• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Which was the first ever Hack that you 'Completed'?

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Hey so the question is clear and simple, which was the first ever hack game which your completed? Mine is Non so far, i'm still onto Adventures Red and Ash Gray which are still in progress.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
    Years
  • Ash Grey is a hack I'm definitely going to be playing. It's probably #3 on my list of hacks to play. #1 is Mateo's Red++ which should be released relatively soon. #2 is Pokemon Glazed.

The first hack I ever played to completion was Fire Red Omega. I still play it to this day, making my own modifications to it every time to make it more interesting.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • I have completed several ROM hacks back in the days (Ash Grey, Quartz, Ruby Destiny: RR, Victory Fire, Ash Quest... even Shiny Gold) but the first game that came close to completion for me was Quartz. I also completed Light Platinum short after it's release (the first region, lost my safe file due to laptop reset). The last game I fully completed was Victory Fire and now I'm planning to replay Pokémon Adventure - Red Chapter since I completed beta 2 or 3 back in 2013 but never returned to it. :)

Years
  • I don't really play video games at all anymore, but looking back, the first hack I ever completed was Fire Red Omega. I stumbled upon it one day several years ago and I immediately was sucked into the ROM Hacking scene (which I am no longer active in).

I remember the game being super fun and challenging, and it was so fulfilling to be able to catch all 386 Pokemon (I think that's the correct number). Now that I've seen other hacks though, if I went back and played Omega, it probably wouldn't be as enchanting as when I first played it. It was all a fresh experience for me as a kid, so the only thing that probably remains in a nostalgic factor.

Years
  • First hack I ever 'completed' was ShinyGoldX Beta 5. I had a terribly limited internet connection at the time, and so it was a pretty massive deal for me to actually get it (yes, I'm aware that IPS patches are mere kb-sized files). I'd figured "You know what, I've played original Gold a lot, so why not go for the challenge version?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I was so so so wrong. It was so damn difficult. But eventually I managed to make it to the end of the release, which had most of Kanto done, if I recall.
    Unfortunately, though, it never truly completed.

Infinitum

Years
  • First hack I ever 'completed' was ShinyGoldX Beta 5. I had a terribly limited internet connection at the time, and so it was a pretty massive deal for me to actually get it (yes, I'm aware that IPS patches are mere kb-sized files). I'd figured "You know what, I've played original Gold a lot, so why not go for the challenge version?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I was so so so wrong. It was so damn difficult. But eventually I managed to make it to the end of the release, which had most of Kanto done, if I recall.
    Unfortunately, though, it never truly completed.

It's a shame that Zel never completed it. It was by far the best hack back then, it was one of the first to really get near completion. He used the tools he had back then to make something... extraordinary good. Some people may claim that Liquid Crystal was better, but LC was completed years later, when the knowledge/tools were already drastically improved. Giradialkia, do you think Shiny Gold was better than Liquid Crystal?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    shiny gold i guess, it was never completed so it was pretty easy to "finish" it :D

Years
  • It's a shame that Zel never completed it. It was by far the best hack back then, it was one of the first to really get near completion. He used the tools he had back then to make something... extraordinary good. Some people may claim that Liquid Crystal was better, but LC was completed years later, when the knowledge/tools were already drastically improved. Giradialkia, do you think Shiny Gold was better than Liquid Crystal?

Ah, it's too hard to say! In terms of pretty much everything (gameplay, graphics, new additions to the original story, etc), they're both equally awesome. I do agree with you, though, that considering what Zel had to work with back while Shiny Gold was in development - in terms of tools and general resources), he made something absolutely extraordinary. I mean by the time I played Heart Gold, years after Shiny Gold, I found myself absent-mindedly comparing the two, and in some cases I was actually happier with how Shiny Gold handled things!

Now I think of it, I reckon Liquid Crystal might've been the second hack I 'completed', haha. What can I say, I love Johto! :P

Infinitum

Years
  • Ah, it's too hard to say! In terms of pretty much everything (gameplay, graphics, new additions to the original story, etc), they're both equally awesome. I do agree with you, though, that considering what Zel had to work with back while Shiny Gold was in development - in terms of tools and general resources), he made something absolutely extraordinary. I mean by the time I played Heart Gold, years after Shiny Gold, I found myself absent-mindedly comparing the two, and in some cases I was actually happier with how Shiny Gold handled things!

Now I think of it, I reckon Liquid Crystal might've been the second hack I 'completed', haha. What can I say, I love Johto! :P

Zel completing Shiny Gold might be the best announcement anyone around here can make right now... or just remaking it with newer tiles, revamped maps... That man was simply a legend.

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Since the first hacks that I played were never completed I'm looking at you naranja and shinygold I think it was Light Platinum or was it Life of Guardians can't really remember lol

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I think the first hack that I actually played completely through was Touhou Puppet Play Enhanced. I loved playing it, so making it all the way to the end wasn't too hard to do. :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2015
    The first and only so far I completed was Dark Rising, which is extremely difficult due to the fact that the Pokemon you'd battle had very high levels, it was supposed to force you to grind, the story is very interesting and when you beat the Elite Four you really feel like you accomplished something. I highly recommend it. : D

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Ah I believe the first havk game I completed was probably Reign of Legends a year or two ago. I completed Outlaw version last month and I think those are the only ones so far. XD I have completed Red Adventures chapter and all the other chapters up to their current betas though.

Years
  • Flora Sky was the first ROM hack I've completed. Tried playing ShinyGold a few years back, but didn't really get that far. Now I'm playing Liquid Crystal; in the Dragon's Den working for my 8th badge.

Back