter as well.

- I don't mind unstickying the replay thread, but I prefer to keep it there as a convenience. People aren't allowed to make individual threads for replays, videos, etc., so it makes sense to have an easy-to-find sticky thread for them. It'd be the first sticky to remove if we need more space. I think there could be a replay archive in the OP though. A list of good battles to watch.

One way to do it would be fun/funny/lighthearted replays in one thread (which I think would be superior if broadened to "funny battle moments/stories/replays" kind of thing) and a sticky for warstories and interesting replays in another. I wouldn't mind putting critique in the sticky too to override my current thread if the thread had other purposes. I hate being elitist about the replay stickies but it's just a postcount+++ spam/shitpile atm. ;(

Bring back warstories indeed. :( (To that point, if I did write a warstory, I would want to post it as its own thread since it's just going to get lost in the mess of the current thread, which I think discourages their creation.)

- I put the threat list here with all of the other helpful content. I should probably organize the links into sections since the list is getting pretty long. x)

Sounds good.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    i think everyone should do this and not just anti >:x

lol u dont even know what im talking about sri :( but i agree in general

Last edited:
    Years
  • Sooo.... I think there needs to be something that can improve quality of discussions (which certain people keep on whining about on the PS server) and still avoid the need for thread approval in the BTB forums.

I'd like to suggest that competitive team discussion be split into two subforums: On-cart Battling & Team Building (bulking up the In-Game Team Help subforum to contain Battle Spot and competitive play as well as E-4 team discussion) and Tiered Battling & Team Building. I feel this is a fair split and will discourage flammable topics.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • ^ I hadn't thought of it, and I recognize there's a potential overlap into the separate forums which include the specific titles in the main line of games, but I would think creating a section, a thread, or something for quote on quote 'casual' battling could contribute to sifting some of the toxic posts out of otherwise golden areas of BTB.

Think of it as instead of a ring of smogon players yelling at the nothing is broken kids to get out, a ring of nothing is broken kids yelling at each other over what raticate's secret really is.

At the very least, we could use a cartridge section or, something. Battle spot thread, or - I don't know. A split seems like a great idea to me though, really. I could tie my aforementioned issue into this as well, and bring up the potential in increasing social activity around here by instead of restraining hostility between members on completely different wavelengths within the same space, providing separate mediums within the btb forum for them to interact with a higher concentration of like-minded people to themselves in.

I would be so eager too, to find out exactly who else was interested in this - and even rally for it.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm not sure if a split would be that helpful. People will just look on the front page, realize that there's a battle section, see that people post their teams and then they decide to post their own team without checking if it's in the cartridge section or not, beforehand.

My problem is rather that people create threads and post their sets, but avoid the "elaborate what your team's supposed to do" portion of it, which leads to some people just posting like 20 different sets of every Pokemon and after that, chances are, the thread just dies down. Not sure, if there's anything that can be done about it; although, what actually happened to the "every thread must be approved" thing, that we had a while ago?

srinator

yes i agree, i would also want a better rmt format followed by people

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • ^ R.F.

Yeah; true. People who don't bother to check what's going on stilllll won't check what's going on heeeyyyyyeeeyaaaayyyeeyaaayeaah

But seriously; maybe just one of those tags like [Team Help] or [Group] that would distinguish cartridge from server thread things? Because people also neglect OP's that say plain and simple - "This team is going to be for battle spot singles." or "this team is going to be for the OU ladder." And I'm still for a split; but should that really not be an option I'm all for other alternatives that go the same direction.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I'd rather have the tags, tbh. Part of what has made team help so amenable in the last couple months for me has been clarifying preferred formats and intent. I team test on Showdown now (usually on Nugget Bridge but on the battle server every now and then), and with the exception of an occasional kerfuffle over generation-locked moves, event-exclusive Pokemon and why Smogon exists and who it applies to, I don't think the disagreements are usually big enough to warrant such exclusivity. Granted, some particular members take it too far - but I think we've adapted well enough to handle them.

I'm not exactly plugged in to the conversations our upper echelon have on the battle server, but there's no reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm of the mindset that the appeal of PokeCommunity is the diversity of our meta interests. If you want a place to talk about OU and Showdown exclusively, you can go to the Smogon forum. And if you're more interested in cartridge stuff, there's Marriland and Nugget Bridge. I come here for the melting pot experience, to get fresh ideas that aren't so firmly grounded in tropes and trends. So yeah, just my $0.02.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    A section split would not benefit us right now, I think. There just isn't enough activity in the forum right now for it to work. Thread tags are alright though, and I myself have been looking into doing that.

Sooo.... I think there needs to be something that can improve quality of discussions (which certain people keep on whining about on the PS server) and still avoid the need for thread approval in the BTB forums.
    Interesting you'd say that because I myself wouldn't consider the active discussions in the forum right now as lacklaster. If anything, they're an improvement from the discussions in the past year.

RMTs, now that's a different thing altogether.

Years
  • Okay, I'd like to see the server get cleaned up. There are quite a few rooms on the server that the room owner(s) have just abandoned, and as such, they aren't used at all. I really don't see the point of keeping these rooms, because they aren't going to benefit anyone on the server if they aren't of any use.

This brings me to my next point, the PCL room. I don't know if you're planning on using it in the future, but right now, it doesn't seem to have a purpose. We've gone through about 5 weeks of the PCL and this room has not had a use. There are also a lot of people who use the battle server who aren't participating in the PCL, so having them autojoin the PCL room when they have nothing to do with the league is kind of pointless in my opinion.

Years
  • Hermione Granger said:
    A section split would not benefit us right now, I think. There just isn't enough activity in the forum right now for it to work. Thread tags are alright though, and I myself have been looking into doing that.

How about a WiFi Team Help prefix then? Maybe it's necessary, maybe it's not, but it'd still be useful. (even though I don't really touch on either metascenes right now)

EDIT: I still think separate forums are best.

Last edited:
    Back