• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Current system for trading to yourself is kinda dumb/broken.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    So in the old days when we wanted to trade, the idea is we're exchanging pokemon with other trainers.
    Our pokemon goes out there's comes in , no problem.

You get your cable, plug it from one system to the other and boom done.

But trading with yourself, pretty much to keep access to your own pokemon has gotten really, reeeaally dumb. least imh opinion.

Its not going to someone else's game and ideally we don't really want to trade/lose access on the current game's pokemon, but make our pokemon usable in the new game/gen.

And gamefreak has found plenty of ways to monetize our attachments to them,(which I guess is ok) but they also made it inefficient and typically an overall annoying process to try to get our old pokemon into the new games. (Looking at you pal park)

And for a long time, I thought that's just how it had to be, its hard to move the data, there are inconsistencies within gens, changes in graphics/data etc.

But now that I've moved to playing emulator games and messing around with a few tools for editing/romhacking etc. I see those excuses mean nothing.

It's all just data. Even if its possibly difficult to transfer the data, a transfer isn't even necessary, we can just recreate it.

I use pokegen when I want to speed up somethings like getting a move early or getting an item early.

But with tools like that you can completely create a pokemon, pick the species, gender, lvl, then once its made add its ivs, evs, movesets, nature etc.

Why can't the transfer feature be something like this, that could read the data in your save, and recreate the mon and add it to your next gen save file?!

You don't lose the pokemon on your old game, which makes it borderline unplayable without all your favorites unless you start over.
    You don't have to do some dumb recatching mechanic, and since the data is being created you can access it earlier by setting a lvl restriction.

Like all pokemon would have everything your original pokemon had, but come in at lvl 5 or something, until you beat the game.

Simple.

But even without an interface/setup like that, when emulator has tools that allow smooth pokemon creation, it just makes the normal way
    of managing pokemon between games just look silly by comparison.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This seems a little complex and a lot of work to implement still sadly, when we already have paid alternatives like HOME that they probably won't ever reconsider. I'd love to be able to bring my mons over more quickly and do cool things like scale them down for new challenge runs and whatnot, but TPCI/Game Freak aren't exactly known for going above and beyond like this.

What I'm super happy about is that we have no more daily Pokémon amount restrictions when transferring things, and annoying little minigames to play just to be able to get my Pokémon over to the newer games. That was such a huge chore in gen IV :x

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    This seems a little complex and a lot of work to implement still sadly, when we already have paid alternatives like HOME that they probably won't ever reconsider. I'd love to be able to bring my mons over more quickly and do cool things like scale them down for new challenge runs and whatnot, but TPCI/Game Freak aren't exactly known for going above and beyond like this.

What I'm super happy about is that we have no more daily Pokémon amount restrictions when transferring things, and annoying little minigames to play just to be able to get my Pokémon over to the newer games. That was such a huge chore in gen IV :x

Yeah it'll most likely never happen for official play. Most of the functions are actually relatively easy, the only hard part would be creating a way to read the save files/rom, since only og DS had that type of functionality, and certain other console systems where in a specific menu you could remove the disc without stopping the game, put in the other disc and it would unlock features because its proof you've purchased the other game.

actually that might be somewhat simple as well, since consoles like the ps3 had things like virtual memory cards.
    Specifically formatted to hold data for older games. I believe the ps3 could read data for ps3 ps2 ps1 and psp games.

But if we ever get an emulator that can work for most gens, I could definitely see this this type of feature becoming a reality for the emulated pokemon scene.

Back