• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Favourite HM slaves?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    This is part curiosity, part game help. But basically, in the 3rd generation which pokémon do you like as HM slaves if you use them?

In Hoenn I always have a Linoone because Zigzagoon is pretty useful then, once evolved it can learn exactly 4 HMs: Cut, Strength, Surf and Rock Smash - a mixture of two useless moves and two good battle moves, but learning Surf means my typical 2 water pokémon (because there are so many) only have 1 HM each

In Kanto I've never really used them bar teaching a Machop Rock Smash post-game, but right now I've kept a Farfetch'd in my party to teach Cut to and later Fly so I can keep my Charmeleon unevolved without sacrificing mobility.

So yeah, thoughts?

Years
  • Omg I've used a Linoone as a HM slave so much, it's available early in the game and can learn a good amount of HMs. In FR I never really had a consistent HM slave, I think they were spread out among my party more.

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
    Years
  • Zigzagoon / Linoone all the way! I usually give them some combination of Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Dig, and Secret Power. (Never Surf though, that's way too useful a battle move for a water type). Plus Pickup is super useful, one of the best abilities ever.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • I'm playing Leaf Green right now and I'm using a Krabby as my little HM buddy. It can learn cut, surf, strength, and rock smash!

I usually wouldn't use a HM slave in Kanto and generally just spread the moves across my team - but I'm doing a Fire Monotype Challenge so Krabby is working well.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I'm playing Leaf Green right now and I'm using a Krabby as my little HM buddy. It can learn cut, surf, strength, and rock smash!

I usually wouldn't use a HM slave in Kanto and generally just spread the moves across my team - but I'm doing a Fire Monotype Challenge so Krabby is working well.

Now that's one I never thought of!

I'm using a Furret for Cerulean Cave right now because I don't want any of my super-powerful team saddled with Rock Smash, and it allows me to remove all but my Tyranitar and Jolteon (with Bite) who I'll use for Mewtwo, and fill the rest of the party with eggs.

Iria Animi

Innocent Trainer
    Years
  • My favorite was Tropius who happens to learn all HMs except surf.

I think surf is the best HM and more useful water move in R/S/E.

Back