• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Arena: PvP Combat

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    The Arena

In the space between spaces, in a place that connects to all other places, a world that touches all other worlds... there is the Arena. The Arena is a place where warriors from any universe and all walks of life come to test their mettle, try new strategies, or just have fun bashing someone's head in. All are welcome, from the newest recruit to the most seasoned veteran, to engage in fights to the death. While in the Arena, everything is permitted and nothing is held back. Once a fight has concluded, the combatants are healed of all wounds, even being raised from the dead, and sent to the Tavern, where they can relax, get a drink, and even make new friends.

Gameplay

If you ever had an idea for a warrior, but wanted to test it first, why not try your idea in The Arena? The Arena is a roleplay for players who want to fight. Stories play a back seat in this roleplay to the high octane action scenes we want to create. If your character dies in combat he/she is not dead forever, and can be used again in another fight.

Sign ups will be simple affairs, to place more attention on the fights, but don't think you have to make mindless war machines (unless you want to)! The focus will be on action scenes, but if you want to make a story, with rivals and grudge matches, that's fine too.

Players can either challenge another player to a fight, or simply enter the arena and wait for a challenger. Once a fight has started, one player posts their actions and the effect it would have if it works. The other player then responds to the actions (either taking the hit or using a defensive option), then makes their own move. This goes back and forth until the a winner is decided and the fight is done. Whether you prefer back-and-forth posting or collaborating on a JP is left up to personal preference.

Sign-Up Sheet

Name:

Appearance: What your character looks like. Pictures are fine, but please include a short written description as well to indicate any differences to the picture. Include any armor or weapons they would wear.

Personality (optional): If you want to, let us know what your character is like.

Abilities: A general description of how your character fights. Whether it's a knight in shining armor and a variety of weapons, a martial artist who channels his ki energy into his attacks, or a wizard who casts magical spells, all styles are welcome!​

Rules

1. All RPT rules apply.
    2. The rating is M, so feel free to have as much or as little violence as you want. There will be blood, it might be yours, but try to keep it tasteful.
    3. Remember to play fair. This is a place for us to unwind and engage in combat, not for writing about an unstoppable juggernaut effortlessly defeating every opponent in one punch.
    4. If you're fighting, try to be active. Don't leave the other guy hanging if you can help it. Let the GM know if something comes up, and we'll work something out.
    5. If you're not in a fight, don't worry about it! You aren't required to post, and can jump back in at any time!
    6. Have fun!

Last edited:

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    I made one earlier this year. I'd love to see this happen, but you may want to expand the content beyond simply fighting and knowing why they're fighting.
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=359777&highlight=Project+storm - So, there's my idea in a nutshell, but I couldnt join this if it did happen
    I would love to join your RP in the Fight Club universe.

I should have used a better name for this Interest Check. I want to gauge if a person or group of people would like to have a roleplay where characters are just fighting until 1 faints or quits.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    Characters aren't fighting to the death? Unacceptable

I haven't thought much out other than fights and I have been debating between weapons, fist, and shonen style fights as well. Personally I would like to treat things like a fighting game where swords don't kill but give really bad ouchies unless it is the "final blow"

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • I haven't thought much out other than fights and I have been debating between weapons, fist, and shonen style fights as well. Personally I would like to treat things like a fighting game where swords don't kill but give really bad ouchies unless it is the "final blow"

lmao i was just messing with you. i don't know how much incentive people would have to join if their character died after one battle.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    I imagine the group being rather small up to 8 players at most. As for perma death. I don't care if characters die or stay dead. I'm also okay with official characters from all media fighting like one minute melee or death battle.

One character I thought of using is a swords man who fights blind folded. If he was killed I wouldn't care very much. I also would love to use this opportunity to practice writing action scenes on a consistent basis.

Years
  • I've seen a similar concept on another site. It was one of the first RP's I joined, almost ten years ago. It was merely called "The Arena", and players could introduce new characters or bring in characters from other threads, having them fight to the death in a gladiator arena. After the fight, the magic of the arena healed all wounds and brought slain warriors back from the dead. This allowed for no holds barred, anything goes combat with no repercussions. If magic isn't your thing, and you prefer sci-fi, you could say it's a virtual simulation instead.

As I said, it's been almost ten years, and the site closed down long ago, so I don't remember everything. But if this is closer to your goal, I'd be happy to share what I remember, and we can fill in the gaps where needed.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    As I said, it's been almost ten years, and the site closed down long ago, so I don't remember everything. But if this is closer to your goal, I'd be happy to share what I remember, and we can fill in the gaps where needed.

I would love to hear what you remember because this is exactly what I am going for.

Years
  • Alright, I'll see what I can do.

As stated, there was an IC thread solely for fights, with no OOC. A player's first post would include a short SU, followed by the character making their entrance. Characters would meet in an informal tavern to interact (which eventually became its own separate thread), and players could either challenge another player to a fight, or simply enter the arena and wait for a challenger. Once a fight had started, one player would post their actions and the effect it would have if it worked. The other player would then respond to the actions (either taking the hit or using a defensive option), then make their own move. This went back and forth until the fight was done. To keep the flow of combat, other players were discouraged from posting until the fight was done. Thus, the Tavern thread was started so players could keep interacting, setting up future fights or merely spectacting and commenting on the fight.

It was a different level of organization than we're used to, with all characters accepted and an honor system which didn't always work. It was purely for fun and to test combat options or improve your writing skills. There was a GM who would monitor things, and only step in if one player was god modding or not playing fair, and even then he was fairly relaxed, usually only stepping in if there were complaints. If two characters had drastically different power levels, for example, he'd usually let it slide. Like, if a Caterpie and Charizard fought, Charizard has the clear advantage. But if two swordsmen fought, and Fighter A effortlessly blocks all of Fighter B's attacks before delivering a flurry of blows, he'd put Player A in his place for ruining Player B's fun. (Unless Player B was okay with it, in which case he'd let it happen.)

That's how it was, to the best of my memory. Obviously some changes would be made for our system. Thoughts? Questions?

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    That is exactly what i want to do. Tomorrow when I am more awake I will discover a way to make that a reality. Thank you Godzil for putting that into words.

Back