• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much coding / programming experience do you have, if any?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I've been working in data analysis for a year now, mostly using R.

I'm using Python for my final project in college and can work my way around JavaScript and C if need be.

Every so often I try picking up Rust but the safety first approach is a bit too annoying for me. I know it comes from a good place but it can definitely feel a bit too much.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • I know quite a lot of GML. its a gamemaking engine that is actually pretty simple and i usually make stuff on it for about 1/2 of an hour every day.

I only ever made 1 application for it, and i never released it to the public.
    I started using GML when i was only 9 :P . when i was that age i just looked up tutorials for everything, and didnt understand the actual language myself.

Same. I use GameMaker too much :D

I've been working in data analysis for a year now, mostly using R.

I'm using Python for my final project in college and can work my way around JavaScript and C if need be.

Every so often I try picking up Rust but the safety first approach is a bit too annoying for me. I know it comes from a good place but it can definitely feel a bit too much.

You're lucky you like Python :D I'm bad at it, and I probably always will be 😅

I can program Ruby, mainly in RGSS. I also know little bit of Node.js and have made my own discord bot.

Nice, I'll have to try making a discord bot at some point 😄 Sounds fun!

Only CSS and HTML. I knew a little php, but that's about it.
    Had to pick a lot of it up, when I had a few websites or had to do some website based projects when studying. It's a ton of fun.

Web development knowledge is crucial to programming, because at some point, even if you don't currently need it, you will need it.

i wish i had the time to learn but I don't aha,,,

It's pretty fun, (by "fun", I mean "awesome noodles") I wish you had time :D

If you're interested in coding, there are lots of great beginners tutorials out there for HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or pretty much whatever else you might want to learn.

Yup! I'm always referring to W3Schools.. Over.. and over.. another over..

I can literally do some css but just barely. That's the extent of what i can do, I can do maybe a post flair and change colors on a tumblr theme, but not much else. <_< I wish I knew coding, but I just...don't.

I like your post flair :D It's awesome!

I used html/css/javascript mostly as a hack for flairs and personal projects (trying to create a webdex in github but that's in hiatus atm lmao)

My main language is c++, java, c# and recently zmq. I've worked in developing 4g nbiot simulations, that mixed with 5g, etc. Now im in a completely different field where we're making an application for high speed high volume financial trading. Also have a fangame in the works that might use c#. :eyes:

I used to play with r and python but I don't have that much time for machine learning and social computing anymore ;( was fun though

I can't say I'm good but I definitely know how to google my way through some situations.

Nice! Knowing 2-4 languages of programming is awesome! You're not good.. you're magnificent.

i used to know html pretty decently and could make basic layouts and stuff. thank u neopets and myspace... kind of sucks that there's not really any sites that encourage learning things like that anymore. at least, none that are super active anyway. like back in the day we had neopets and myspace, but then facebook doesn't really provide any customization options and twitter's are bare minimum. the latter used to have more options, but still, not that much. i recall youtube being more customizable years ago too. and then there's tumblr that's still around but it's definitely no where near as popular as it once was so i can't really count that tbh. so yeah it just seems like there's not much chance to learn those kinds of things now.

anyway i did major in computer science for a semester lol i was ass at coding...i don't even remember what language it was but i was so bad at it. i went to tutoring for it literally every opportunity that i got. i think i was just. unteachable, it wasn't clicking. i was literally so bad that my tutor eventually just discreetly typed to me during a session "i'm just going to give you my old code for this class. just make sure to change some of the words used." so i did that slkfjdsl and like i would turn in my assignments and my teacher would always leave snide comments like "this is good. too good." skalfjdslaf god...it was so bad. i don't know wtf i was thinking in majoring in that. literally a wasted semester. i paid out of pocket for myself that semester though so i mean. hey...at least i paid for my own mistake ig?

Haha! Dude, that teacher.. I'm sure it'll click at some point 😄

i remember failing so hard in coding class in high school when i couldn't make something even as simple as a basic website with functioning buttons. so don't ever give me any web dev tasks unless you wanna crash and burn.

funnily enough, i've learned the most CSS coding through Pokecommunity, trying my damned hardest to get my flair to look exactly how i want it lmao (it still isn't btw, but i got too tired of staring at w3schools for hours on end that i just settled for what you see now).

Your flair's awesome, dude!

I have the absolute very basics when it comes to coding and that's pretty much HTML and CSS. I can't make my own codes but I can take a code and alter it to what I need. I also bought a book several years ago on How To Do HTML. Other than that I have no clue....lol.

I used to be the same..

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I've taken a lot of Intro to (code) classes such as HTML, Java, C++, and so forth, but I run into a wall with connecting databases and more complicated coding. I got through the C++ 2 course by the skin of my teeth.

Recently I made a website however, so that's cool.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • I've taken a lot of Intro to (code) classes such as HTML, Java, C++, and so forth, but I run into a wall with connecting databases and more complicated coding. I got through the C++ 2 course by the skin of my teeth.

Recently I made a website however, so that's cool.

Awesome! You're only going to get better 😄

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    I have a decent amount of coding experience. I'm versed in it somewhat, but I am still needing to learn more to say that I'm actually proficient in programming, however, I do know enough that I can write more than just basic code. As for what I know:
    • C# - This is what I know primarily. I try doing the majority of my work in this
    • C/C++ - I really want to be able to do more in this but I like using my object-oriented stuff. I really should try and make more of an effort to make use of this though.
    • x86 assembly - This was something I learned as part of my schooling and it's honestly a lot of fun and teaches you a lot of fundamentals that make certain aspects of higher level languages make more sense. Not really needed anymore but it's really fun to use either way.
    • PHP, SQL, HTML/CSS, JavaScript - I learned all of these between a couple different classes, and I've been using them for some other stuff since. It's not the best functioning code but it's definitely a nice exercise. I also now know why people hate PHP.
    • Java - I learned this as part of college and while I do try using it for Android app development, I still would rather use other languages because there's little nuances in Java that I've come to dislike.
    I've also learned Python, but I've forgotten almost all of it because there's other languages I'd prefer to use. The scripting approach that Python uses throws me off when it comes to things like variable scope and whatnot, and makes debugging a pain because I am more used to using formal programming languages that implement those and I don't want to have to suffer more and more.

As for what I've done, I have a constant list of projects that I've got on the go, but lately with my hours cut at work I've been trying to find ways to make more time to be able to do my programming, and so far it's actually been working for me. A few of the ones that I am juggling at the moment are:
    • My own website - For my website development class, our final assignment was to make a fully functional site of our own choosing using what we've learned - the one caveat being that we cannot repurpose our old assignments. I decided to make a blog website. The assignment was worth 10% of our final grade, and I got 70% on the assignment, probably because of a few outstanding bugs that I couldn't fix before I had to submit the assignment. However, I decided to keep on working on it and launch it as a website of my own. After patching a few bugs and figuring out how to get it working on a different web server, I've been slowly working on adding new features to it. It's not done yet, either - I was working on it earlier today - but I'm hoping that I'll be able to open source the application once I get some more things finished and try cleaning up the code, that is, if you can even clean up PHP code nicely ehehe... Back in May, I also had the ability to teach myself a bit about penetration testing. Using a really neat Linux application, I was able to discover a vulnerability on my website that I then took the time to patch and issue a patch note. It was pretty cool to learn about that and how to secure code that is vulnerable.
    • A reprogrammable IR controller/receiver - This stemmed from my college robotics course. One of our assignments, as well as a requirement on our final assignment, is that we could use a television remote to control our robots depending on what button was pressed on the remote. We got IR receivers from various electronics and used a decoding library to receive the signal and allow our robots to behave in those necessary ways. I decided to turn that into a remote control for a PC. While I could have just bought one online, I wanted one that was OS-independent. I got my hands on some knockoff Arduino Leonardo boards, hooked up an IR receiver that I salvaged from an old satellite TV receiver, and finally managed to make it so that I could control media from a PC using a standard television remote. I plan to integrate this into a custom Android Box powered by an old laptop so that I can control it as I would any Android TV device here soon.
    • My own game - I'm going to keep details on this sparse at the moment because I don't want the concept to be copied by others, but I'm making a game that's styled like an old text adventure similar to what you'd play on a DOS computer. Commands are input into the window, but it's going to be a bit more complex than that. If you know your way around a computer using a command prompt window, this game might be for you.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    For C#, you should really give Xamarin a look see if you're interested in mobile development.

For C++, it is very much so an OOPL. C is not. If you really want a modern feeling implementation of C++, try using the Qt framework. It's so much better to work with imo. You also get the benefit of easily deploying to Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android for a relatively painless experience. Qt Creator is also one of the few IDEs that I actually like.

I've heard a lot about Qt and I might have to look at it. And yeah, C++ is definitely much more OOPL, but not like C# is. It's something I really should look more at though.

As for Xamarin, I've looked at it, but I've ran into problems with it in the past. One of them was when I was trying to make an app for PC and I couldn't make a background service that would stay alive. As soon as the app was killed, so was the background service. And it was a longstanding bug that who knows if it was fixed at this point. I literally fixed the issue by switching my entire codebase to Java and porting over all the code and it worked perfectly.

Years
  • i don't have any programming experience, and that bothers me a lot.

while i'm aware there are more than enough resources out there for one to teach themselves, i'm at a loss at where to start. not even just that really, but the way that i learn is that it's best for someone to show me and for me to do the material on my own for me to really grasp it. i'm a hands-on/visual person in other words, so reading documentation on the theory of how code is supposed to work is... fine, i guess, but putting it in practice is far more effective for me, otherwise that information would eventually get deleted from my mind.

i detest that one of my dreams is to actually be a proficient programmer, but yet i've made no progress to get there for life reasons. it's a lot of time-sinking for me to learn a skill as involved as learning a programming language and i don't have a lot of that these days. @_@

Back