• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Luna and Mallow disappointments?

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • To me, they sadly are.
    Not to be confused with the fact that I do like them a lot!

Oh well, we do have to take in consideration that they are not the main female character like Lillie so I shouldn't have put in too much hope in them but all the only amazing things they had done was having Mallow's Bounsweet having that Cardcaptor Sakura evolution and the Totem Wishiwashi battle, which should have taken the chance to evolve Lana's Popplio.

But seeing how much Lillie has since progressed in the anime has me wondering if Mallow and Lana would grow more next instead of sticking to the same ol' thing.

I hope we will get a Tsareena and a Primarina so we can see a Primarium Z move and perhaps turning Mallow's sweet Steenee into a mean Pokemon upon evolution and Mallow had to work doubly hard to win back Tsareena like Ash did for Charizard and the likes as well as Lana doing much more harder to be a better trainer for the Z Crystal.

How about you?
    Please discuss Mallow and Lana and only Mallow and Lana (Yes you can talk about Mau and Suiren too) in this thread.
    Please respect other people's opinions.
    Please keep the characters bashing to a minimum and please explain your criticisms (as well as the positives of their characters).
    Please follow the Pokecommunity general rules.
    (Thanks Kisara for the template xoxo)

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I love Lana and Mallow. They can never disappoint me because they have great personalities and really good friends to Ash. Of course this is my opinion. I respect other opinions of those who feel differently or the same.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I don't find either to be a disappointment to be honest. Lana has already had some decent focus and has a z ring and Mallow plays off the other characters really well.

Heh yeh, that's why I was thinking we should take into consideration that they're still not as main as Lillie, I am hoping after the Nebby's saga, they will get as much attention as Lillie does have now. I hope to see a stronger Ash gang.

But I'm still a little wee disappointed until then.

Years
  • Yes.

I like Lana and I don't like Mallow but they feel like a disappointment as for Mallow and Lana have not progressed goal-wise and personality-wise and damn, even Lana's goal itself is a disappointment.

I think they have nice personalities but they haven't progressed that much what I don't like.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, it's hard for them to progress in their goal when they're stuck in a school environment, so in that sense, they're a disappointment.

That said, however, I do have really high hopes for Lana in particular, that she actually inspire Misty to make sure she can pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal again, so I am looking forward to Lana at least.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    I honestly doubt Popplio is going to evolve. Primarium-Z will probably be showed by Ida when she returns, with her Brionne having evolved into Primarina. Litten is the only one of the main cast's starters I expect to evolve.

And Mallow, well, her goal doesn't involve Pokemon, she just wants to be a better chef.

I wouldn't really say Lana is a disappointment. She got more attention than I expected her to. The only one that's really a disappointment is Mallow, and there's because there's not really anything left for her (Lillie is the main girl and has the closest relationship to Ash of the three, and Lana has the starter that Ash doesn't have), except acting as the "big sister"/emotional support of the group.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    Lana is great since she does things that permanently affect her character, such as her getting a Z-Ring. But Mallow does very little; she's gotten a few episodes, yet all she's really improved on is evolving her Bounsweet. This is why I don't get why she's usually ranked above Lillie in terms of development; like, while Lillie's had a whole character arc about her Pokemon phobia and a recent one about her past and family, certain fans would still rather believe that Mallow is more important than Lillie.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Well i'm fine with Lana. I still don't know why Mallow's here she adds nothing to the plot she got little to no development all she did up to this point was evolve her bounsweet and thats it. If she get something later on then ok, but for right now shes pointless to the plot.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    Lana is great since she does things that permanently affect her character, such as her getting a Z-Ring. But Mallow does very little; she's gotten a few episodes, yet all she's really improved on is evolving her Bounsweet. This is why I don't get why she's usually ranked above Lillie in terms of development; like, while Lillie's had a whole character arc about her Pokemon phobia and a recent one about her past and family, certain fans would still rather believe that Mallow is more important than Lillie.

Mallow ISN'T usually ranked above Lillie. Most people are in fact aware that Mallow does very little.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    I doubt Lana's Popplio will evolve now. I can see Lana getting a little bit more character development and that's about it.

Mallow did get a little bit character development and she did evolve her Bounsweet, but that was about it, so far lately she have been push into the background.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I feel like the Alola anime had too many characters in the main cast. Lana and Mallow became two extra girls, kind of, and granted I haven't watched very far yet, but most things they did so far could have been done by some other character or not at all ._.

Years
  • I really doubt they will get any kind of development from now on. I am not saying they won't though just it won't change the way it was up till now.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Are Lana and Mallow disappointments? Probably yes.

Mallow did become the first of the SM cast to have a Pokemon evolve, but other than that she's mostly been relegated to the background and the fact she doesn't have a Z-Ring or any notably marketable Pokemon (I don't consider Steenee as marketable) such as a starter or fan fave *cough* Lycanroc and Togedemaru *cough* also hurts her.

Lana has had some development but with the fact Popplio looks likely to be struck with the "unevolving mascot" curse, Lana probably won't get any proper development since all the focus shifted to Lillie now. It would suck to see her end up like Dawn in that they're both blue-haired girls who have a Water-type starter that's cursed to never, ever evolve because their evolutions seem to be "unsuitable" for marketing. In Piplup's case, it even refused to evolve just like Pikachu.

But as Rika said, the SM cast is too big and that means some characters get development while others get practically nothing.

Last edited:
    Back