• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Leaders and Elite Four

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
  • I want to see at least one or two of them replaced. It would be nice if Roxxanne gives Stealth Rock. I think that move should have stayed a TM. As for Elite Four, I really hope their teams are more diverse. Drake was a damn joke in Ruby& Sapphire

Years
  • I want to see at least one or two of them replaced. It would be nice if Roxxanne gives Stealth Rock. I think that move should have stayed a TM. As for Elite Four, I really hope their teams are more diverse. Drake was a damn joke in Ruby& Sapphire

Speaking of TMs as Gym prizes, here's a list of what they gave out in the original Ruby and Sapphire for reference.

1st Gym: Rock Tomb
    2nd Gym: Bulk Up
    3rd Gym: Shock Wave
    4th Gym: Overheat
    5th Gym: Facade
    6th Gym: Aerial Ace
    7th Gym: Calm Mind
    8th Gym: Water Pulse

Now, only two of those moves in question lost TM status in 5th Gen (Shock Wave got replaced by Sludge Wave, Water Pulse got replaced by Psyshock) so I think the 3rd and 8th Gyms will give out a different move of the same type (Electric and Water in this case) in OR/AS. 3rd Gym's new TM prize I think should be Charge Beam or Volt Switch (although we had previous Electric-type Gyms give out those as well, but then again a few of the Kalos Gyms gave out non-6th Gen moves as TMs. Grant even gave out Rock Tomb as his TM prize as well, just like Roxanne did) while 8th Gym will probably give out Scald (although Unova's 8th Gym in B2/W2 had that same thing).

I've got a feeling the rest will keep their original TM prizes.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • My guess for TMs in ORAS, if there is more than one, the first one is what I think is most likely:
    Roxanne - Rock Tomb
    Brawly - Bulk Up/Power Up Punch
    Wattson - Volt Switch/Charge Beam
    Flannery - Overheat/Flame Charge
    Norman - Facade/Retaliate
    Winona - Aerial Ace
    Tate&Liza - Calm Mind/Psyshock/Trick Room
    Juan/Wallace - Scald

Last edited:

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
  • I would rather have them change all of them aesthetically for nostalgic purposes. Just change up their clothing and teams; remodel the gyms and the Elite Four/Champion rooms.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • My guess for TMs in ORAS, if there is more than one, the first one is what I think is most likely:
    Roxanne - Rock Tomb
    Brawly - Bulk Up/Power Up Punch
    Wattson - Volt Switch/Charge Beam
    Flannery - Overheat/Flame Charge
    Norman - Facade/Retaliate
    Winona - Aerial Ace
    Tate&Liza - Calm Mind/Psyshock/Trick Room
    Juan/Wallace - Scald
    This looks good to me, though I think Brawly would give Bulk Up before anything else, and Flannery's strategy could revolve around Camerupt Flame Charging and then Overheat/Bulldozing to death, so that's a SCARY thought. Winona might give Sky Drop instead; I believe Altaria can learn it? And Tate&Liza have slow Pokemon so their strategy could definitely revolve around Trick Room which is equally as scary.

Years
  • This looks good to me, though I think Brawly would give Bulk Up before anything else, and Flannery's strategy could revolve around Camerupt Flame Charging and then Overheat/Bulldozing to death, so that's a SCARY thought. Winona might give Sky Drop instead; I believe Altaria can learn it? And Tate&Liza have slow Pokemon so their strategy could definitely revolve around Trick Room which is equally as scary.

Retaliate Slaking? That's quite the scary thought as well. They're most likely not going to change the types or people of any of the gyms or elite four, because it has been confirmed as a complete remake. However, they may change the clothing or hair styles of some of the leaders, and maybe even give them more involvement in the meddling of Team Magma/Aqua. It would be an interesting twist to have Flannery become an associate of Magma, and Wallace/Juan with Aqua. I could see Norman getting a bigger role, as he is the player's father in the original RSE games, and that was basically left alone for most of the story. There's a lot of potential to beef up the plot lines, but nothing too radical.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • This looks good to me, though I think Brawly would give Bulk Up before anything else, and Flannery's strategy could revolve around Camerupt Flame Charging and then Overheat/Bulldozing to death, so that's a SCARY thought. Winona might give Sky Drop instead; I believe Altaria can learn it? And Tate&Liza have slow Pokemon so their strategy could definitely revolve around Trick Room which is equally as scary.

I recalled when I fought T&L in the PWT when they nearly destroyed me with trick room, so I can definitely see that as a possibility.

Wanted to add Sky Drop actually, but only Pelipper and Skarmory can learn it.

Power up punch for Brawly could be very devastating as well. It raises Attack and inflicts damage at the same time. Now with the new special/physical split, bulk up may not be as significant as it was in RSE... But for realism (this is the 2nd gym), I think Bulk Up is still the more likely TM.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Power up punch for Brawly could be very devastating as well. It raises Attack and inflicts damage at the same time. Now with the new special/physical split, bulk up may not be as significant as it was in RSE... But for realism (this is the 2nd gym), I think Bulk Up is still the more likely TM.

Power Up Punch would be devastating for Brawly, considering at lower levels OHKOs are not so common and every Pokémon has decent bulk. By the time his Machop finishes with Combusken, he would be able to OHKO Taillow before Taillow can land in the second Wing Attack.

I totally agree about the Trick Room part, especially since it's a double battle and most of their Pokémon spam Calm Mind, but their original TM Calm Mind was probably the most useful TM in the entire game (basically OHKOd Wallace's entire Champion team), so I'm hoping we get that instead.

Flannery could use Overheat and Flame Charge to her advantage because of the Physical/Special split, because using Overheat wouldn't affect Flame Charge's power if you manage to scrape by with low HP. Wattson should definitely give out Charge Beam because his Manectric and Magneton would be much more deadly if they are equipped with it, a few Charge Beams and Double Teams and then Thunderbolt.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Power Up Punch would be devastating for Brawly, considering at lower levels OHKOs are not so common and every Pokémon has decent bulk. By the time his Machop finishes with Combusken, he would be able to OHKO Taillow before Taillow can land in the second Wing Attack.

I totally agree about the Trick Room part, especially since it's a double battle and most of their Pokémon spam Calm Mind, but their original TM Calm Mind was probably the most useful TM in the entire game (basically OHKOd Wallace's entire Champion team), so I'm hoping we get that instead.

Flannery could use Overheat and Flame Charge to her advantage because of the Physical/Special split, because using Overheat wouldn't affect Flame Charge's power if you manage to scrape by with low HP. Wattson should definitely give out Charge Beam because his Manectric and Magneton would be much more deadly if they are equipped with it, a few Charge Beams and Double Teams and then Thunderbolt.
    I don't think Calm Mind would be as useful (for them) as it were in RSE. Assuming if Tate & Liza used the same Lunatone and Solrock as in RS, Trick Room could be more devastating especially for a double battle.

However, I would see myself use Calm Mind more than Trick Room, definitely.

Volt Switch is more of an annoyance than power, which is actually quite perfect for a 3rd gym. I remembered in BW Elesa's Emolgas were annoying as heck, but not really difficult.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I don't think Calm Mind would be as useful (for them) as it were in RSE. Assuming if Tate & Liza used the same Lunatone and Solrock as in RS, Trick Room could be more devastating especially for a double battle.

In Emerald, they have Claydol and Xatu, too, remember. Claydol also has Calm Mind and I'm sure someone would have Reflect to raise a double barrier against us to spam Calm Mind and KO us. That way I guess Calm Mind is also very useful for them.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • In Emerald, they have Claydol and Xatu, too, remember. Claydol also has Calm Mind and I'm sure someone would have Reflect to raise a double barrier against us to spam Calm Mind and KO us. That way I guess Calm Mind is also very useful for them.

I actually cannot imagine this: what if instead of a Xatu, it'll be a Grumpig or Chimecho. One knows reflect + light screen, the other knows trick room. Both with calm mind.

Man, it could be TERRIBLY nasty, and perfect for possibly a rematch.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I actually cannot imagine this: what if instead of a Xatu, it'll be a Grumpig or Chimecho. One knows reflect + light screen, the other knows trick room. Both with calm mind.

Man, it could be TERRIBLY nasty, and perfect for possibly a rematch.

That would be awesome. I'm surprised Game Freak hasn't come up with these kind of ideas because this is a perfect way to make Gym Leaders much stronger. And with Focus Blast/Ice Beam and Shadow Ball they could practically cover every single Pokémon type and even more! In Emerald, they do get Pokémon from all regions for rebattles, so I can just imagine the potential of these two combined with stronger stuff like Reinclus and Sigilyph.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • That would be awesome. I'm surprised Game Freak hasn't come up with these kind of ideas because this is a perfect way to make Gym Leaders much stronger. And with Focus Blast/Ice Beam and Shadow Ball they could practically cover every single Pokémon type and even more! In Emerald, they do get Pokémon from all regions for rebattles, so I can just imagine the potential of these two combined with stronger stuff like Reinclus and Sigilyph.

A reinculus with trick room is one hell of a killing machine.

As for the other leaders, I hope they get some changes as well. The last gym could have a Gyarados (WTR/FLY), Tentacruel (WTR/PSN), or even a Kingdra in addition to Milotic and Whiscash. Milotic is the star of course, but other add ons could be great.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    A reinculus with trick room is one hell of a killing machine.

As for the other leaders, I hope they get some changes as well. The last gym could have a Gyarados (WTR/FLY), Tentacruel (WTR/PSN), or even a Kingdra in addition to Milotic and Whiscash. Milotic is the star of course, but other add ons could be great.

I think strategies like this that are inspired by competitive play are the way to go for the gyms. As Milotic is the star, it could set up a good defence and inflict stuff like Toxic on our Pokémon and do Rain Dance as well. Gyarados and Kingdra could make good use of it, and so can all Pokémon with Swift Swim. Kingdra has this annoying habit of using Double Team and then Dragon Dance to finish off with Hydro Pump or Dragonbreath. Imagine that boosted with rain, and Dragon Pulse instead of Dragonbreath! It would be really hard to just scrape by the gym.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I think strategies like this that are inspired by competitive play are the way to go for the gyms. As Milotic is the star, it could set up a good defence and inflict stuff like Toxic on our Pokémon and do Rain Dance as well. Gyarados and Kingdra could make good use of it, and so can all Pokémon with Swift Swim. Kingdra has this annoying habit of using Double Team and then Dragon Dance to finish off with Hydro Pump or Dragonbreath. Imagine that boosted with rain, and Dragon Pulse instead of Dragonbreath! It would be really hard to just scrape by the gym.

Kingdra could also use smokescreen, which is also pretty annoying.
    Milotic with mirror coat. Yum.

Actually, GF could add in some sort of puzzle to reach the Elite Four member. Sidney can have a maze in some sort of dungeon, Phoebe's room can be similar to one in the Ecruteak Gym, Glacia an ice puzzle and Drake... No idea. Haha.

Gyms have puzzles, they could certainly do it with the E4 as well.

Back