• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first attempt at putting together a team

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    This is my "first" attempt at building a team, well, ever, really, at least one I might use against human opponents. I did on a Battle-simulator. I'm willing to swap out moves, and differen't pokemon, for example I'd be willing to lose Spikes on Skarmory, and replace it with Stealth Rocks, or somehow try to get Defog on it, I just didn't want to be entirely vulnerable to Taunt, so I included Iron Head as one of it's moves.

I really don't know anything about Team Building. My "heyday" with Poke'mon was about 3 or 3.5 years, between 1998, and 2001.

And I played it A LOT back then. But, something happened, I think after 3.5 years of play or so, or close to that, for one, the anime got really dull, I realized that Ash Ketchum wasn't going to be a master trainer and fight the Elite Four, by the 3rd season or so. The show was turning out to be more like a "soap opera" and in that sense, watching the show became a "chore" as opposed to entertaining. I thought for sure after the Charizard v. Magmar episode, given that the island they were on (Cinnabar Island I think it was called) was the last stop before in Poke'mon Blue before going against the Elite Four, he'd be challenging the Elite Four and Gary, looks like I was wrong, because before I thought the big Climax after watching the show for 2 years was going to happen, there was no big Climax, and instead they were going to be adding 100 new Poke'mon which I didn't like nearly as much as the original 151, and he was heading off to some other tournament, nothing like what happened in the game.

Furthermore the "team" I had spent years training, only knew Stab and Normal moves. I never used the TM's. And so my team turned out to be really weak when I finally uploaded it to Poke'mon Stadium 64, the AI would just steam roll my team, since it's poke'mon knew both STAB moves, as well as moves that hard countered mine. At that point I just sorta shelved the game for the next 13-14 years or so before I began to get back into it.

SO here's what I came up with, most of these are Gen 1 Poke'mon, because, it's what I know, I really didn't pay attention to poke'mon for over a decade, so with the exception of Skarmory, these are the Poke'mon I'm familiar with.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Scrappy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Sucker Punch
    - Power-Up Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Body Slam

^Kangaskhan, if it's Megaform was banned from tournaments that I heard through hearsay, I figured why not have it's ordinary form on the team? Seems to be a good moveset it has, it's a little weak to Special Attackers, but it could get a quick hit off with Sucker Punch, and follow that up with another. Power-Up Bunch surely seems fine on a Poke'mon so focused on big Attack moves. Body Slam seems to be a good move for it and it's 30% paralyze. I'm open to changes in the moveset, nothing, I'm adamant about, I just picked a combo of moves that seemed like a good starting point.

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Psystrike
    - Recover
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

^I've always liked Mewtwo, I use to catch level 3/4 Mewtwo's using a gameshark in Poke'mon Red/Blue, and even when they were only level 3/4 they were pretty much unstoppable against similarly leveled poke'mon. I assume he's been nerfed quite a bit from his Red/Blue days, however I've always been a fan of him. I wasn't sure whether it would be better for Wifi Battles to pick Rest or Recover. But since Mewtwo picks up Insomnia upon converting to Mewtwo Y, I just went with Recover. I thought Rest had it's advantages though since I can't undo status effects in a Wifi Battle, in which case I might get a different Poke'mon to Megaevolve than Mewtwo.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Leech Seed
    - Sleep Powder

^ ON this one I was really hoping to take advantage of Charizard using Sunny Day in a previous turn, so I could capitalize on Charizard knowing Solar Power, and Venusaur knowing Chlorophyll, and thusly I double the speed of Venusaur on a turn later in the match. This could be situational, but it seemed better than Charizard's standard Blaze ability, and Venusaurs standard Overgrow ability. I was trying to think outside of the box. Another move I might replace Sleep Powder with is Toxic, but I don't know.

Charizard @ Leftovers
    Ability: Solar Power
    Modest Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Solar Beam

^I thought Sunny Day/Solar Power was a good combo, since #1 Solar Power takes two moves anyways, so why not spend one of those moves doing Sunny Day so it only takes 1, and the Flamethrower attack will be much stronger as well. This in turn will benefit a Chlorophyll Venusaur if I swap it in within the next 5 moves after Sunny Day. Furthermore, Solar Beam hard counters Water Poke'mon, so if the Charizard can withstand a hit from a Water Poke'mon which btw, Sunny Day lowers the effectiveness of Water moves by 50%, as well as reduces the accuracy of Thunderbolt which is another move that counters Charizard's Flying Type, by next move it's unleashing a Solar Beam on the Water Poke'mon which given it's Modest Nature, should be rather powerful. Unfortunately I have to forego Roost as a move, so to make up a small amount for that I just gave it Left Overs instead. I also read on Bulbapedia that it could double the recovery of Synthesis, that's a move I'm debating including with Venusaur.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost

^I had a really hard time picking out a moveset for him. I could have gone with Stealth Rock/Defog, the Smogon guide said Defog was counter-productive if you were laying multiple layers of Spikes. I just thought, but for other Flying type Poke'mon, between Roost, Whirlwind and Spikes, I could keep blowing enemy Poke'mon into my spike trap until finally another Flying type showed up. Seems like a cheesy thing to do, but hey, a W is a W. I'll take a W over an L anyday.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Levitate
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Trick
    - Destiny Bond

^I didn't know much, I just figured I wanted him to have sludgebomb and shadow ball. I liked the Destiny Bond when I read it's description, seemed to guarantee he'd take out at least one Poke'mon if he was on the team, and given that he's using Black Sludge, figure I could swap that out to a Poke'mon using LeftOvers and screw the enemy Poke'mon over. On the other hand, if I just equipped him with Left Overs, I could remove the Trick move slot entirely, perhaps replace that with Toxic instead. I don't know, I'm just taking a guess at what a good move set is, I have no expertise in these matters.

How does my team rate? Are there any huge improvements I could make, or swap out Poke'mon entirely?

I'd really like some feedback on this before I delve deeper back into breeding more Poke'mon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'll rate this team assuming Gen VI, due to the presence of Power-up Punch on Kangaskhan; clarification on what specific version (and even generation) you're using would be appreciated. First off, are you playing Smogon OU or Battle Spot?

Mega Kangaskhan is the only Kangaskhan worth using. However, its Mega Stone is banned to Ubers, due to Parental Bond making it broken. It's still fine in Battle Spot, though. If you're playing Smogon OU, Diggersby, Staraptor, or Mega Lopunny is your best bet for a hard-hitting Normal Pokemon:

Diggersby:
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Quick Attack
    -Swords Dance/Fire Punch
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Huge Power

or
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -U-turn
    -Knock Off/Wild Charge
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Huge Power

Mega Lopunny:
    -Return
    -High Jump Kick
    -Fake Out
    -Ice Punch/Power-Up Punch
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Lopunnite
    Ability: Limber

or
    -Substitute
    -Return
    -High Jump Kick
    -Encore/Baton Pass
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Lopunnite
    Ability: Limber

Like Kangaskhan, Charizard is unviable without either of its Mega Stones. The difference between both of its Mega forms is that X is physical and Y is special:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost/Earthquake
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Solar Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Roost
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Earthquake
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/100 Def/160 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Outrage
    -Tailwind
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe

You can teach Skarmory Stealth Rock in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire as a move tutor move. You don't need to jump hoops to breed it in Gen V, then transfer it over.

Mewtwo is an Uber Pokemon. It can't be used in an OU team like this. Drop it for Starmie, which provides Rapid Spin support for Charizard, as it's vulnerable to Stealth Rock:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Rapid Spin
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Reflect Type
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

Like the above 2 Pokemon, Venusaur is dependent on its Mega Stone for its viability. Don't bother with it unless you intend to give the team's Mega slot to it.

I don't think Gengar needs to Trick its Black Sludge away. You're better off using Trick with a Choice item, as it cripples defensive Pokemon a lot more than Black Sludge would by locking them into their last move. However, Gengar is better spending its time attacking or providing support in other ways:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
    -Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Icy Wind/Substitute/Destiny Bond
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge

or
    -Hex
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Substitute
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    That sucks, all my favorite poke'mon, which were viable in past generations since Mega-Evolve didn't even exist, aren't NOW.

They still have good stats without the Mega-Evolve.

I ran this line up on the game last night. This is sad for me to say, but prior to last night, I had only battled a human opponent in Poke'mon 2x, in the last 18 years, and that was back around the year 1999 or so. Most of Poke'mon heyday, we actually had to link up cables to our gameboys, to battle another human opponent. There was nothing online.

I got steam rolled by a Smeargle using Dark Void/ Roar combo, and promptly put all my poke'mon to sleep. So I got him, next opponent, I run into a Klefki, using a Thunderwave/Swagger/Substitute combo. He then sweeps my whole team. I then start using Klefki with the same move combo. Next I run into a Mega Dancie, who uses Magic Bounce, and is invulnerable to status changes of Klefki, I promptly get steam rolled by her 2x in a row.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    Initially I thought Mega-Evolve was good, but if it has made tons of my favorite Poke'mon unviable now without it, that is just, infuriating for me as a player.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The (unfortunate) reality is that in competitive battling, sometimes your favorites aren't really any good, and sometimes generational changes are not kind to a Pokemon. Just trying to use only your favorites will restrict what you can do; there's like over 800 Pokemon now, and not all of them were created equal.

Now, you CAN do reasonably well with not-generally-viable favorites, but it requires a fair bit of skill to do so....typically more than the average battler has.

You could probably make do by going with Charizardite Y for Charizard and keep Venusaur as is (maybe fit Growth on it somewhere). Mega Zard Y gains Drought upon mega evolving, meaning it'll automatically summon sunlight for Venusaur's Chlorophyll, so you don't need to run Sunny Day. The power boost more than makes up for the loss of Solar Power.

Since you're going to have freed up slots, you'll need something to remove Stealth Rock/entry hazards with, as Charizard hates those. You'll probably need something fast with an Ice attack too or something, idk. Replace spikes with Stealth Rock if you can on Skarmory as well.

Back