• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
  • Here is the 1.12 version for Linux.
    YdvUyCR.png

Everything works ok apart from NSBMD export, which can be done manually by calling g3dcvtr with wine.

Attachments

• PokemonDsMapStudioLinux1.12.zip
      4.4 MB · Views: 3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    I have made a new tutorial on how to add custom textures in Pokemon DS Map Studio

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.14 is out!

It has the following changes and bugfixes:
    • Building file editor
    • New BW2 tilesets: cave and chargestone cave
    • Material outline render added
    • Height layer transparency now can be adjusted
    • Fixed bug in the IMD exporter related with no full palettes

You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/sb7h3d0a4k83zsn/PokemonDsMapStudio_1_14.rar/file

And I have made a tutorial on how to add custom buildings:

Years
  • Hi, I downloaded Java, and I used the Gen III Cave Map generator (forgot who made it) just fine, which is a JAR file, however when I open DS Map application or JAR file.... nothing happens? Do I need to open it in a certain way? Thank you. :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hi, I downloaded Java, and I used the Gen III Cave Map generator (forgot who made it) just fine, which is a JAR file, however when I open DS Map application or JAR file.... nothing happens? Do I need to open it in a certain way? Thank you. :)

You need Java 8 for 64 bit computer. You can download it here: java.com/en/download/windows-64bit.jsp
    If the JAR doesn't work try with the BAT or with the EXE files.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2020
    Hi there
    having the same problem rn
    Nothing happens when I try to open either one of them

System is WIN 64-bit and like you mentioned before with Java 8
    Graphics card nvidia geforce 1060 gtx 6gb

The error in CMD
    Spoiler:

Java Version Check
    Spoiler:

EDIT : Fixed, for some reason I had version 1.14, works fine with 1.16

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hi there
    having the same problem rn
    Nothing happens when I try to open either one of them

System is WIN 64-bit and like you mentioned before with Java 8
    Graphics card nvidia geforce 1060 gtx 6gb

The error in CMD
    Spoiler:

Java Version Check
    Spoiler:

This is such a strange case. You seem to fulfill all the conditions for running the program with no issues. But by looking at the error message it seems like there is some problem with the java version. This error usually appears when you run the program with a 32 bit Java version. But this is not the case.
    I will try to find a solution for this but it seems like it won't be an easy task.

I will write here the solution and send you a private message in case I solve it. Thanks for posting the error! :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2021
    Wow this tool is amazing! It's everything I could ever dream of and more, but there is a minor issue I have.
    I wonder if it would be possible to add a real time polygon count of sorts? Perhaps also having it include border maps, maybe as a separate total counter? It would help greatly when designing maps while also keeping in mind the DS's limitation. Especially since you have to also take into consideration that the game loads nearby chunks depending on your location in the current one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Wow this tool is amazing! It's everything I could ever dream of and more, but there is a minor issue I have.
    I wonder if it would be possible to add a real time polygon count of sorts? Perhaps also having it include border maps, maybe as a separate total counter? It would help greatly when designing maps while also keeping in mind the DS's limitation. Especially since you have to also take into consideration that the game loads nearby chunks depending on your location in the current one.

Thanks for the support! I'm glad that you like it!
    About the polygon count, it's a bit hard to implement. That's because the program only knows the polygon count when the map is exported as OBJ (or IMD). At that moment, the program groups all the "tileable" tiles in order to reduce the polygon count. Grouping the polygons in real time is possible but hard to implement. Maybe I can add it in the future, but for now I'm focusing on another features.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    Hey! Amazing tool! I've got some plans ahead, but I can't quite figure out one thing. How do I create .pdsts tilesets to import? I've got .nsbtx files exported from SDSME, but I can't figure out how to get an importable filetype.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hey! Amazing tool! I've got some plans ahead, but I can't quite figure out one thing. How do I create .pdsts tilesets to import? I've got .nsbtx files exported from SDSME, but I can't figure out how to get an importable filetype.

For creating tilesets you have to make 3D tiles, one by one. It is not possible to take a tileset directly from the game because there's nothing like that inside the game files. The game only has 3D models for maps, but not 3D models for each tile separately. So, let's say that you want to use a tree from a specific map, then you would need to use SDSME for exporting the map's 3D model as OBJ, open it in a 3D modelling software like Blender or Sketchup, extract the tree, export it as OBJ and then import it in PDSMS.

The whole process can be seen in this video:

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2020
    Uh, I'm new to Gen 5 Map editing, but is there a way that you can create a new map of its own instead of placing it over existing maps? Also please continue to fix bugs for B2W2, I'm trying to edit those games!

Amazing tool it is.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Uh, I'm new to Gen 5 Map editing, but is there a way that you can create a new map of its own instead of placing it over existing maps? Also please continue to fix bugs for B2W2, I'm trying to edit those games!

Amazing tool it is.

Hi! Thanks for the support! :D
    It is actually possible to add new maps. But, as far as I know, it involves ASM and the procedure is quite tricky. However, there is a new tool under development that will allow adding maps easily. It is not avaliable yet, so probably we will have to wait some weeks or months.

Gen 5 mapping is harder compared to gen 4, because the height of the player is not determined by the BDHC file, it uses collisions instead. Those collisions have to be investigated more carefuly. Right now, I'm polishing some of the features of PDSMS and trying to add some other key features. (Also some people are making new tilesets for BW2). So, I will be focusing again on Gen 5 later.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2020
    Hey Trifindo,

Thanks for the reply! May I know the features you plan to add? Also, in Advance map, you could use the 'warps' event to transport you. Is there a similar way to do so to create new connections from existing maps? As I said, I am new to Gen 5 hacking so I'm not clear about the difficulty :/ .

Thank you in advance!

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hey Trifindo,

Thanks for the reply! May I know the features you plan to add? Also, in Advance map, you could use the 'warps' event to transport you. Is there a similar way to do so to create new connections from existing maps? As I said, I am new to Gen 5 hacking so I'm not clear about the difficulty :/ .

Thank you in advance!

Currently I'm planning to add a way of importing tiles from an already existing tileset. So that we can mix tilesets easily and mix graphics from DPPt, HGSS, BW and BW2. Also, I want to add a feature called vertex colors, which is used in interior maps for making ilumination effects, shadows... But implementing this feature is taking me much time because I need to rewrite a lot of the code.

My tool is focused only on modelling maps. For conecting maps, making warps, events and putting sprites in the maps, you need to use SDSME. Some of these features are not available for gen V. So if you are starting with NDS, the best would be to start editing Pokemon Platinum for example. HGSS is a bit more difficult compared to DPPt.
    The new tool I told you before,will make all of this very easily in a similar way as Advanced map.

Back