• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Continuing my binary hack in disassembly

Years
  • Just curious if it's possible to continue my binary hack in disassembly or should I start everything from scratch?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Binary hacking is based entirely around data pointing to other data. In decomp, there are no pointers because nothing's been compiled you. You can probably copy over XSE scripts with little hassle, but I don't think you can do much else. Essentially, if you make something outside of the rom, then put it in (XSE scripts, pictures, etc), then you can probably do the same in decomp. If you put something directly into the rom (data entry, mostly), then you will probably have to redo that.

There's no way to take a binary hack and make it decomp and keep working from there, if that's what you were asking. Hope this helps!

Years
  • Binary hacking is based entirely around data pointing to other data. In decomp, there are no pointers because nothing's been compiled you. You can probably copy over XSE scripts with little hassle, but I don't think you can do much else. Essentially, if you make something outside of the rom, then put it in (XSE scripts, pictures, etc), then you can probably do the same in decomp. If you put something directly into the rom (data entry, mostly), then you will probably have to redo that.

There's no way to take a binary hack and make it decomp and keep working from there, if that's what you were asking. Hope this helps!
    Basically I was asking if it's possible to use my hacked rom as a base for decomp and you cleared that out. Thanks for the help!

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Basically I was asking if it's possible to use my hacked rom as a base for decomp and you cleared that out. Thanks for the help!

Well it depends each has its benefits and uses, I think instead of trying to redo everything in decomp, you should save your scripts, open a clean rom, make your decomp changes recompile it and then continue it in binary, pasting your scripts back in.

Years
  • Well it depends each has its benefits and uses, I think instead of trying to redo everything in decomp, you should save your scripts, open a clean rom, make your decomp changes recompile it and then continue it in binary, pasting your scripts back in.

I don't think that's possible. You can't use a ROM with binary hacking changes for decomp, as it already creates the rom from scratch, and if somehow you could, once you add the changes in decomp it wouldn't be compatible with binary hacking tools because of the data being placed differently. I wouldn't also see the point in doing so though, changing from decomp to binary hacking, as decomp itself is really intuitive once you get used to it, but in any case, binary hacking and decomp are two totally different methods and they can't be merged or whatever

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023

it's still the same rom base, so works the same and still has hex.
    If the data was rearranged all you should need to do is reapply your scripts to a different offset in the freespace.

and they'd work just as they always did, if rearranging data in a rom was enough to make all programs completely incompatible it would be impossible to edit a patched rom, and I do that all the time. Plenty of tools that work on base rom, can work on the altered rom.

All I was saying is after you recompile your rom, so its actually playable, you can continue editing it with scrips or asm.
    For me, I'm just using decomp to add elements into the game, items, abilities etc.

Once its in, then I can make events using them in binary.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    update, so the first part was wrong, but there may be a way to do this.
    So the idea for decomp to my knowledge is to break down the rom using the same compiler it was built with.
    I believe that's either clank or gnc (don't quote me on those names)

Decompiling apparently breaks the rom down into individual files.

So if you've edited your rom with binary tools perhaps you could break it down with one of those compilers, into
    a set of files that contain your changes.

Back