• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Opinion: Im not a fan of remakes

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    i think the whole "catching x pokemon to get useful items (not only that, but to even get access to the Sevii Islands in the first place)" is kinda what put me off. i get fr/lg puts extra emphasis on the whole "gotta catch 'em all" thing (or at least, as many as the game tells you to), but i just didn't care for wasting my time catching a bunch of fodder for items and access to end-game areas to later release them. u_u

the Sevii Islands themselves though were pretty cool and i think they were a highlight of the games for me! but getting there is kind of annoying...

That was a thing from the originals they just ported over, though. You still needed to catch 10 species to get Flash, 30 species to get the Itemfinder and 50 species to get the Experience All in Gen I.

Although, I do admit that adding more species locked stuff (Everstone and Amulet Coin) is annoying, compared to the Itemfinder and the Experience Share they seem pretty meh to me in general. Like, I can't really think of a time I did a playthrough and was hurting for money by the time I hit Celadon.

Years
  • That was a thing from the originals they just ported over, though. You still needed to catch 10 species to get Flash, 30 species to get the Itemfinder and 50 species to get the Experience All in Gen I.

interesting to know! i only played the remakes and not the originals, so i always associated the "catch x to get y" thing with something the remakes did. o:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • The only remakes i really liked were FRLG, which i'm pretty much contractually obliged to since they were the first games i played in the series. I never played HGSS to completion and ORAS didn't blow me away either.. i did actually really like LGPE if that counts as a remake. but anyways, not particularly hype for the cycle to continue with BDSP but i've never been a big sinnoh fan so I would say that.

In general, I think FRLG and HGSS were justified in existing - Gen 1 and 2 are quite primitive compared to later gens and I can see wanting to give those a do-over. But with later remakes, those games still feel modern enough to me that it's hard for me to not see the continuing remake cycle as a cash grab. You know like, what exactly needs remaking about gen 4? Clearly not the graphics since they managed to make it look even worse, and I doubt they're adding many battle mechanics from later gens either since they've been dropping and reintroducing increasingly convoluted gimmicks each generation since 6.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I have mixed preferences to remakes. I prefer playing FRLG and HGSS over the originals, but I find Emerald much more enjoyable than ORAS, even with the lack of Physical/Special split

As for spin-offs, I haven't bought the remakes for Rescue Team yet, not sure if I ever will

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I enjoy some remakes that have more charm than original because there is bit of improvement like there wasn't a split in Gen2 and the HG/SS have the walking pokemon charm on it

Back